Money Changers near Colonial Hotel?

I will be staying at the Colonial Hotel in Santiago next month (21st to 30th) and I'd like to know where I can find a reliable place near the hotel to change my money.

I usually stay in Sosua and drive to Santiago and therefore change my money in Sosua, but this next trip I'll be spending the entire time in Santiago, and I'm not yet familiar with the city like I am with Sosua and PP.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not a good idea to change money on the street.

I would go over to Pola where there are bank branches and change there. And, you could walk towards town where there are banks and exchange houses...Never on the street...

HB

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Where is the nearest money exchange agency to the Colonial Hotel?

POLA Supermercado has an Exchange agency inside the store.

Also there is "Marco's Cambio" on Ave. General Lopez near the corner of Ave. Las Carreras

DO NOT EXCHANGE MONEY ON THE STREET

Don

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Out the front door, turn right. Cross the street by where all of the buses are, go down the hill (one short block and one longer block) turn left back up the divided 4 lane avenue, to Marco's Cambio. Maybe a 8-10 minute walk.

HB

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Age Related Correction

Also there is "Marco's Cambio" on Ave. General Lopez near the corner of Ave. Las Carreras

My age is showing,
Ave. General Lopez is now Ave. Antonio Guzman.

(Guess the General got demoted)

Take your pick! ;) lol

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

That's okay, they just put street signs up in the barrio where I live and they decided to rename the main drag.

The new name of the main drag is: Don Jose Bojos

Okay Hillbilly, who the heck is "he"?

Don SantiagoDR

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Jos? Bojos was a figure in Santiago's industrial history. His tannery on the banks of the Yaque (one of the major contaminators, of course, but further up river from Bermudez) was wiped out during the "accidental" opening of the flood gates in 2007 after Noel and Olga....the one that wiped out La Otra Banda and Rafey, killing dozens...yeah, that one.

he is long gone, buthe was a major employer and well know for his civic work. I believe he was a Rotarian and a member of the Santiago Development Council..

His son, took over the business until it was wiped out...

HB

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Thanks HB.

I keep forgetting that "Don" in Spanish is Mister, especially since I'm "Don".

So in payment for wiping out the son's business,
..... they named a street for his dad in Reparto Peralta. ;)

Don Don

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
30 de Marzo, last time i was at the Colonial went to a place there. Out front door, turn right, left on 30 de Marzo, across the street 50 yards. Will need to be buzz in the door.

Cibaeno

Feb 7, 2009
I can absolutely recommend "Marco's Cambio". Always used it when I travelled here. Better rates than in any bank and if you change a bigger amount you can negotiate the rate!

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
30 de Marzo, last time i was at the Colonial went to a place there. Out front door, turn right, left on 30 de Marzo, across the street 50 yards. Will need to be buzz in the door.

Is that the place that has a Neon sign and is opened 24/7? If so, they have descent rates there. Better at Marcos Cambio.

However, I have a well kept secret I will like to share on exchanging money. I am sure there are probably other places like this one but I know of a place where no matter what value the dollar exchange rate is this place always changes $0.10 cents or sometimes even $0.15 above what everyone is changing. It's called Victor's Cambio in El Ingco, Santiago.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
... However, I have a well kept secret I will like to share on exchanging money. I am sure there are probably other places like this one but I know of a place where no matter what value the dollar exchange rate is this place always changes $0.10 cents or sometimes even $0.15 above what everyone is changing. It's called Victor's Cambio in El Ingco, Santiago.

Is Victor Chinese?
Perhaps he's a "Money Launderer" and not a "Money Changer" :chinese: lol

Just joking! .... adding a little humor!