Best Restaurant in Jarabacoa

bertosmind

Sep 14, 2009
Recently I enjoyed a very nice dinner at Aroma de la Monta?a. The restaurant is located a few kilometers outside of downtown up in the Jamaca de Dios residential project. Let me say first that the view from up there is absolutely breathtaking. You can see the entire valley that Jarabacoa sits in, and I was told by one of the waiters that on especially clear days you can see both Santiago and San Francisco de Macoris over the mountains. They even installed a periscope looking contraption on the deck outside, and you can literally see the faces of the motoconchos downtown. The restaurant itself is an interesting structure... it is open air, and it basically looks like a massive hut. The interior is lightly decorated with some taino masks. In the center there is a table that has a fire pit in the middle... there's enough room to eat, and in the middle there is a pit of blue glass pieces (instead of stone) and the flames come from there. It is truly unique. There is also a deck on the outside that overlooks the incredible view of the valley below. The view is truly something you have to see for yourself- definitely worth the drive from Santo Domingo. As we were enjoying sunset from the deck, we were greeted by Michael, the owner of both the restaurant and the Jamaca de Dios project. He was very friendly and gave us some great info about the project. We sat down and were surprised by the great variety on the menu. They offer everything from lamb chops to churrasco to prime rib, and pretty much everything in between. They also offer a wide variety of wines to go with the different meats (I don't drink wine, but my friend told me he was impressed by it). I ordered the churrasco, and it was amazing... without a doubt the best meal I have had in this country. The meat was tender, juicy, and cooked perfectly. The side of potatoes was also great. After we were done eating the head chef Steve came out and greeted us. We talked for a bit (he is a very interesting guy) and he told that they are overhauling the restaurant's website and they'll have a full menu up soon along with photos. Right now they only have a small bit on the Jamaca de Dios website (jamacadedios.com), but on there you can make reservations (something you don't see everyday in a Dominican restaurant). He then surprised us with their full dessert menu! I was expecting a couple typical Dominican desserts (flan), but Steve told us he spent many years in the United States as a pastry chef. I ordered the chocolate strawberry dream cake, which was amazing. I can't even begin to describe how nice it was to have a proper dessert. Before we left we enjoyed the views out on the balcony again, this time the sun had gone down and we got a whole new view of the valley at night. Truly amazing. I highly recommend this restaurant. It is by far the best in Jarabacoa, and it could be the best in the country. Wherever you are in the DR, it is worth the drive up to Jarabacoa to experience it.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Shameless plug or not, I've eaten at Jamaca de Dios often, and it's a fine restaurant. Chef Steve has done an outstanding job there, and Mike is a First Class guy. I take folks there all the time. The view is purely awesome.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Same here, amazing food and view. Prices are quite reasonable for the food, quite expensive for the drinks, but hey, this is where most restaurants make their money...

Mike and Steve are indeed great guys, and the waiters and service are immaculate, and friendly...

Certainly worth a visit

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You guys sold me on the place....

Me? I like the restaurant at the golf club!!

HB

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
I will be this friday night with some friends in jarabacoa and I will like to have the best dinner experience.
I had often eat at La Le?a in front of the park. and the food is always good. prices are very reasonable and I like the area. (you can see whats going on outside)
Is there any better place to eat? Is this place in Jamaca de Dios any better? is there any amazing view at night?
Also, beside Entre Amigos, is there any other upscale place to hang out at night?
thanks

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I will be this friday night with some friends in jarabacoa and I will like to have the best dinner experience.
I had often eat at La Le?a in front of the park. and the food is always good. prices are very reasonable and I like the area. (you can see whats going on outside)
Is there any better place to eat? Is this place in Jamaca de Dios any better? is there any amazing view at night?
Also, beside Entre Amigos, is there any other upscale place to hang out at night?
thanks
Aroma de la Montana IS the Jamacka de Dios restaurant.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Thanks cobraboy,
I know that Aroma de .... is in Jamaca de Dios. But I never tried
My question is. it?s a better restauran than La Le?a? and it is worth to go at night or is better during daytime?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
the road is more than fine... wide enough for 2 cars at all places, and at the only hairpin there is plenty of warning and the road at that point is now laid out that you are forced to take the safe way.

about the view... great during the day, and great at night... just different

I will drive anyone up there day and night in return for a free meal... lol

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Whats the drive down like at night- otherwise hows the road.
Not a problem. Probably one of the best engineered hardpacked gray gravel roads I've ever driven. Wide, flat, great drainage, well-maintained and reflectors everywhere for night. There are a couple of steep areas, but easily doable.

Jamacka de Dios is a class mountain development run by a super guy.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Not a problem. Probably one of the best engineered hardpacked gray gravel roads I've ever driven. Wide, flat, great drainage, well-maintained and reflectors everywhere for night. There are a couple of steep areas, but easily doable.

Jamacka de Dios is a class mountain development run by a super guy.

I had meant to go there on my last trip, just as I meant to visit you but my wife kept changing my priorities. Next year should be permanent so I can start being more social as well as having a car to get around in.

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
How to get there..

Can someone post how to get to this place? I know Jarabacoa, but don't know how to get to the Restaurant. My next visit to Jarabacoa will be in July 2011... Gracias:laugh:

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
Can someone post how to get to this place? I know Jarabacoa, but don't know how to get to the Restaurant. My next visit to Jarabacoa will be in July 2011... Gracias:laugh:

Sounds like a good place to head after the horsey show. Show us the way!

bertosmind

Sep 14, 2009
getting there

From the esso gas station coming into Jarabacoa:
At the Jesus where the road forks (in front of banco popular) take the left. keep following this road until the shell gas station. at the shell, follow the road that goes straight (you'll go around the shell to the right). after a bit, you'll go over 2 speed bumps and then you'll come to an intersection. here you'll take the right fork, but not the full right turn (keep the japanese garden on the left hand side of the road). follow this road out of town. after a couple kilometers, the road will take a sharp right. soon after this, there's an intersection. turn left here. you'll see a sign for jamaca de dios pointing the way. after about a half a kilometer, you'll come to another intersection. go straight, leaving the asphalt. again, you'll see a sign for jamaca de dios. this road will go up, curve right, and then you'll be at the entrance to jamaca de dios! pull into the entrance, sign in, and the guard will let you up.

Reactions: socuban

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
pull into the entrance, sign in, and the guard will let you up.
Keep in mind they will charge a couple hundred pesos for just going in, credited against restaurant purchases, like a door charge. I guess they tired of folks driing up for sightseeing.

From the esso gas station coming into Jarabacoa:
At the Jesus where the road forks (in front of banco popular) take the left. keep following this road until the shell gas station. at the shell, follow the road that goes straight (you'll go around the shell to the right). after a bit, you'll go over 2 speed bumps and then you'll come to an intersection. here you'll take the right fork, but not the full right turn (keep the japanese garden on the left hand side of the road). follow this road out of town. after a couple kilometers, the road will take a sharp right. soon after this, there's an intersection. turn left here. you'll see a sign for jamaca de dios pointing the way. after about a half a kilometer, you'll come to another intersection. go straight, leaving the asphalt. again, you'll see a sign for jamaca de dios. this road will go up, curve right, and then you'll be at the entrance to jamaca de dios! pull into the entrance, sign in, and the guard will let you up.

are these directions from Santiago or Puerto Plata ? If not from Puerto Plata, how do you get there and how long does it take ? It looks beautiful !