Im looking for apartment to rent in Santo Domingo

Ross Nick

Aug 29, 2009
Buenos dias everybody! I have arrived to santo domingo 4 days ago and im looking for apartment to rent.
Price: 200-300$USD monthly.
Location: Distrito Nacional(La Esperilla, Gazcue, La Julia ,Piantini,La yuca, Julieta Morales, Serralles, Lope de Vega)
Rooms: 1 or 2 bedrooms, 1 kitchen, 1 bathroom, cistern.
Unfurnished. If you have any offers, please send me some information,gracias!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
and good luck with those some of those neighbors and that price... listin diario is your best bet but you are being a bit optimistic or hoping for a rapid rise of the dollar,me thinks.... more like $500 to $700 will get you there.

i confess i do not know them all.. but not gazcue, not lope de vega, not La esperella, not piantina... so if the others are similar.....

I have seen adds for some studios in gazcue, probably at the edge, by parque independencia, for 6000 pesos.... so you might get that if you walk around a bit.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Buenos dias everybody! I have arrived to santo domingo 4 days ago and im looking for apartment to rent.
Price: 200-300$USD monthly.
Location: Distrito Nacional(La Esperilla, Gazcue, La Julia ,Piantini,La yuca, Julieta Morales, Serralles, Lope de Vega)
Rooms: 1 or 2 bedrooms, 1 kitchen, 1 bathroom, cistern.
Unfurnished. If you have any offers, please send me some information,gracias!

I suggest you add at least another US$200 to your budget if you want an apartment in those neighborhoods.

Ross Nick

Aug 29, 2009
Thanks for your info, but is it really possible to find some place to live without furniture in these areas starting from 400-500?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Thanks for your info, but is it really possible to find some place to live without furniture in these areas starting from 400-500?

How's your Spanish?

If you're fluent, know how things work here, then maybe you'll find a place in those areas for US$400, maybe.....

Ross Nick

Aug 29, 2009
I dont speak spanish yet, but i have spanish speaking people who are trying to find some apartment for me. I have another question: Do you know what areas to live are safe in santo domingo where i can just walk and not turning around ;-)

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I dont speak spanish yet, but i have spanish speaking people who are trying to find some apartment for me. I have another question: Do you know what areas to live are safe in santo domingo where i can just walk and not turning around ;-)

Most of the mentioned areas are decent as for safety although I preface that by saying-as long as you stay smart and dont act/look like a victim. Night time can be a risky walk anywhere these days.
Just curious how you made out with your apartment search?

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I normally suggest Gazcue for foreigners who come for the first time and dont know much Spanish. There is a lot of apartment hotels there and it is near the Malecon where you have all the big international hotels. And in Gazcue you should be able to find something for around 400-500. The best idea is to stay in a hotel to begin with. They charge around 400-600 USD for a month at several small hotels.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
There are a few places in Gazcue (for example Ave. Uruguay) where it is possible to find a place for $4000 to $6000 a month, but small and crowded buildings, and not an entirely safe area at night. Also, if an apartment opens up, they get filled quickly, it's a matter of luck finding one and getting it rented before someone else grabs it. You can ask the building manager if one will be opening up soon. Basic place to live, but not necessarily a paradise. Other rentals in Gazcue typically start at about US$500 a month and go up to $1000, and this would be the norm rather than the exception.

Pig, why don't you try looking in Villa Consuelo, Los Minas bajo or Los Alcarrizos - the rental prices are much lower, and the "natives" are friendly. They welcome seasoned long-term visitors with open arms, and arms. They speak typical dominican barrio Spanish - 50 word vocabulary and interjecting "co?o" every 4th word.

Last edited:

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I normally suggest Gazcue for foreigners who come for the first time and dont know much Spanish.QUOTE]

And out of interest what do you suggest to those who are seasoned long term visitors and speak reasonably good Spanish (looking for a place with Dominican Partner)?

I dont suggest a small hotel room that is for sure.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Carlos

Pig, why don't you try looking in Villa Consuelo, Los Minas bajo or Los Alcarrizos - the rental prices are much lower, and the "natives" are friendly. They welcome seasoned long-term visitors with open arms, and arms. They speak typical dominican barrio Spanish - 50 word vocabulary and interjecting "co?o" every 4th word.

You missed the other word. xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx co?o vina. or xxxxxx xxxxxx vina co?o.