More bad news, Cards voids DR prospect contract after a failed physical

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
LOL, they will send the newspaper an email explaining that is the Dominican Republic not the Dominican hehe.

But really this is a sad case, poor kid was even presented in Busch Stadium to the fans, the contract bonus was US$3.1MM. All that talent to waste due to faulty eyes.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
LOL, they will send the newspaper an email explaining that is the Dominican Republic not the Dominican hehe.

Not related to this thread...but last Monday night I had a 1.5 hour drive to a board meeting with another board member. He's a high-powered financial adviser who is also a real estate broker, and he's been approached by someone he knows to help sell a condo project at a resort 'somewhere in the Dominican' to American investors. He asked a lot of questions, many of which I could answer because of DR1. He's going there to stay in one of the condos for several weeks in October [but doesn't know what city the resort is in or which airport he's flying into, because his 'people' take care of the details]. It's about all we discussed there and back, and by the time we neared home he must have said 'the Dominican' about 50 times:ermm:. I pointedly said 'Dominican Republic' every time I mentioned the country, but he just didn't get it.

AE

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Well if this kid has talent and can put up some numbers for whatever he does he will get signed, albeit at a much discounted price. Don't worry Se?or Extreme de algo, he and his family won't have to just eat plastano sacoch? for long.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Well if this kid has talent and can put up some numbers for whatever he does he will get signed, albeit at a much discounted price. Don't worry Se?or Extreme de algo, he and his family won't have to just eat plastano sacoch? for long.

What's with your name calling man, you really should stop with your resentment over different topics post. Really mano, tumba eso de estar poniendole sobrenombres a los demas, he visto que has tenido problemas con demas por lo mismo. Tumba eso.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
maybe the dominicans should read the "How to be a Cuban defector and make it rich in the Major Leagues" :ermm:

patrickbc

May 5, 2008
"I’ve got doctors who say he does things better with his eye vision than normal players," Mercedes said. "What he makes up for with having 20/30 vision is above-normal depth perception. So it’s going to be a legal issue."

More details at Baseball America but the above is particularly interesting. Edgar Mercedes may be big enough to sue an MLB club, but it would be a new development, I think ...

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
This is just a way for the Cards to void this kids over priced contract. It's not the kids fault that they threw all that money at him They know that they overpaid him in the first place..And to all you haters, no need to worry, this kid is the real deal and there will be teams waiting in line to sighn him. GO YANKEEEEES!!!!!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
What's with your name calling man, you really should stop with your resentment over different topics post. Really mano, tumba eso de estar poniendole sobrenombres a los demas, he visto que has tenido problemas con demas por lo mismo. Tumba eso.

This is not name calling dude, just light hearted playing with you about your odd name.

If you expect to be fluent and live in the US and integrate among the Americans you should learn a little sense of humor. If not, you will more than likely misunderstand what they are talking about.

Furthermore, don't expect everyone to tell you this either. I'm doing you a favor - take care.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
The MLB(pro sports in general) have weird way of looking at things. NO 16 year old is ever worth 3.1 million dollars, pesos, yen etc.
just my 2 cents. :bunny::ermm:

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I read that people close to Mateo says (is a version, not confirmed) that what Mateo has in his right eye is myopia and because he is so young he is ineligible for Lasik. If that is true that is a sick way the Cardinals used to get rid of that 3.1 MM contract after bidding heavy for him against other teams.

It is easy to win the bidding process against teams like the Yankees, Boston, Giants, Kansas City, to then find a loophole in the system, order the team doctors not to sign the physical, void the contract and then offer Mateo a really discounted contract to make it look to Mateo's camp that he can cut his losses. All this is speculation in my part, but I am just thinking out loud.

El Deporte - Wagner Mateo est? ansioso por demostrar todo su talento

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Just an observation..

I read that people close to Mateo says (is a version, not confirmed) that what Mateo has in his right eye is myopia and because he is so young he is ineligible for Lasik. If that is true that is a sick way the Cardinals used to get rid of that 3.1 MM contract after bidding heavy for him against other teams.

It is easy to win the bidding process against teams like the Yankees, Boston, Giants, Kansas City, to then find a loophole in the system, order the team doctors not to sign the physical, void the contract and then offer Mateo a really discounted contract to make it look to Mateo's camp that he can cut his losses. All this is speculation in my part, but I am just thinking out loud.

El Deporte - Wagner Mateo est? ansioso por demostrar todo su talento
But that all seems like taking a really hard route around an easier exit - don't overbid for what you aren't entirely sure about.

There is so much more to this than makes the news; lawyers, doctors, insurance, etc.