Bagels! Eggs Benedict! in Puerto Plata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
The answer? Yes!! in Costambar.
* The name of the new, small restaurant is a tongue buster: "The Anchor Tea & Coffee Garden". A/K/A simply The Anchor. 2 British couples opened it ? months ago.
* Where? 1 Calle Cadiz, Costambar; 1 block from the beach road, next to the Gym Bar, fairly famous / notorious in Costambar.
* Home made bagels! VG quality. @ 4 - 6 variates. Eggs Benedict & a standard upscale American breakfast / lunch menu. I chewed, closed my eyes, & . . suddenly I was in Manhattan!
* Reasonable prices; friendly service; & the tips go to a local orphanage under construction - "Blanco's Ninos"
* Very well worth a visit; but . . the roads in / out of Costambar have not improved. Punishing! Ask for Ken Fisher.
* Enjoy.

Reactions: mike l

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
2 British couples making NY bagels ? I promise to visit the place but brits making bagels that come anywhere near the real NY bagels is like saying that you can have the real east-end fish&chips in Nagua made by Canadians.

Saskia

Jun 9, 2005
I believe bagels originate from the jews .... we have some of the best bagel bakeries in London i can assure you ;o)

cassieann

May 9, 2009
Hi i can tell you its only one of the 4 making the bagels, my thoughts were the same it will never work!!!! try them they are fantastic.
I do know before they opened the bagels were tried on the people of Costambar to make sure they were good, and they are.
This place is what was needed here, try the quice its soooooooo good.
I love the fact that everything they make is home made you can tell, but guys you do need fries on your menu lol, dont worry though i will still come even if you dont have them on

DRExplorer

Jan 1, 2007
Can you tell me if these bagels were oven baked or they were boiled and then added to the oven?

rayleeds

May 16, 2005
Leeds, United Kingdom
2 British couples making NY bagels ? I promise to visit the place but brits making bagels that come anywhere near the real NY bagels is like saying that you can have the real east-end fish&chips in Nagua made by Canadians.

Don't you just love Americans? :cheeky:

The bagel's history

The bagel originated in Central Europe, probably in Poland. A 1610 document from Krakow mentions "beygls" given as a gift to women in childbirth. This is often cited as the earliest known reference to the bagel, but the document is not clear what a "beygl" is; it may be what is now known as a bagel, it may be something related to the word for stirrup "beugal", or something else the meaning of which is lost to history.

You didn't invent everything you know!

Tina786

Sep 13, 2009
The Anchor

Hi, not been there and have no intention of going there.
Too many conflicts with other bars.

web

Nov 5, 2005
Had the Breakfast Bagel and their 3 egg Omelette with any number of ingredients you want like bacon, ham, peppers, onions etc. Whatever you get you have to have the HP sauce on the side. I thought A1 was good but the HP sauce is a little smoother. Coffee is great as well. Now when are they going to have "proper fish and chips"?

cassieann

May 9, 2009
Tina thats not right at all, only one other bar has a problem with them and wont go there, i have been in this bar and listened to them they have got nothing nice to say about anybody or anything, ALL other bar owners go there and have helped them along the way, dont know what there problem is but i can tell you it is there problem and not the Anchors, i know from the Anchor blog that you have not been in either bar but i can tell you now that your judgement is wrong try it and see

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Had Tina's post come from a long term established poster on DR1 whom everyone knows, it would have been given more attention than coming from a first time poster. But.....coming from a first time poster, one cannot but wonder if that is indeed the one (& only) other bar which has a problem with them. I've never been to the Anchor nor tried the eggs benedict, which is why I hadn't posted in this thread up to now, but I DO know Ken & Sue & they're a nice, amenable couple. I also get to hear much of the Costambar gossip, eventually, and although I'm not going to repeat it, I would agree with cassieann that only one other place is not on good terms with the Anchor & I suspect that that is the responsibility of the other place.

The world of Costambar expat gossip is not really worth devoting bandwith to nevertheless unwarranted accusations have to be challenged. Wouldn't it be better to stick with discussing the food at the Anchor? Most who have posted seem happy with it.

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
Don't you just love Americans? :cheeky:

The bagel's history

The bagel originated in Central Europe, probably in Poland. A 1610 document from Krakow mentions "beygls" given as a gift to women in childbirth. This is often cited as the earliest known reference to the bagel, but the document is not clear what a "beygl" is; it may be what is now known as a bagel, it may be something related to the word for stirrup "beugal", or something else the meaning of which is lost to history.

You didn't invent everything you know!

that might be, but no bagel in the world compares to the Brooklyn bagel ! ;) I don't care where was the fish & chips invented but the best is in the East End. Just like the best steak is in Argentina, best taco in Mexico, best sausage in Germany, best pizza in Sicilly, best goulash in Hungary...all IMHO

and by the way, just because I live in the States it doesn't make me an American

buttons66

Oct 3, 2006
Bullcr@p

I am saying nothing, for fear of being taken to court and yet again being accused of something we never did.

bagelman52

Sep 14, 2009
To the administrator. I am one of the co-owners of The Anchor and maker of the bagel and I hope I be allowed to make this post without it being construed as advertising. If not my apologies.
The bagels are boiled and made as authentically as possible given the circumstances. I have never claimed they are exactly like New York bagels but the customers like them. We are primarily a tea and coffee shop not a bar! I believe I cannot talk about prices or other menu items as this will been deemed advertising.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
...but brits making bagels that come anywhere near the real NY bagels is like saying that you can have the real east-end fish&chips in Nagua made by Canadians.

Go to H&H Bagels on Broadway and 80th. St. right across from Zabar's.

They make the best bagels in NYC. You'll notice that the workers are all from Central/South America.

They even have a Dominican back there baking away.

So it doesn't matter who's making them, as long as they make 'em right.

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
You'll notice that the workers are all from Central/South America.

They even have a Dominican back there baking away.

The question is, who owns the place ? Who's supervising them to make sure that the recipe is being strictly observed ? Are they getting their bagels semi-prepared from Brooklyn like most NY places do ?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
el toro de Bagels!

The question is, who owns the place ? Who's supervising them to make sure that the recipe is being strictly observed ? Are they getting their bagels semi-prepared from Brooklyn like most NY places do ?

"The Puerto Rican-born, Bronx-raised Toro, 58, founded H&H with his brother-in-law, Hector Hernandez, in 1972 at its original location on Broadway and 80th Street. It became the largest bagel manufacturer in the world with the addition of a 25,000-square-foot bakery at 46th Street and 12th Avenue, producing a half-million bagels a day."

nypost.com
August 25, 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.