Transit through the US

CanWest66

May 11, 2008
Canada
Does anyone know if a Dominican with Canadian PR can transit through the US from Canada on the way to the DR?
I am looking for various flight options for travel to the DR in December with my wife.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Hi Can West
once your wife is in Canada she then needs to apply for a visitor visa to the US. She can't travel to the US without one nor can she transit through the US on her first flight to Canada

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
She can apply for a US Transit Visa( all the info is available under the Question and Answers under Visa section of the American Embassy in the Dominican Republic). We recently had one of Yris's teacher's come for a course here in Canada for 6 weeks and this is what she was given. All done within a two week period. It will be much easier to do once she has her Canadian papers/Visa.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Does anyone know if a Dominican with Canadian PR can transit through the US from Canada on the way to the DR?
I am looking for various flight options for travel to the DR in December with my wife.

I don't think he/she needs anything. There a spot on the I-94 for "in transit" and connecting flights.

Nonetheless, I suspect the Cdn PR overides any Dominican stautus.
Canadins travel and connect thru the US all the time.
As a Cdn PR, she is a Cdn... period.

Ask the airline ... they are the ones coordinating the travel.

My guess is ---FLY ON !!

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com

I am certainly not an expert BUT I don't believe this is quite true.

As a CDN PR you are not yet a Canadian and you do NOT travel on a Canadian passport. A PR in Canada travels on a passport from their birth country but they have Canadian PR status "in Canada" so I believe they are governed by the rules of the passport on which they travel. I too, however am speculating and will defer to anyone who knows to a certainty.

Gregg

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Hi Can West
once your wife is in Canada she then needs to apply for a visitor visa to the US. She can't travel to the US without one nor can she transit through the US on her first flight to Canada

Anna I believe this is 100% correct.

TWOV (transit without visa) was ablished years ago, I recall even pre 9/11.

I would recommend scheduling an appointment at the US consulate sooner rather than later as I believe it can take some time.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Bob, I am not sure what type of visa Yris's teacher received, but it is my understanding that there has not been a transit visa available for the US for years. I am guessing she qualified for a US visitor's visa instead or went to Canada via the US many years ago.

A Dominican with legal permanent residency in the US can enter Canada and Mexico, so perhaps the US reciprocates on that, but I don't know for sure.[/QUOTE

She received a C Visa. She was here from June 22nd to August 14th, 2009. We've now done this 3 times. I know of what I speak. Transit Visa

A person with an imigrant Visa is not considered a PR until they have Landed and been processed by Canadian Immigration in Canada.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I don't think he/she needs anything. There a spot on the I-94 for "in transit" and connecting flights.

Ask the airline ... they are the ones coordinating the travel.

My guess is ---FLY ON !!

Not true. Dominican citizens with a Canadian PR need a visitor visa to enter the US. In this case Can west is asking what to do after his wife lands and has permanent residency in Canada.

Recently one of our poster's husband that has a Canadian PR applied for a visitor visa to the US and was denied.

Here's the list

As of May 27,2007
Countries a Dominican Citizen may travel to VISA FREE Holding Canada Permanent Card

Aruba
Bahamas
Bonaire
Bermuda
Cayman Island/Islas Caimanas
Curacao
El Salvador
Guatemala
Jamaica
Mexico
Nicaragua
Saint Marten/San Martin
Saint Eustatius
Saba
Turks & Caicos/Islas Turcas & Caicos

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Bob when did this C visa go into effect? I know since 911 people have always been told they could not transit through the US.

Sorry Bob, on reading the link I guess it's, no transit without this c visa right?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

No is the answer to your question, She will need either a B or C Visa as per the link
I attached in previous post.

edm7583

May 29, 2007
No is the answer to your question, She will need either a B or C Visa as per the link
I attached in previous post.

This is 100% correct. Even with the Canadian residency, she will need a visa to transit the US. Only if and when she obtains citizenship will she be able to transit the US visa-free.

Foreigners with US residency are routinely allowed to visit and transit Canada and Mexico without a visa. For example, a Dominican citizen needs a visa to enter Mexico, but if it is a Dominican with permanent US residency, they would not need a visa to visit Mexico. The US does not reciprocate this. Unless the foreigner is eligible for the Visa Waiver Program, they must get a visa regardless of their country of residence.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Slightly off topic.... watch your record when you cross the US-Canada border.

In the US, charges like DUI (or any alcohol offenses) and marajuana posession are considered state violations. In Canada, they are considered Federal violations and can be grounds to refuse entry.

This applies to Canadian entry, not US.

Arrivals by air are usually fully scanned on entry. Land/surface arrivals do not get the same scrutiny.

I got this info from a Federal MP when trying to help my DUI friend across the border.

Americans have a very sophisticated system.
Another friend was transfered to Delaware to run multi-national company. He was 55 years old.
When applying for his driving license, they flagged him and pulled him in for secondary questioning.
He had an outstanding traffic ticket in Maine issued when he was at university in the Maritimes--- the 60's (no computers) -- as he was shortcutting back to Ontario.

Everything was waived BUT... don't fool yourself - they know what they are doing.

My immigration lawyer gave me good advice ...... NEVER ARGUE WITH THE US IMMIGRATION OFFICIAL IN THE BOOTH.
He has no superior you can talk to. He alone interprets the law. No second opinion.!!

Next stop..... Federal Court!!

Take off your sunglasses, smile and say Sir or Maam ! 3 bags full !!

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Slightly off topic.... watch your record when you cross the US-Canada border.

In the US, charges like DUI (or any alcohol offenses) and marajuana posession are considered state violations. In Canada, they are considered Federal violations and can be grounds to refuse entry.

This applies to Canadian entry, not US.

Arrivals by air are usually fully scanned on entry. Land/surface arrivals do not get the same scrutiny.

I got this info from a Federal MP when trying to help my DUI friend across the border.

Americans have a very sophisticated system.
Another friend was transfered to Delaware to run multi-national company. He was 55 years old.
When applying for his driving license, they flagged him and pulled him in for secondary questioning.
He had an outstanding traffic ticket in Maine issued when he was at university in the Maritimes--- the 60's (no computers) -- as he was shortcutting back to Ontario.

Everything was waived BUT... don't fool yourself - they know what they are doing.

My immigration lawyer gave me good advice ...... NEVER ARGUE WITH THE US IMMIGRATION OFFICIAL IN THE BOOTH.
He has no superior you can talk to. He alone interprets the law. No second opinion.!!

Next stop..... Federal Court!!

Take off your sunglasses, smile and say Sir or Maam ! 3 bags full !!

And they are bred to have no sense of humour - LOL.

Gregg

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
And they are bred to have no sense of humour - LOL.

Gregg

That is so true, Gregg. I taught with a man who also worked part time at the Rainbow Bridge as an Immigration inspector. He had absolutely NO sense of humor!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
GateKeepers

That is so true, Gregg. I taught with a man who also worked part time at the Rainbow Bridge as an Immigration inspector. He had absolutely NO sense of humor!

The Canadians are the worst -- flat as a pancake.
The Americans are better - sometimes even you welcome home

But when the dung hits the spinning blade--- stand back !!
They are all fierce - woe be to the transgressor.

If you want a mild taste of their fury..... the next time you enter the US by air and are in the line waiting for Immigration- just pull out your cell phone and make a couple of calls.

You become VERY popular, VERY fast ! Cover your ears !!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
The Canadians are the worst -- flat as a pancake.
The Americans are better - sometimes even you welcome home

I couldnt agree more!

I have even found the US agents jovial on occasion...and I cross the border almost every 2 months or more.