Yac?n

Tropicdude

May 26, 2009
While surfing the net looking for information regarding Lucuma, I came across a tuber crop from South America. Smallanthus sonchifolius

Common Names: Yac?n, arboloco, j?quima, jiquimilla, aricoma

And although I know it grows here in the Dominican Republic ( or did at one time )**, I do not know what the locals call it here.

yacon.jpg

60876.JPG

Does anyone in the forum know the local name of this plant? anyone have available?

Its not planted by seed.

** Before the second world war an Italian agronomist called Mario Calvino introduced Yacon to europe, He met Smallanthus sonchifolius by chance, while he was working in the Dominican Republic.

So obviously at one time this plant at least was growing here at one time. I wonder if there are any left. they almost became extinct in the 80s, but are now becoming popular.

any help?

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
don't know,
i don't like Yucca neither.
has absolutely no taste IMO.
Mike

That's because you haven't tasted it the way I prepare it :cheeky:

I make a killer Yuca mash. I add a little garlic and butter. Tastes really good. I learned this from my Dominican grand mother.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Tropicdude, the tuber you mention is not yuca.

All my kids hate yuca and I'm the only one who eats it. Mashed yuca topped with onion rings sauteed in olive oil and vinegar with some fried white cheese(queso frito)...gotta go and buy some yuca now.:laugh:

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Yuca mash smoothened with butter sounds more my style,
never tasted it that way,
only the more dry variations usually available when you grab a snack on the road.
will keep that in mind when the Mrs prepares Yuca for the boy next time,
he is a lover of that stuff.
Mike

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
just realized i changed my spelling without paying attention to it.
so it is Yuca with 1 "C"? or is it written with 2 "CC"?
Mike

Yes Mike, yuca with one "c", yucca with two"c's" is a plant we have all over in the High Desert, unfortunately it isn't edible.:disappoin

Tropicdude

May 26, 2009
Yac?n (Smallanthus sonchifolius) is not the same thing as Yuca (Manihot esculenta) which is really Cassava. Yak?n is a sweet crispy root, kind of like an apple , its called ground apple in some places. Yac?n is being processed to make Yac?n flour, and Syrup, The syrup is low calorie sweetener and has a low glycemic index.

Here is a picture of the common "Yuca" or Cassava ( Manihot esculenta ):

cassava1.jpg

its very different from Yac?n ( Smallanthus sonchifolius )

60876.JPG

I am starting to believe that this plant has died out in the Dominican Republic.
no one I have shown it to, has ever seen this plant.

Here are some Yac?n products now being commercialized in other countries.

yacon.jpg

Yacon.jpg

272.jpg

Yac?n looks like it could be an interesting future crop in the DR, from what I have been able to learn so far is that it tolerates a wide range of soils, ( after all the natives once cultivated it here ).

If anyone comes across this plant please post or PM me, thanks

Last edited:

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
that looks like ?ame moreso than yuca....but then again i doubt thats what it is. never seen or heard of it.