Restaurant choices?

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
We go to Santiago about every 5-6 weeks, just to get a shopping fix. However since time is always shorter than is needed we haven't found a great place to stop and have lunch... Coming from Puerto Plata and going to the usual suspects to stock up... Price Smart etc....
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
El Carrito de Marchena... Estrella Sadhala 45
809-583-6355

Close to Price Smart....enjoy;)

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
That's impossible. How can you not find a descent place to eat in Santiago. The city is full of cheap to upscale restaurants.

What are you looking for so we can better guide you? What do you fancy????

May 12, 2005
Try Max Delicia's at the end of Calle Del Sol where it runs into the circle at the intersection of the autopista and Estrella Sadhala.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
We like all types of food, just thought someone might have a suggestion of a "have to try", Italian, Chinese, Dominican, TGIF's is not our idea of a good time, nor is KFC.... we like real food, prepared fresh, if that helps any... tomorrow is the chosen day...
Thanks for the suggestions already made.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
For Italian I would go where BP is suggesting. I don't know about Chinese. For Dominican Frank's recommendation is very good. For steak try El Rancho near the monumento. Kukaramakara is also descent (right on the monumento). For all healthy foods/snacks go to Tasa right next to the ayuntamiento. I highly recommend it. They have really good smoothies.

Also, La Campana and La Parrillita restaurant are great. In La Camapana I had the best churrasco in all of the DR.

Enjoy :) And also let us know what you think of the places.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are about 14 restaurants within walking distance of my house.
For sandwiches: La Campagna: They have four locales: One is on the road to Gurabo, just past Hache going towards Puerto Plata on your right. Another is on Duarte Ave, just past Plaza Internacional, on your right, Another is on Calle6 in Los Jardines in back of the Politecnico Feminino and the fourth is on Jacinto Dumit, off of Bartolom? Colon.
For good food, any style: PeZ Dorado (across the street from La Altagracia Church --the big white one with twin towers you can see from the Monumento--one of the oldest and best in Santiago. Wear a sweater!)
Also for fine food there is ZOL on Calle 11 just around the corner from Bon on Av. Metropolitana in the Jardines.
Also on Calle 2 in Los Jardines is a wonderful place run by Juan Torrens and his wife. Left side about 2/3s of the way down the street.

The is Pasticcio in back of Nacional Supermarket, good Italian.
There is D'Amici on Calle 11 in Los Jardines, across the street from La Epoca

I also give votes to la Parrillita and to Nano's on Benito Juarez in Villa Olga, just past the baseball field.

HB

May 12, 2005
I heard Zol has been sold and has a new owner. The place is being renovated and will reopen shortly with the name of Soho. Much of the menu will be kept.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Just got home, tired but stocked up again. We went to La Campagna, since we had been at La Sierrna and someone was getting peckish!!!! The food (sandwiches) was terrific... and just what was needed. The deserts tempted me but I was to full!!!!
We will keep trying a different one each time, as we find things, we did see a couple of the others mentioned (after we ate of course). Nice to find real food! Thanks

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
to my surprise the food court at the shell station in Estrella sadalhala in fornt of el Puerton de la pUCMM its call SquareOne has pretty good selection.. when in town and you need to head out to Price mart.. try it. I give it my 2 tumbs up,,,,,
I eat their quite often. Their cheesecake is one of the best i nthe country.