Driving from Santiago to Punta Cana

Aug 25, 2008
Can anybody give me a good time estimate for driving from Santiago directly to Punta Cana? I'm leaving on Friday around 5 pm, would it be possible/practical to get to Punta Cana the same day, even if its late? (and would it be safe???) I've gone once before, by bus, but with all the stops its hard to compare.

Oh, and I've heard there's two routes? one that passes through San Pedro and the other one doesn't? Which would be better?

Any info would be appreciated...thanks.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I don't know the exact driving directions but have heard from folks that driving time is anywhere between 6 and 7 hours.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You can do this backwards.

Directions from Punta Cana to POP

This has been discussed recently, do a search with keywords "punta cana puerto plata" and the search should result you all necessary information you need.

Brief summary:

There are two options:

1) via Santo Domingo (bus or driving)
2) flying from PUJ to POP
===============================

1) Take the road (bus) from Punta Cana via Higuey to Santo Domingo. From Santo Domingo take the road (bus) to Puerto Plata.

The bus from Punta Cana is Expreso Santo Domingo - Bavaro. Alternative options include Expreso Bavaro - Higuey with change of buses (non-complicated) Higuey - Santo Domingo.
To find out more do a search with keywords "Punta Cana Expreso Santo Domingo". This should result you in all info you need.

If you are driving just take this road: Punta Cana - Higuey - Romana - San Pedro (do not enter San Pedro, just take the exit to autopista about 10kms before SP, there are signs) - Santo Domingo (enter SDQ via Autopista Las Americas, continue on to 27 de Febrero "elevado").

In SDQ take bus from the Expreso Bavaro/Higuey stop at Parque Enriquillo to Caribe Tours or Metro bus terminal. Ride fare approx. RD$150

From Santo Domingo take Caribe Tours or Metro busses. Do a search with keywords "Santo Domingo Puerto Plata" and that should yield you all info you need.

If you are driving just continue 27 de Febrero (via "elevado") to Maximo Gomez. Make right turn and continue to Av. Kennedy (you will see a Banco Popular tower on your right, that is Kennedy). Make a left turn and continue via Av. Kennedy all the way through getting to Autopista Duarte, and keep on your way north, passing Bonao, La Vega, and Santiago.
After Santiago there is a crossroad (with roadsigns) directing you to Puerto Plata.

2) Second option is flying from PUJ to POP via a local connection. Price is approximately 200-300 USD round-trip. There is also a post about this, so do a search.

It is a god 6 hours for a neophyte....be careful...Your biggest headache is really Higuey. There are a couple of tricky turns, but you just say "Punta Cana??" and they will point you in the right direction or pay $20 pesos to a motoconcho to shoy the way to the way out of town..

HB

Aug 25, 2008
Just wanted to update my post - I did the drive from Santiago to Punta Cana this past Friday. Left Santiago around 5:30 pm and decided to stop over at family in La Romana because I arrived there around 10 pm.

Instructions given from Hillbilly are accurate - just took me way longer because I got lost in Santo Domingo, due to the fact that when I was on the Kennedy I took all the "elevados" and "tuneles", so I passed righ over the Maximo Gomez by mistake, when I realized had to turn back and lost a lot of time. I would recommend being careful after going through the long tunnel on the 27 de febrero, the road forks and to take the Americas you need to turn to the right.

Santo Domingo - San Pedro, no problems, pretty straightforward though they?re renovating with a few "desvios" and at night its not that easy to see where you?re going. San Pedro - Romana, the road is worse and very dark and solitary. We were two women traveling alone so I didn't feel very safe.
Left La Romana around 11 am next day and arrived at the hotel around 1:30 pm. This would take much less time if 1) the signs were clearer 2) the roads were better 3)the roads were wider. When you pass through Higuey, definitely ask where to turn to Punta Cana/Bavaro cause it is NOT obvious. Then just keep on going till Ver?n, where you'll have to turn left at the gas station. Straight again till you start seeing signs to the different hotels in Punta Cana, then we just stopped and asked again. Everyone was very helpful and gave decent directions (not always so in DR).

I was surprised at the conditions the road were in from Higuey to Punta Cana, shameful for a tourist area. They're renovating around San Pedro and that part will be excellent soon, but Punta Cana needs serious work. I'm glad I did that leg of the trip by day.

Going back (Punta Cana - Santiago). Left Punta Cana at 4:30 pm, stopped in Santo Domingo to eat, arrived at Santiago at 11. So discounting 1 hour for the stop, took us around 5 1/2 hours, driving safely. Would be much less if there were a decent "autopista" to Punta Cana, (for example, we got stuck behind a line of buses and cars and no getting around them for 15 minutes).

Again, thanks to everyone that responded. DR1 is the place to go for help!

Aug 25, 2008
Pd

I forgot to add- the trip was fine for me, but I wouldn't do it again, for just one day/night at the hotel. I like road trips but when they're this long and you're on a schedule, you don't have time to stop and look around and get a sense of the different towns and cities. The only reason I did it was to join up with a group of cousins and friends I wouldn't have seen otherwise.