Recommendations for hotel/room for a family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spec Ed Teacher

Apr 21, 2009
We recently moved to Santiago. We have family coming from Canada that will be staying on the North coast in an AI for Christmas. We would like to spend a few days near them so we can visit but not have to drive back & forth to Santiago! We don't need much - just a place to sleep and maybe a fridge or something in the room so we can buy some food and only eat out once/day. BUT we need a place that doesn't care if we have 6 of us in a room! We will have 4 children with us - age 10 -18. Not small but they have no problem sleeping on a floor if necessary- they are used to camping alot in Canada!

I have noted a few hotel recommendations from here but thought I would see if anyone knew of any which specifically do not mind how many we have in the room. We do want 'safe' but do not need fancy. The kids would prefer a pool but we will also go to the beach so recommendations with or without are welcome! We are trying to live as frugally as possible and still "get away" to the beach!

Puerta Plata, Sosua or Cabarete would be fine - we will have our own vehicle.

Also will I be able to converse with most of the places in English if we call to book something? Although we are hoping to start private Spanish lessons very soon our skills at this time are VERY limited!

Thanks for any help!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
We recently moved to Santiago. We have family coming from Canada that will be staying on the North coast in an AI for Christmas. We would like to spend a few days near them so we can visit but not have to drive back & forth to Santiago! We don't need much - just a place to sleep and maybe a fridge or something in the room so we can buy some food and only eat out once/day. BUT we need a place that doesn't care if we have 6 of us in a room! We will have 4 children with us - age 10 -18. Not small but they have no problem sleeping on a floor if necessary- they are used to camping alot in Canada!

I have noted a few hotel recommendations from here but thought I would see if anyone knew of any which specifically do not mind how many we have in the room. We do want 'safe' but do not need fancy. The kids would prefer a pool but we will also go to the beach so recommendations with or without are welcome! We are trying to live as frugally as possible and still "get away" to the beach!

Puerta Plata, Sosua or Cabarete would be fine - we will have our own vehicle.

Also will I be able to converse with most of the places in English if we call to book something? Although we are hoping to start private Spanish lessons very soon our skills at this time are VERY limited!

Thanks for any help!

Unless you can find a house for rent (Jarabaco maybe?) with a pool, maybe Camp David Ranch would be a safe and a little off the Dominican buzz place to consider?
When ever we have folks here (but then, we are in Puerto Plata, next to the Malecon), we take them out for a 3 night excursion into an AI in Las Terrenas, so they had their Caribbean moment and us a little vacation too.
This has always been a welcomed concept. You being in Santiago, it would seem an even more appealing idea, maybe?

... J-D.

samsbar

Jun 30, 2005
room for family

Try the Hotel
castilla and the Bonsai. Both have english speaking owners. Joanne

laurar

Jun 19, 2008
If your looking for a AI resort type - Holiday Village has great family roooms with a a lot of bed space and they do have bar fridges.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
We would like to spend a few days near them so we can visit but not have to drive back & forth to Santiago!

If you are planning to visit with them at the resort, have you looked into the cost of passes for all 6 of you over the Christmas period?

These may be costly over the course of a few days so you may want to try and get a rate at the same AI they will be staying at, provided they can accomodate all of you in one room (although at an AI, charge is PP and not PR).

Good luck!

Spec Ed Teacher

Apr 21, 2009
Thanks everyone! That wasn't completely clear was it? ;) Sorry.

We are mostly just looking for inexpensive places that we can stay on the North Coast - when my family is here but also here & there when we want a weekend away. We do not need an AI but just someplace that would allow up to 6 in a room and have some (minimal is fine) type of kitchenette so we do not need to eat out all the time. Ideally a pool is even better!

Just looking for ideas & places to "get away" when we need it! Trying to keep the teens occupied as they adjust to everything new! But - within a somewhat small budget!

So far we have spent a day at Jarabacoa and a day in Cabarete at the beach. Also a day at Kaskada Water park since it is close to our home.

We will certainly be checking out a few that have been mentioned. Do any have on line reservations or will we need to call? Off to do some googling ...

Spec Ed Teacher

Apr 21, 2009
You'll need quite a big room to fit six. In Cabarete, you can check Sans Souci; they have large rooms, most with kitchenette, but no pool. They allow a lot of people in a room as they charge per person. Welcome to Sans Souci Resorts.

Thanks! I've bookmarked this one as well (hotel Castilla looked like it would work too!). The cheapest rooms at Sans Souci are $12pp/night which may be doable. Especially as the pics look like it may be a bit more spacious and they do have a kitchen as well.
Honestly - if the room fit 2 double beds it would be big enough! We don't intend to spend much time in a room and the younger boys are fine with sleeping on a floor somewhere! They just want to spend time close to the beach! So - we are hoping that somewhere with a charge that is per room/night will be much cheaper than per person - as long as they don't have any "rules" about having a few kids sleeping on the floor! Not allowed in Canada (max is 5/room) but I am assuming the "fire code" isn't so stringent here! Alternatively if the room/night charge is really low then we could think of getting 2 rooms at times (obviously not in higher tourist times).

thelady

Dec 16, 2007
why don't you just rent a house in one of the secured housing areas like casa linda or perla marina, these are nice places, totaly safe with 24 hour security and have their own pools at least casa linda residential does. they are much more economical than a hotel for a family. we are from Canada and this is what we do when ever we come to the Dr, rent by night, week or month...have fun.

milano

Sep 15, 2009
I know you are not looking for a luxury place but I strongly recommend you the new complex on the beach, it is 10 minutes by walk from town, nice swimming pool on the beach and on christmas time there is a lot of family going down there and a lot of activities are organised for everyone. I keep going back there everytime I go to Cabarete. The prices are not that expensive and they are all well furnished. If you need more info about this place it is called "Victorian Cabarete". Here 's a link where you can see some pictures and can ask them prices. They are really nice people one of them is actually from Canada as well. Victorian Cabarete - Dominican Republic | Facebook
hope you 'll have a nice trip and maybe see you this christmas as I will go back there for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.