Who was/is Pedro Clisante?

Status
Not open for further replies.

headnerd

Dec 28, 2006
Sosua, Puerto Plata and several other towns have streets named after him (Pedro Clisante)... does anyone know who he was/is?

I tried to google him, but came up dry.

Thanks!

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
He was a Puerto Rican baseball player who played in the big leagues but also played in the DR a lot back in the time....like the 60's and early 70's I think. So I hear anyway.
Maybe some baseball historians can shed better light on him. He was an outfielder I understand. Had some political connections.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
Pedro Clisante was an office clerk of Dr. Alejo Martinez who was a physician. they were opponents of the Trujillo regime. Alejo Martinez was killed at his home when he answered the door, shot dead on his porch. Pedro Clisante was killed running an errand. a phone call sent him on an errand and as he approached a military post the soldiers blasted him off his motobike.
the day before Martinez and Clisante had help transport people to a rally in Puerto Plata.

my information is from a Dominican Archivist at the Dominican Studies Institute in NYC (she is on an assignment here in Washington DC). there is also information about Pedro Clisante in the Dominican Encyclopedia which is a CD-ROM.

Last edited:

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Ya think Pedro would like the way his name sake street turned out in Sosua? If he was into bars and hookers then he would have been the happiest man in the DR.

Status
Not open for further replies.