Recent Southwest Trip Photos

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
Again...
Thanks to all the southwest posters for your abundance of information. This trip was sort of a last minute plan. We were in the capital and around 2pm decided to head out to the southwest with no real plan, hotel, or anything else. Figured we would play it day to day and i did have my blackberry to check info on dr1. We reached barahona around 6pm. This included a few stops here and there and Pollos Rey in Azua. We were looking for Playa Azul to stay the night but unfortunately it was getting dark quick so we checked into Costa Larimar, which seemed to be the only viable option at that time. Had i known that Playa Azul was so close i would have went there.
Woke up early, had breakfast, and hit the road. Larimar costed RD$3500 for the night including breakfast for two. A little pricey if you ask me and that was NOT the gringo price. This hotel just didnt do it for me. Wouldnt stay there again. I see the sign to Playa Azul went in just to check it out. The place took our breath away. Would have been the perfect place for us and will definately stay there next trip. The view was just spectacular. The price for two was RD$2,000 for the night and from what i seen well worth it. This was Minervas reccomendation and i agree. Next stop was the Laguna. This was a quick stop as we wanted to get to Bahia d Las Aguilas in the worst way. Will be back again to really check it out. It reminded me of a science fiction movie.

It was a long drive but finally made it. Got there around 1 30pm. The road leading in had these tiny dips the entire length. It was pretty bumpy. Dont eat before hand. The trick here, according to the locals, was to go at least 40 KPH and you really dont feal the dips. We tried it on the way out and guess what... its true. Much easier ride going fast. Just be careful.

Took the boat over. Side note to anyone thinking about driving to the actual beach instead of taking the boat. There was an SUV stuck on the hill going back. See in the photos. This SUV was there when we arrived and 4 hours later when we left the beach. They couldnt make it up the hill. Not sure if they ever did. The boat operator said he would have to get like 5 guys to push him up and over. Obviously wasnt the first time this has happened. The photos of the beach speak for themselves. Simply amazing.

Went to Perdinales afterwards. Stayed in Villas del Mar. Decent place for the money RD$1,150. Had empanadas de pollo for breakfast from the local empanada stand in town. Very nice lady. Went to the border of haite just to see it and that was basically it. Wont bore you anymore. Here are a few of the pics. Any questions please ask.

f103zl.jpg

Every turn was an incredible view or something different

wahchj.jpg

One of the scenic overpass.

2mei9u.jpg

This was the beach @ Playa Azul Hotel. Next pic is the stairs leading to this beach. Not sure if its safe to swim but was nice just to sit there for a little while.

68bm1e.jpg

qq6bkw.jpg

Another view of this beach @ Playa Azul Hotel

2i0u6p1.jpg

Fresh Water Pool overlooking beach @ San Rafael.

534tna.jpg

Beach @ San Rafael

2eatl4z.jpg

8zquip.jpg

Swim w/ the local kids. I do NOT reccommend swimming here for the novice swimmer. The waves breaking on the beach will knock you down. The undertow is bad and gets deep quick. For those who insist (as i do), once you get past the waves breaking it is a beautiful swim.

t67252.jpg

Lunch in San Rafael. I felt bad for these little guys for about 5 minutes

n4wr6a.jpg

Best I ever had cooked over wood fire.

347il9j.jpg

Quick dip in Rio d Los Patos

20fzxpw.jpg

Snack in Los Patos... :cheeky: We wernt even hungry but couldnt resist,

zksmit.jpg

Back on the road.

24mcp3p.jpg

Made it after asking directions at the mine.

2labjir.jpg

On the boat getting ready to head over to the bahia

2lj6l3m.jpg

This was the amazing scenery on the way to the beach

fxryhs.jpg

The white suv was stuck there for at least 4 hours while we were at the beach. Better off taking the boat for RD$1800.

2v8paar.jpg

Paradise... we were the only ones on the beach.

radle0.jpg

View from the Tower @ the beach

34sgztc.jpg

Another view in the opposite direction

dwzars.jpg

We really didnt want to leave but was getting late.

xb047m.jpg

Border crossing into Haiti in Pedernales. It seemed as if people came and went as they pleased.

2ryq3pf.jpg

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
WOW...WOW...WOW.....those are some beautiful photos. Thanks so much for posting. I never knew the southwest had so much to offer. I definetly have to make my way there soon.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW you have truly inspired me. I have been putting off the trip to the south west for a while. Next time I am in the DR I am sooo doing this journey!!! It is soooo amazing.

