Sending Medicine Via Mail?

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Here is a random question: Can you send medicine via mail to someone? It is just out of general curiosity. Could you send someone pills, prescription medicines or even over the counter medicines, via private couriers like FedEx, UPS, DHL or other couriers.

Is it illegal or just frowned upon. I know for some people this could be interesting since they might have particular medicines they use they can no get down in the DR.

Much appreciated,

Mr. Lu

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Lu,

I would imagine there would be some trouble using FedEx. When packages arrive in the DR (in Santiago at least) they inspect them. My cousin just shipped a small box via fedex to his gf in Santiago and when she went to pick it up at the fedex location in the Santiago airport they told her she needed to pay taxes. I know it's not medicine but, it was a pair of shoes. I'm guessing they'll probably pull the same stunt with the medicine. Don't know if it works like that in La Capital.

However, for medicine my family uses a private courier at a travel agency in Washington Heights. Gets there in 3 days with no hasle.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

Lu,

I would imagine there would be some trouble using FedEx. When packages arrive in the DR (in Santiago at least) they inspect them. My cousin just shipped a small box via fedex to his gf in Santiago and when she went to pick it up at the fedex location in the Santiago airport they told her she needed to pay taxes. I know it's not medicine but, it was a pair of shoes. I'm guessing they'll probably pull the same stunt with the medicine. Don't know if it works like that in La Capital.

However, for medicine my family uses a private courier at a travel agency in Washington Heights. Gets there in 3 days with no hasle.

Thanks for the response. I know in SD, if it is a box you have to go pick it up at the post office and pay taxes there. During this process, they open the box and check and make sure there is nothing funky. But this is a box.

With an envelope, they deliver it to your house or given address. At least this is the way in SD, I don't know about Santiago. So I would figure they don't inspect what is inside the envelope and therefore you can ship medicines via these private carriers.

I just wonder how some people get medicines from the US, you can't buy in the DR and I wondered that they ship them.

Mr. Lu

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

I order items for which a prescription is needed in the US, but not in the DR, and have them sent to me via EPS because I can get them for one third the cost of buying them here. Never had a problem.

I imagine it would work as well for TransExpress/Vimenpaq.

When picking them up (your medicines) have you ever had to present a prescription note from a doctor, or do you just pick up your package and go?

Mr. Lu

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Meds

Thanks for the response. I know in SD, if it is a box you have to go pick it up at the post office and pay taxes there. During this process, they open the box and check and make sure there is nothing funky. But this is a box.

With an envelope, they deliver it to your house or given address. At least this is the way in SD, I don't know about Santiago. So I would figure they don't inspect what is inside the envelope and therefore you can ship medicines via these private carriers.

I just wonder how some people get medicines from the US, you can't buy in the DR and I wondered that they ship them.

Mr. Lu

Use EPS Miami mail box they are couriered to Santo Domingo, yes customs does open but have never had a problem. Would not even think about using Dominican postal service! Costs me about 200rd for the service due to size and weight.

I have prescription service with my old company insurance, which provides mail order prescriptions, so they are mailed to an address in the US then forwarded to Miami.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I have my eye medication shipped to me when needed.

No problems, I just make sure the person sending them to me send ones that include my name on the prescription and of course they are sent here in my name.

The medications are sealed and they arrive to me sealed, customs opens the box, not the medication.

I use Business Mail for this.

Don SantiagoDR

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Here is a random question: Can you send medicine via mail to someone? It is just out of general curiosity. Could you send someone pills, prescription medicines or even over the counter medicines, via private couriers like FedEx, UPS, DHL or other couriers.

Is it illegal or just frowned upon. I know for some people this could be interesting since they might have particular medicines they use they can no get down in the DR.

Much appreciated,

Mr. Lu

Never done it here but to share an experience I had when i ordered some special non prescription vitamins from USA(via fedex) to Buenos Aires, where i previously lived-they held the package at airport customs and after 4 hours and ten seperate discussions later- it cost me double the value in pay-offs as well they insisted on a doctors prescription note- of which i had to pay that guy off to surpass. Anything pill related seems very difficult.

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
my sister has an "embarque" in nj. they ship all kinds of boxes, and containers in for people and they never have any problems. takes about a week and a half and you dont have to pay any taxes. its def do-able.