electric bill

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Just received my electric bill from Las Terrenas electric company...323 kw,2500 pesos..I have a small house in El Limon.......no wonder most dominicans in LT or El Limon have difficulty in keeping elec in the house.....My friend has a apt complex,in Las Terrenas,where the tennants pay the elec,he pays for pool and water pumps....30 to 40000 pesos a month...and we think the capital is high...
bob

ontkojames

Sep 18, 2009
i hear you!

I live in Ensanche Naco and we only use one a/c at night to sleep. nothing during the day and our electric bill was $10000RD pesos! ridicuous. we even had it checked out with Edesur and its fine.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
In Las Terrenas, power is shamefully expensive, but it is mostly always on... One has to make sure everything is "bajo consumo", no fan, no AC, turn off devices when not used... I even had my fridge modified to use 1.5 amperes instead of 2 !!!

That said, it is good to have power all the time.

The condo's pool pump bill is around 5000rd$ usually...

May 8, 2009
In Las Terrenas, power is shamefully expensive, but it is mostly always on... One has to make sure everything is "bajo consumo", no fan, no AC, turn off devices when not used... I even had my fridge modified to use 1.5 amperes instead of 2 !!!

That said, it is good to have power all the time.

The condo's pool pump bill is around 5000rd$ usually...

Wow, that can add up quick. You know there are many energy efficient pool/spa pumps on the market. You can dial them in to not use more wattage than your 120 watt lightbulb. Most builders install pumps that are way oversized and that draw too much power.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
You guys on the island need to seriously start taking the bull by the horns and begin looking into solar energy, because the rip-offs with the electricity bills are going to continue and will only get worse as time goes on.

Expensive and inefficient. That how the companies supplying electricity make their money. And by charging more to paying customers to make up for those who steal it.

I would love to sit in on a business class in a Dominican university to listen to a professor explain this as a successful business model.

Like in another thread where the topic was internet service. Why update computers for faster internet service when the slower machines generate more money because the the pages take longer to load?

Absolutely brilliant.

Last edited: