Paraiso Initiative

Feb 15, 2005
As part of a collaboration between the Peace Corps and Paraiso business/community leaders, the Alianza Estrategica para Desarollo Ecoturistica de Paraiso has taken off and is thriving. The goal of this group is to develop and capacitate the communities of San Rafael, Paraiso, Ojeda, Los Patos, and the surrounding campos to further the possibility of ecotourism.

The next course will be given at the SeaView Restaurant in Paraiso which will provide classes on restaurant operations, and kitchen services. The majority of the participants are teenagers.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
An example of how the southwest is trying to 'tirar pa' lante'

Sounds great. I think one problem with these initiatives is that they don't get enough publicity. I know they are set up with a sustainable business model in mind, but since they are community based and often funded mainly by NGOs or development agencies rather than big private investors, they don't get much press. The funds they do get to do the project don't stretch far enough to do an adequate advertising campaign. If there is any information about these types of things at all, which is doubtful and hard to stumble across, it must get buried underneath all the info about the other coasts and the all-inclusives.

SOOO...does the Alianza have a website, and how can people get more information about what they are doing? How can someone plan an ecotourism trip to Paraiso? :bunny:

I know you're not supposed to advertise on DR1 (unless you pay), but I hope the site can allow this kind of occasional plug for a grassroots, community ecotourism initiative. :cool:

Feb 15, 2005
Actually Minerva, one of the goals is to have the same teenagers create the website under guidance. I'll get numbers and more information and post it here if the moderators allow it. But as you mentioned, this is non-profit and a great way for recognition of great work being done at the community levels.

Feb 15, 2005
As part of the Paraiso Initiative, today I was informed that there has been 140 students for the restaurant chef courses and 60 students for the bartender classes being held at the SeaView Restaurant in Paraiso.

The eco-tourism classes have been well responded to also.