Landlord problem?

cafecito123

Aug 24, 2009
I have a potential problem with a former landlord. I moved out of an apartment in Santo Domingo after living there for several years. We cleaned the apartment up well before leaving. The management company was telling me all of the things I would have to do to restore the apartment, like painting, etc, and then they turned around and said what could the owner do, I was leaving the DR, and it would cost them more to sue me than the issue was worth? We didn't do anything as far as repairs, and as far as I am concerned, there were no damages, everything was normal wear and tear. Are they trying to pull something on me as a foreigner?

I still want to return to the Dominican Republic and visit in the future. The thing that concerns me is that the owner is currently going to law school, and he might try to file his own lawsuit against me for damages he claims I am responsible for. If he does this, will they serve me with papers the next time I come into the DR? Is there anywhere on the internet that would show any open lawsuits or claims (or judgements) against me?

Nov 25, 2008
If your contract said, that you have to paint and "cristalizar" the floor before you go then your "normal wear and tear" does not apply; did they give you your deposit?
Normally what the landlord does is deduct what ever expense he has to put the apt. back as it was originally.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
right Jorge,
a usual contract in simple words says that the appartment has to be left in the same condition like it was when moving in. worn out things should be brought back into their prior conditions by repais or replacement.
the deposit is the one used by a landlord to cover "open bills on repairs/replacements".
the moment a landlord gives the deposit back is the moment when all bills of that contract are cleared.
that's the way such is handled down here,
i don't know if there are some laws/rules which would allow a landlord to sue you after he paid back the deposit.
did the landlord request from you specific things to repair/replace and you didn't and left or how you got the notice/idea that there may be a open case against you for that rental?
Mike