I have 3 questions:
1. How much did you pay for that lobster?
2. At what time do the boats start operating to Bahia De Las Aguilas? (when I go, I want to get there as early as possible so I can enjoy the whole day)
3. Do they sell food on Bahia De Las Aguilas?

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
Hey BigBird.. your welcome. I loved it and cant wait to go back.

El Tigre... glad you liked the pics, The lobster w/ tostones was RD$500 and was unbelievable cooked over a wood fire.

Not sure when the boats get there but i am sure they are there early for the earlybirds. They all pretty much run independent and the prices are negotiable of course. They have food where the boats launch but that is it. Once you get to the actual beach there is absolutely nothing, which is probably a good thing. Allows you to really enjoy and take in the beauty thats there. If you plan to do the whole day there (or even a few hours) you have to bring a cooler w/ food and drinks. We were unprepared for this. The place we took the boat lent us a cooler. We stocked up on some drinks and snacks with them.

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
That lobster is super cheap compared to what I paid in Playa Rincon - Samana. For the same thing I paid $750. This was after bringing it down from $900. :)

Totally agree about the cooler. I actually never leave home without it. Any more pics? We want more :)

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Those are great pics, you made me hungry with the pics of the lobsters and the Totones with the fried fish and the Carnitas asadas.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
EZEQUIEL!!!! Por Dios!! that should be TOSTONES!!! "totones" are something else entirely....they sometimes taste like fish!!!

HB

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
GREAT photos and report - after seeing them we've decided to take a trip out there in January. Thanks!

Lizzard

Sep 11, 2006
Just like everyone else has aleady said WOW Amazing photos. I have been wanting to see the south west for a long time!! Have a really good friend who lives in Canada and is from Baharona and has been telling me for years you have to SEE where I come from . LOL Going to spend 3 weeks in Februrary in the DR again. :) I'm defintitley going to see the South West Coast while I am there! Thanks again for showing us all how beautiful this country is ALL over. :)

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I endorse all GeeDee had written.

We recently did this trip and it is breathtakingly beautiful.

We stayed at Playa Azul and I can strongly recommend this place, excellent value for $$ and good facilities. We went into Barahona itself for dinner most nights for some variety.

Definately bring some bottles of water on the Bahia de Las Aguillas trip....it is VERY hot out there.

The lobster at the restaurant there (La Cueva)...best we have ever eaten, as is the moro de guandules.

This area is by far the best kept secret.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Definitely a beautiful place. It' been a couple of years since I've been there and it looks likes they've added a few palm umbrellas since then. A couple of things for those considering going there:
- Definitely take a cooler full of whatever you need cause once you leave Barahona there's nothing until you get to Pedernales (if you make it all the way to the town)
- Take lots of sunscreen and use it. I don't burn easily, but after a couple of hours there I was very burned.
- Be careful with you possessions. Remember you're out where there's nobody around for miles. I've read of several reports of people who left their stuff alone on the beach and went swimming only to come back and find their stuff gone.
- The boats are pretty much the only way to get to the beach. They overcharge IMO. These people are also the ones who keep the road messed up so you are forced to take a boat and pay through the nose.

All in all the trip is way worth it.

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
Thanks for all the comments.

Yes the boats really do overcharge (US $40-$50 for two) and makes sense that they would keep the road messed up. Now that you mention that i remember the boat operator laughing on the way back that now it will cost the guy in the white suv RD$5,000 to get 4 to 5 guys to push him out. So they will get you either way. Dont let this deter anyone from going to see this place.

tass56

Aug 31, 2006
Like Jim Morrison said,from the DOORS for you youngsters--------"THE WEST IS THE BEST"

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Thanks for those awesome, spectacularly gorgeous pictures, us southwest posters have been vindicated by them, so many people keep saying that the south has nothing to offer, even dominicans!!!

Pretty soon I'll be putting my cabin in Bahoruco for rent for those who want to live like a "campesino" lives; it's my grandmother's house and my mother grew up in this house, there was not much left of it since it was abandoned for almost 10 years and is right on the beach side of the road, the fishermen used it to store their fishing gear, and the sea and hurricane season also had a part in its deterioration. But I"m fixing it up and it's already livable, I actually spend weekends there. Here's a picture:

thehouse.jpg

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Marilyn,

I was one of those Dominicans that USED to say the south west has nothing to offer. I became convinced when I saw pictures and video of a vacation one of my friends took out there a few years ago. I have been wanting to visit and plans always fall apart. I am from Santiago and one of the major reasons why the trip always comes apart is because fo the distance. And, not being informed on where to stay etc. Thanks to all you south west posters I am well informed and will be making the trek next time I am in the country. No doubts about that. I can see how much damage (street term) I can do with my camera (I am an amateur to semi pro photographer).

