Home Visit and Stays in Paraiso

Feb 15, 2005
I just learn that part of the new ALIANZA
ESTRATEGICA PARA EL DESARROLLO DEL ECO TURISMO DE PARA?SO is to provide tourists stay in selected homes of the area.

This will allow travelers to enjoy the night in one of the selected homes of the area much like the approved casa particulares of Cuba.

They will be given meals and a flavor of country life. Anyone interested please PM me.

Thank you

Last edited:
Reactions: woofsback

ronks

Aug 13, 2003
I would be interested in the price range and accommodations. I liked Paraiso but there was only one hotel there and it was pretty shoddy. I have actually "lived" in Cuba on and off for 11 years. I always stayed in the casa particulars and considered it the best way to go. It is like having a family of your own. But in Cuba everything is over controlled and the casa was required to register only 1 chica per guest. If the chica registers in more than one casa she risks going to prison for 4 years. Cuba is really f***ed up and that is why I will not return.

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
I just learn that part of the new ALIANZA
ESTRATEGICA PARA EL DESARROLLO DEL ECO TURISMO DE PARA?SO is to provide tourists stay in selected homes of the area.

This will allow travelers to enjoy the night in one of the selected homes of the area much like the approved casa particulares of Cuba.

They will be given meals and a flavor of country life. Anyone interested please PM me.

Thank you

I need to explore the SW and would prefer to stay in local homes. Let me know what you got;

socuban@hotmail.com

Feb 15, 2005
I will receive this week photos of the selected homes. The Peace Corp representative in the Alliance emailed my yesterday and indicated that they are providing additional furnishings to these selected homes, i.e. new beds, fans, fixing up the bathrooms, training the hosts on being prepared for the tourists, purchasing other essentials.
The idea is to convert one of the bedrooms into a comfortable dwelling area for tourists.
After that it is just the abundant warmth of the family, great home cooking, having coffee with the hosts in the backyard or porch, speaking with and getting to know the neighbors, watching the kids go off to school. Some additional services include day trips to Pedernales, Hoyo De Pelempito, or a swim in Los Patos etc.

It would be amazing for the local family and an awesome integration, if only temporary, into the Dominican family.

As I receive more information and if permitted by DR1, I would love to post pictures of the homes and the families here, along with contact numbers.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
looking forward to this project!

This is going to be a great project that can be replicated in lots of parts of the campo where there are few hotels, if any,

Tell me though what are the thoughts on having these as chica friendly places as the other poster was suggesting? Seems like an odd thing for a family residence to allow.

Feb 15, 2005
This is going to be a great project that can be replicated in lots of parts of the campo where there are few hotels, if any,

Tell me though what are the thoughts on having these as chica friendly places as the other poster was suggesting? Seems like an odd thing for a family residence to allow.

It is a great concept. I would think that this program would cater to tourist families or couples that are looking for a Dominican family experience. That a person would take his "girl" to a family house would be inappropriate and uncomfortable for everyone.

$30 dollar hotels are everywhere, this program should not be seen as an alternative to a cheap hotel. Bringing a prostitute into a family's home is in bad taste and disrespectful.

Reactions: mountainannie

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
It is a great concept. I would think that this program would cater to tourist families or couples that are looking for a Dominican family experience. That a person would take his "girl" to a family house would be inappropriate and uncomfortable for everyone.

$30 dollar hotels are everywhere, this program should not be seen as an alternative to a cheap hotel. Bringing a prostitute into a family's home is in bad taste and disrespectful.

... and should be forbidden

I think this is a great project for clean and wholesome tourism, but the same as the host family is being trained on how to welcome and treat their guests, so should the guests be "trained" on proper behavior and how to treat their host and their family with respect.

Reactions: mountainannie
Feb 15, 2005
I will bring this to the Alliance's attention Marilyn, Great Point!

They should have a brief welcoming encounter with the guests to ensure comfortability all around and to secure the program's success.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
I will bring this to the Alliance's attention Marilyn, Great Point!

They should have a brief welcoming encounter with the guests to ensure comfortability all around and to secure the program's success.

Exacto, imagine if the guest thinks that the daughter is included in the package?

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
awesome

i like the idea of being able to integrate more easily with the real people of the DR.

if they spread it to other areas i would be able to see and enjoy more of the country and get a better understanding of thier culture and customs.

i'm definitely in!!!!