What kind of Wireless N Router do I need?

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
I want to setup a WIFI connection in my home. Not a technical person so I need your help to learn what kind of wireless N router I need to purchase. I live in POP and use Codetel DSL connection. I'm currently in the states and want to pick up the router here. Any idea of what I should get? thanks for your help. Phil

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I want to setup a WIFI connection in my home. Not a technical person so I need your help to learn what kind of wireless N router I need to purchase. I live in POP and use Codetel DSL connection. I'm currently in the states and want to pick up the router here. Any idea of what I should get? thanks for your help. Phil

Just make sure that your laptop or PC etc also has a "820.11.n" wireless card.
Although most routers are backwards compatible to "802.11b/g"

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
I'm just learning about wireless equipment and the guy at Best Buy said I should get a "N" type to make sure the distance is covered. Any thoughts on this? thanks again.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I'm just learning about wireless equipment and the guy at Best Buy said I should get a "N" type to make sure the distance is covered. Any thoughts on this? thanks again.
How about giving everyone an idea of what you want to do? Is your home concrete walls? Will you have a main desktop with the router and your other computers will be desktops or laptops? What distance will your remote pcs be from the pc connected to the router?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I have been using this router, Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router, for the past two years. The only problem I have had is sometimes it loses a connection with the internet. I unplug the power cord, plug it back in and I am up and running. I also purchased the PCI adapter cards.

The installation was so easy a few months later my daughter purchased the equipment and installed everything herself. If you don't feel comfortable opening the computer case on your remote desktop(s) you can get a USB adapter.

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRT54G-Wireless-G-Router/dp/B00007KDVI/ref=tag_dpp_lp_edpp_ttl_in

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WMP54G-Wireless-G-PCI-Adapter/dp/B000085BD8/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_b

Last edited:

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Sorry, wasn't sure what info was needed. Yes, our home is concrete. The desktop will be connected via DSL modem. The laptop will be used throughout the house and outside. Largest distance from the router would be about 60 to 70 feet.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Sorry, wasn't sure what info was needed. Yes, our home is concrete. The desktop will be connected via DSL modem. The laptop will be used throughout the house and outside. Largest distance from the router would be about 60 to 70 feet.

Your laptop should already have a wifi card installed so you will only need the router. The hotel I stay at in SD uses the same router I have, type G. The building is concrete and with the office door closed and the door closed to my room I have no problem getting a signal. Actually I can pick up a signal on the rooftop terrace (5th floor).

Maybe someone more in the know will chime in but I feel you will be fine with the LinkSys 54G. At home my router is in the basement and in my 2nd floor bedroom I have never had a problem getting a signal.

When setting up the laptop it is a lot easier if you have a usb flash drive to transfer the security data, if not you can enter the info with the keyboard.

Trust me, it is really easy to get a wirless system up and running.