Question about your estate...how is ventialtion there? Good breezes? A house with coconut palm trees as roof can become quite hot. I've been in them.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Marilyn,

I was one of those Dominicans that USED to say the south west has nothing to offer. I became convinced when I saw pictures and video of a vacation one of my friends took out there a few years ago. I have been wanting to visit and plans always fall apart. I am from Santiago and one of the major reasons why the trip always comes apart is because fo the distance. And, not being informed on where to stay etc. Thanks to all you south west posters I am well informed and will be making the trek next time I am in the country. No doubts about that. I can see how much damage (street term) I can do with my camera (I am an amateur to semi pro photographer).

Question about your estate...how is ventialtion there? Good breezes? A house with coconut palm trees as roof can become quite hot. I've been in them.

Al contrario my dear, a thatched roof (not coconut but palma) is cooler than aluminum, that's why I have left the house like that, besides the fact that I want it that way, the breeze is excellent since the house is right on the beach and very close to the sea (less than 50 meters). I have a lot of windows facing the sea in the back of the house, which is concrete (built recently) to let the sea breeze cool the house in hot weather. My bedroom is in the back facing the sea and even on the hottest nights I can sleep well even when there's no electricity.

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
Thanks for your comments Marilyn...
The cabin looks very inviting. I have slept well under both the thatched roof and aluminum type. Especially when it is raining. The sound of the rain hitting the roof would always put me into a deep hypnotic sleep.

Interesting is your comment that many think that the southwest has nothing to offer even Dominicans. I have to agree. The person i went on this trip with grew up in Enriquillo. She has lived in the states many years now and goes back every so often to visit her grandparents who still live there. When i told her i would like to go to the southwest she asked me if i was crazy and why in the hell would i want to go there. That she only goes there because she has family. Her family even thought i was nuts when i told them i wanted go to drive to pedinales, bahia, etc. When i started pointing things out to her like the shades of turquois blue in the ocean, the mountains, stopping at the scenic overpasses, etc etc. her exact words to me were that she never realized how beautiful everything was. Then she started pointing things out. It was as if it were her first time there. She couldnt believe how incredible BDLA was and that this place existed. Now she cant wait to go back again to do some more exploring. LoL!

I guess its similar to people saying to me they want to visit New York. I always tell the what are you crazy... theres nothing to do here. Save your money! LOL!

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Thanks for your comments Marilyn...
The cabin looks very inviting. I have slept well under both the thatched roof and aluminum type. Especially when it is raining. The sound of the rain hitting the roof would always put me into a deep hypnotic sleep.

Interesting is your comment that many think that the southwest has nothing to offer even Dominicans. I have to agree. The person i went on this trip with grew up in Enriquillo. She has lived in the states many years now and goes back every so often to visit her grandparents who still live there. When i told her i would like to go to the southwest she asked me if i was crazy and why in the hell would i want to go there. That she only goes there because she has family. Her family even thought i was nuts when i told them i wanted go to drive to pedinales, bahia, etc. When i started pointing things out to her like the shades of turquois blue in the ocean, the mountains, stopping at the scenic overpasses, etc etc. her exact words to me were that she never realized how beautiful everything was. Then she started pointing things out. It was as if it were her first time there. She couldnt believe how incredible BDLA was and that this place existed. Now she cant wait to go back again to do some more exploring. LoL!

I guess its similar to people saying to me they want to visit New York. I always tell the what are you crazy... theres nothing to do here. Save your money! LOL!

you're so right, most people take for granted what they have and don't appreciate it. I didn't appreciate my grandmother's house until I went to live in NY, then I would dream about hearing the rain on the roof and the sound of the waves, sitting in front of the beach and watch the sunset.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Al contrario my dear, a thatched roof (not coconut but palma) is cooler than aluminum, that's why I have left the house like that, besides the fact that I want it that way, the breeze is excellent since the house is right on the beach and very close to the sea (less than 50 meters). I have a lot of windows facing the sea in the back of the house, which is concrete (built recently) to let the sea breeze cool the house in hot weather. My bedroom is in the back facing the sea and even on the hottest nights I can sleep well even when there's no electricity.

Los ratones enjoy the palma roof though