Playa Grande Golf???

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
Does anyone know if they have started work on the development project at Playa Grande. Will the golf still be open to the public this winter???

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Yes it is still open to the public. Recent information given to several of us that play there on a regular basis is that the course will be closed early in 2010 ( no closing date given).
The developers have plans for a complete course redesign, along with a new hotel, as well as private housing units being built. In addition, the course will be private after the renovation are completed.
HAPPY GOLFING!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think the redesign applies to the back nine only to accomodate the new hotel.
Sadly , it is rumoured that it will sit on the current 13th hole. Supposedly, 12 will be reversed - and other adjustments to be announced.
The Trent Jones team was there about a year ago - maybe a bit more than a year. I met them then at La Catalina.
Front nine may stay open during renovation.
This may be a bit of old news -- from late spring early, early summer.

The corporate mind spins a bit these days although we hear that this project is one of only 2 or 3 survivors in their global portfolio that will go forward.

Anyway, it will be private... hotel occupants, on site landowners and some local landowners - again, we are told.

So it may all be moot !!!

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Already a dang villa going up almost IN the fairway on #2. Jeez, you'd think with all the space out there they could move 'em back a few yards?

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Already a dang villa going up almost IN the fairway on #2. Jeez, you'd think with all the space out there they could move 'em back a few yards?

Maybe the new owners only have a 9 iron and a putter to play with!:cheeky:

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
Closing the course would be a PR blunder. They have already scheduled 3 closings, and canceled them all. What better publicity could one have- playing golf next to the lots they want to sell. And going private- with 400 parcels still unsold-? I believe they will re-evaluate--- again K

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
The development is really too bad for this site that was so beautiful and pristeen. At least we will be able to play this winter based on all your comments.
Thank you.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Closing the course would be a PR blunder. They have already scheduled 3 closings, and canceled them all. What better publicity could one have- playing golf next to the lots they want to sell. And going private- with 400 parcels still unsold-? I believe they will re-evaluate--- again K
I would be very surprised if they go private and stay private.
I just can't imagine there being enough demand these days to justify turning away extra cash from the public.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I would be very surprised if they go private and stay private.
I just can't imagine there being enough demand these days to justify turning away extra cash from the public.

I think you have to ask whether it will go forward as a golf course or as a hotel/housing development.
The vision of the developer is what will drive the future.

I understand the hotel operation will be managed by the Amman Group - the Amangani hotel people. I don't see their customer being much of a golfer but that may not matter to them.

The hotel site is superb... if it comes off the way it is planned , there will be good jobs created on the property at the hotel.... good for the locals.
If the housing development works out... more jobs.

The course has been underutilised for quite a while.. was it ever a money maker? Even a good revenue producer?

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
The course has been underutilised for quite a while.. was it ever a money maker? Even a good revenue producer?
I have no idea what their numbers are but it sounds like the course has plenty of excess capacity for members and the public.

If allowing the public continued access would make it tough for members to book their tee times, then going private makes sense to me.
Otherwise it seems idiotic to turn away extra cash.
Plus they can easily give members preferred booking privileges.

If it is simply to keep out the riff-raff, the company and members had better have deep pockets that still contain lots of disposable cash.

Doesn't this company have investors that they are accountable to?

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have no idea what their numbers are but it sounds like the course has plenty of excess capacity for members and the public.

If allowing the public continued access would make it tough for members to book their tee times, then going private makes sense to me.
Otherwise it seems idiotic to turn away extra cash.
Plus they can easily give members preferred booking privileges.

If it is simply to keep out the riff-raff, the company and members had better have deep pockets that still contain lots of disposable cash.

Doesn't this company have investors that they are accountable to?

Can't really speak for them but go to Amanresorts - Luxury resort hotels Bali, India, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Morocco, Thailand - home to get a feel for how they feel about their business philosophy, customers/privacy, etc

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
The Aman group properties are really impressive, I see what you mean, they won't need the little player's money. Well I guess we will enjoy the course while it is still available to us and then we will look at it when we drive by.
Thanks for the info.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I agree with you.
Just think of the scope of the project.. all the acreage, villas, hotel and so on. The amount of green fees will be paltry.

My guess is that the course today is a money losing situation.... the revenues don't cover the staffing and maintenance. And the place looks like its poor... carts won't get around, shoddy maintenance.

Its a beautiful site and course but....... sayonara :))

New sugardaddy needed!!

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
New Sugar Momma Needed!

I?m looking for one to build my new villa between #4 green and #5 tee at P.G.
Pebble Beach will just have to wait!:cheeky:

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
As I just saw in Florida last week, the carts will now have GPS, to show me where my ball is, and how far it is from from hole. The GPS will also show me how to get back to the Club House if I do not want to use the little blue toilets......

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ah, the rich and famous...what a shame....Oh well, I guess I could always say I knew the course "way back when"....and I truly loved it...

but no way it is worth 250K US...no way!!...Cap Cana is way better.

HB

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
i met blaise montandon,resort marketing director of aman group at a cocktail party last month in jakarta and she told me that when playa grande was up and running in a few years membership would start at 250,000 u.s

ok, at those prices... time to move this to the clown bin!

ps: i love the course & if i had that type of money to throw around i'd join. but, based on financial reality, i don't see myself as a member in this lifetime! :ermm:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
ps: i love the course & if i had that type of money to throw around i'd join. but, based on financial reality, i don't see myself as a member in this lifetime! :ermm:
If YOU had that sort of money to throw around I might even ask you to become my friend & invite you to play there more often with me!! :cheeky: ;)

Ah, the rich and famous...what a shame....Oh well, I guess I could always say I knew the course "way back when"....and I truly loved it...

but no way it is worth 250K US...no way!!...Cap Cana is way better.

HB

Hmmmmm? Do you think that Robert could/would be able to negotiate a discount for DR1 members ..................................... Like about 90% off? I mean ...... we DO promote it well on DR1 don't we? ~ Graahme.:pirate:

Status
Not open for further replies.