Pedernales and Andino

Feb 15, 2005
According to reports, Andino Cement has been given 24hours to either accept a relocation or the Government may take eminent domain over the property.

Apparently, Andino Cement has not been producing cement for a year and preventing a possible investment in the Cabo Rojo area.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Hmmm, I haven't heard anything about that. Do you have any links?

Maybe the no-cement-factory-in-national-park trend is really taking off. :cheeky:

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Its not the unfinished cement factory they are discussing here....

....it is part of the land that came with Andino as an "acquired right of use" when they bought the concession years ago..........Andino can still mine and they can still produce cement whether they have the land in question or not.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
empty cement factory funny FTZ lots of drugs

Yeah there is something odd down there with that non functioning cement factory... which also has a deep water pier... which also has a supposed "FTZ" which actually does nothing but sort and repackage used clothing .. don't even know where the used clothing is coming in from since the Haitian border market in Anse A Pitres is just not that big.

Puts the hair on the back of my neck straight up and I start howling like a bloodhound

There is a whole group of Columbians in residence down there both in the apartments belonging to the Concrete company at a aparthotel who reportedly stay around most of the day and smoke reefer.....

I went up to a couple of obviously foreign women in the market one day all cheerful and asked if they were French ... answer ,, no Columbian
WOW big mistake I could feel the ice from their eyes even though it was about 43 degrees in the desert summer.... A new definition of Chill and they were sure on something other than reefer....

up to last year ago Pedernales was really drug free - they used to brag that No Hay Delinquencia Aqui

but now, according to a Peace Corps volunteer who went back for a visit, all she heard was "ay, ahora hay muchas drugas aqui:" The fisherman were used to going offshore to snag the big white packages..... and the places (and hotels) where the "narcotrafficants" hang out or own are all well know,

So really, if you want tourism, and foreign residents, lets get back to the project

Do NOT OPEN THE PRODUCT HERE IN THE DR...

very very sloppy work...

Remember how the mob did it?

I remember when I was a kid in NYC and my Mom had a map on fridge of where my brother and I could walk - basically just the West Village and Little Italy. She always explained that that territory was controlled by the Mob so that children were completely safe.

DO NOT LET THE COKE OUT ON THE ISLAND

Feb 15, 2005
The point of it all that I'm very skeptical about is why does the government want to allow one Colombian mining company develop a resort on land that is currently occupied by another Colombian mining company. Andino hasn't produced cement in over a year.

There are no custom agents checking incoming ships or outgoing trucks. 1 mile from the Haitian border etc...

I'm not at all saying that there is illegal activity there because I don't have any proof, but many people have question this new battle on the border and it bares watching.

Reactions: mountainannie
Feb 15, 2005
I prefer that Pedernales gets built outside of the Bahia de Las Aguilas, such as Cabo Rojo. The more activity in the area the less, major drug activity can take place. Sure low level drugs will grow, which is natural. But these organizations look for isolated areas, such as: Barahona, Pedernales, Azua, Samana, eastern part of the Romana. All the other areas are resort populated and therefore not easy for air drops or speed boat drops, because there are just too many risks, too many people watching.

I realize that many don't want Pedernales developed, however, these bad organizations don't want them developed either. Wouldn't small ecological developments help limit these isolated pockets of land, put more people to work and cut down on the hunger many of these campesinos suffer who then have to resort to what ever means available to put food on the table.

Feb 15, 2005
Listen the only way to expose, whatever is going on in Pedernales is to speak about it in a forum such as this and bring it all forward. The ONLY way to stop unwanted activity is to call attention to it. The only way to stop corruption is to call attention to it.