50 kilos cocaine at Puerto Plata Airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
if you think of it as 50 bags of UK sugar, that's a fair old chunk that wont get to wreck another life/family

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
if you think of it as 50 bags of UK sugar, that's a fair old chunk that wont get to wreck another life/family
The supply is reduced meaning the price of the stuff that got through goes up. Means more crime to pay for it.

IMO, more lives and families get wrecked.

Drugs are not what is bad.

The crime to get drugs is what's bad.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
The supply is reduced meaning the price of the stuff that got through goes up. Means more crime to pay for it.

I'll agree with the first part of what you say cobraboy but drug addiction wrecks lives and tears families apart, as do many other addictions of course!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Is that alot? 50 kilos doesn't seem that much to me in reality. Thta only makes me wonder how many others got through as the police were so excited with themselves for getting a little bit of it.
Still good job fido!

before it is sold it will be cut to 100kg (or more) - using other chemicals. that would make 100.000 portions that sell in canada at approximately 100 dollars a pop. 10 million dollars. now - THAT sound like a lot, no?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Is that alot? 50 kilos doesn't seem that much to me in reality. Thta only makes me wonder how many others got through as the police were so excited with themselves for getting a little bit of it.
Still good job fido!

It's the maximum one is allowed to bring along in checked baggage without paying for excess luggage. :D Actually, it would have been about 10% over the max... as it now usually is two suitcases of 50Lbs each. They could have been asked to re-stuff some into their carry-on. :bunny:
But then, this was apparently a cargo shipment. Still, for sneaking something onto a commercial airplane, it's not peanuts. The street value in a developed country could reach from USD 4'000'000.oo up to USD 15'000'000.oo, depending on how it is sold (source: The Bermuda Police's street value calculator)

INPUT: Kilo: 50.00

charge $ Street Value ounces 1,763.70 2300 $4,056,505.62 1/2 gram 100,000 125 $12,500,000.00 crack rock 300,000 50 $15,000,000.00
To some, quite worth the risk, especially when the risk is usually deflected first on the marionettes in the game.

Knowing you a little bit, I am inclined to believe you tried to say something there which failed to come thru in your post, Cobraboy... but the way it reads, I'd have to join in with Black Dog's remarks here.

I'll agree with the first part of what you say cobraboy but drug addiction wrecks lives and tears families apart, as do many other addictions of course!

... J-D.

spiker19

May 16, 2006
Air Transat

They said the flight was Air Transat....who's luggage limit is 20kg per person, for checked luggage. Unless you buy club class (upgrade) of course!
After the 20kg its $10/kg....talk about high-cost in shipping! LOL

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Enough already!

Excuse my Gangster cool here, I'm a country lad from the green green hills where the mass income is hay! lol

You would really do all of the members of this community a service if you posted less jibberish and just searched for information on GOOGLE.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
drugs are probably one of the most pricey items (per gram). did i mention that in new zealand a gram of cocaine can cost as much as 700 dollars? no mistake there. seven hundred US dollars.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I'm still having trouble with these figures. Surely even drugs can't be worth that much money. I'm not naive, or stupid (ok, thats another debate) but that is a hughe ammount of money in such a small package, mind blowing. No cance someone has put a decimal point in the wrong place.

Excuse my Gangster cool here, I'm a country lad from the green green hills where the mass income is hay! lol

What is it you're struggling with Pig? The price per kilo or how much drugs 50 kilos actually is? I'm afraid I can't be much help on the cost (lack of experience) but as for the quantity try this, go to the gym and bench press 50 kilos or 110 LBS. It's a lot of weight my friend!

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
Every time I go through Puerta Plata airport they seem to do pretty good inspections of everything including using drug dogs right in front of you. I wouldn't chance trying to bring anything illegal through that airport.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Every time I go through Puerta Plata airport they seem to do pretty good inspections of everything including using drug dogs right in front of you. I wouldn't chance trying to bring anything illegal through that airport.

Steady Beads, that's almost admitting that you WOULD try it through other airports LOL ;)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

is this treatment reserved for folks arriving from USA or canada? i have travelled to POP from london and to SDQ from madrid and paris and i have never seen any dogs nor the police nor anyone checking luggage. heck, i could stroll in with maletas full of coke, uranium and TNT and no one would bat an eyelid.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
What is it you're struggling with Pig?QUOTE]

Aomeone quoted somewhere that that amount could be worth 10million $$$US for 50K's

Seems alot to me, but hey we aint playing with crocket and tubs here, this aint Maimi Vice!

STREET value in a developed country like the US, CAN, EU.
"Official" (police) online sources, would suggest that 50Kg (50'000gr) could, depending on how it is sold (to dealers in ounces, to coke snorters in 1/2gr doses or as crack) USD 4 to 15 Million respectively.

Just do a search for "cocaine street value" on most search any engine.

Obviously, this can be a couple of 100 percents higher than the wholesale value while still here.

is this treatment reserved for folks arriving from USA or canada? i have travelled to POP from london and to SDQ from madrid and paris and i have never seen any dogs nor the police nor anyone checking luggage. heck, i could stroll in with maletas full of coke, uranium and TNT and no one would bat an eyelid.

Yeah I know, I even smuggled a pedal steel guitar into the DR once! Almost unnoticed. :D Imagine!
Really, there is not so much a trend of smuggling retail quantities of drugs INTO the DR through airports going one. IF a "mule" really brought dope from Miami or Madrid into POP, it must have been so high on that stuff that it had snorted it all up anyway which sent the mule to stagger onto the wrong flight. :tired:

Really, it's drugs being smuggled OUT of the DR which seem to be the issue. Yes, at times they have the dogs out sniffing around the check-inn lobby, but I suspect it may more be meant to impress the onlookers. But I understand that they have to check things behind the "curtains". I also observed once that they have quite a protocol when it comes to load an AA airplane with cargo and even luggage. Security guards checking each other, and especially the ones allowed in for anything they could carry onto the airplane before they were allowed to board the cargo area.

... J-D.

Last edited:

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
Steady Beads, that's almost admitting that you WOULD try it through other airports LOL ;)

To earn 5-10 million USD cash for a few hours of work plenty of people would think about it. My point was simply that it seems like a 100% chance you would be caught if you tried.

Big Dan

Feb 14, 2009
Value in Small Packages

Just to clear this up a little..

Pure cocaine is cut with inert ingredients 3, 4 or 5 times before it is sold on the street. When wrapped as it was in Puerto Plata I'm sure it was pure. The dealers cut it as it is shipped down the line.

cougar

Jan 27, 2009
there was probably alot more by the time the cops are done stealing it there was only 50kilos to report to the news

Status
Not open for further replies.