from Cabarete to Lago Enriquillo and Barahona?

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
Is it possible to drive from Cabarete all the way to Barahona along the Haitian border? or do u need 4-wheel drive etc.
If it is possible how long would the drive be? ANd any interesting stops along the way?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Possible? O course.
LOOOOnnnggg day. About 8 hours more or less, depending on traffic and you knowledge of Dominican highways.
Pretty straight foreward...Sabarete Sto Dgo. Follow signs to 6 de Noviembre San Cristobal...go straight to Bani, Azua and follow your nose to Barahona. The follow signs to Lago Enriquillo.

Certainly a long weekend of driving and sightseeing.

HB

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
Thanks, I dont mean to do it in 1 day, but make a nice trip of it (about 5 days...go and back)

But what im really intersted in if its possible to make the trip by going in the direction Montecristi/Dajabon and then more south.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yes, but I am not so sure about getting from the intersection near Las Matas de Farfan further south along the frontier. I am pretty sure that there are tracks along there. how good or how passable i do not know. You know who does?? Robert at DR1! He drove that part a couple of years ago...

Otherwise, you have to go down through San Juan de la Maguana (good hwy) to the Azua-Barahona Hwy...

Five (5) days would do it...talk to Robert.

Of course you need to check in with the military before you enter the International Highway and get a pass. Remember that.

HB