Malecon renovations in Barahona?

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Supposedly, Turismo is going to invest in the malecon in Barahona...

Secretario de Turismo en su ?ltima visita a Barahona, anuncia 120 millones para malec?n : Cuatriboliao.Net

My favorite part of the story is where it says: "...manifest? que este es el gran momento para el despegue definitivo del desarrollo tur?stico de esta regi?n." I'm sorry, HOW MANY TIMES has tourism been announced to take off in Barahona?

Wait, I hear something. A scratching on my roof. I think a winged monkey just landed on my tin roof! Or maybe it's just another rat. :laugh:

On another note, the sinidico of Barahona is supposed to be installing more lights on the malecon. Now THAT'S a basic, practical step toward development.

I didn't post this because I am trying to promote tourism, because as stated on previous posts I am very skeptical about any claims of development in the Southwest. Rather, I think it is very amusing because this was also published: Sociedad Ecologica denuncia contaminaci?n ambiental en el puerto de Barahona : Cuatriboliao.Net

For years Khoury has had all of this junk and ugliness smack dab in the middle of the malecon in Barahona. In many places, you can't even see the ocean because of all the block and gravel they store there. Meanwhile, countless people in the government are taking kickbacks so Khoury can act like they are the owners of the entire malecon of Barahona, much to the dismay of the Barahoneros. :bandit::bandit: Can you imagine if the shipping port in Puerto Plata were SMACK DAB IN THE MIDDLE of the touristic malecon? No way!

The only development I have seen on the malecon is Khoury expanding their storage of materials and building many ugly little block buildings, further cluttering up the malecon.

Feb 15, 2005
The issue is that once tourism gets going he'll (Khoury) will benefit from it and at the same time will force Dept. Tourism to deal with upgrading of the Malecon. But more lights would be phenomenal.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
The issue is that once tourism gets going he'll (Khoury) will benefit from it and at the same time will force Dept. Tourism to deal with upgrading of the Malecon. But more lights would be phenomenal.

Well, I was in Barahona this weekend and didn't see any signs of renovations starting any time soon, but I did see mountains of Khoury "environmentally safe" bricks decorating the "marina" and waiting to be shipped out.

Also, the area around Hielo Everest has a new face with the new "entertainment" businesses which are sprouting around like mushroom. I hear the new place called "Los Mellizos" which occupies a whole corner with banca, liquor store and God knows what other "business" operates there because the place is huge and looks like they invested a lot of money there, belongs to the late Rolando Florian, nice...

such a pity he didn't get to see the fruit of his hard earned money, it just opened up a few weeks ago.