Dominicans in Winnipeg & 829 area code problems

CWF

Aug 19, 2009
My wife is moving here at the end of the year from DR and I am sure she/we would like to see if there are any Dominicans living in Winnipeg.

Plus, has anyone had problems in Canada sending text messages to DR, from Telus to the Orange network with and 829 area code. When I was on Rogers it worked fine but she does not receive my text messages on Telus, yet the Claro network receives them.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
I have Telus in Ontario, and no problems sending to an 829 Orange number. Perhaps its on their side. I remember i was having a problem with that last year.

PrincesseEm

Dec 2, 2008
I'm with Telus in Alberta and have no problem texting to any number down there. I know that folks in Saskatchewan seem to have issues texting to the DR, be it Sasktel or Telus.

A couple of weeks ago there were some major network problems with Orange and text messages I sent and received were hours, sometimes even a day or two late. Talk about making it difficult to have a coherent conversation!

CWF

Aug 19, 2009
I have since found out that there are issues with the third party carrier routes all the text message recognising the phone number with a very complicated response from telus. I also have an issue using my MTS calling Card which does want to work to the 829 570 prefix. They dont know why and are trying to resolve it. I can receive text messages from her, call her direct with my telus phone and she can call me but she does not get the text messages. Of course telus loves that as instead of 10 cents a minute they now get to charge me outrageous long distance fees to call her and my calling card wont work to call 829 but it works for 809 which is her land line.

So any dominican living in winnipeg? I meet lots on the planse flying to and from there but they all are in Toronto. I am sure once she comes here it would be nice for her to have some friends from her homeland.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
If you want to save some money with calls, you can get phone cards. I found a good deal with HOT, if you buy the $1 cards you get a much better deal than with the $5 cards. If you make one long call, you can talk for 20min with $1, 5 cents a minute is a pretty good rate.

Sunflower333

May 25, 2009
Hi, this is my first post here.
I am from Winnipeg as well and hopefully my husband will be here in the new year.
He receives my texts on his Orange phone.
I also buy calling cards from 7-11 and it works out to 3 cents a minute. Can't complain about that!!

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Orange.com.do - mini-mens@jes

Ask her to buy a RD $ 100. Orange calling card so that you can log in this website with the pin number. This way you can send text messages from your computer, is safe and you can see if it went thru, I think is RD. $ 1.00 / text.

JJ

CWF

Aug 19, 2009
it has nothing to do with her calling me or me calling here it has to do with text messages between telus and orange.

CWF

Aug 19, 2009
i acutally pay 10 cents a minute to call here with my land line and calling card, the text message are supposed to be 10 cents per text with telus as well just wont go to the orange number

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
same problem out of sask tel in sask

my friend had same problem.... her boyfriend went and upgraded his sim card and problem solved. Maybe that is the issue with your wife also? how long has she had her sim card.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
i acutally pay 10 cents a minute to call here with my land line and calling card, the text message are supposed to be 10 cents per text with telus as well just wont go to the orange number

Hey buddy just ask her to swicht to a different company, Claro would be good so can send all the text message you want for free from this website Claro que tienes ms and this company have the best roamming in the DR, that is the one I use whem there.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Oh, I forgot this... Now whe you swicth to a different telephone company you have the same number, just apply for "LA PORTABILIDAD NUMERICA" I think it will cost is RD $ 80. for ten years (new governmentb proyect) it was suppouse to start this month.

JJ

jackalacka26

Aug 27, 2009
I have the same problem here in sask I'm with sasktel and my boyfriend is verizon? And 829 area code he can send me texts but I can't send back I have also tried sending to a friend who is with orange and a different area code still won't work its super frustrating!

CWF

Aug 19, 2009
Hey buddy just ask her to swicht to a different company, Claro would be good so can send all the text message you want for free from this website Claro que tienes ms and this company have the best roamming in the DR, that is the one I use whem there.

She has a one year contract, not that easy, if we could switch it would have been done by now.

She got orange because most of her family is on it and it is free orange to orange calls.

But thanks anyways, buddy.

CWF

Aug 19, 2009
my friend had same problem.... her boyfriend went and upgraded his sim card and problem solved. Maybe that is the issue with your wife also? how long has she had her sim card.

they gave her a new one when she got the phone in March of this year. They changed her number from 809 to 829 for some reason. Does not matter for the next month, I am going to be there.

CWF

Aug 19, 2009
I have the same problem here in sask I'm with sasktel and my boyfriend is verizon? And 829 area code he can send me texts but I can't send back I have also tried sending to a friend who is with orange and a different area code still won't work its super frustrating!

Yeah, it kind of sucks when it worked fine on rodgers but when telus got me as a customer and assured me i could send text to DR, now it does not work. I even can't use my calling card with the telus phone, I have to use a pay phone but i can call direct with the telus phone at high rates.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I wish there was some way to make my texts go through!

I guess you did not read my previous post, if the text won't go through to 829 from your cell phone, send them for free to Claro/Verizon from the site I posted.