Need advice: Bayahibe or Punta Cana?

vivile

Apr 1, 2009
Hello
I am currently living in Sto Domingo, and will receive some friends over from Europe. I want to take them to the "beautiful carabean beaches" of DR but... which one is better? Bayahibe or Punta Cana / Bavaro???
Any advice?
Thanks
Vivile

Last edited by a moderator:

caipiranha

Feb 15, 2008
Hello
I am currently living in Sto Domingo, and will receive some friends over from Europe. I want to take them to the "beautiful carabean beaches" of DR but... which one is better? Bayahibe or Punta Cana / Bavaro???
Any advice?
Thanks
Vivile
Oh oh, this answer is difficult. At Punta Cana you only have that beautiful beach, some discos, but no environment. At Bayahibe you have a nice beach, especially when walking into the "Parque National del Este". And so many things to do and easily to explore (Saona, La Romana, Isla Catalina, Santo Domingo...)

Is it the 1st time for your friends to come to the RD? Where are they from? Perhaps ask them, what they do prefer? Beaches only, or a little bit of Dominican Culture, Dominican nature and Dominican life?
I?m an European, too, Punta Cana is a nice place, but for me it?s soooo isolated from Dominican life, for myself I`d prefer Bayahibe.

Saludos + sorry for my bad English

vivile

Apr 1, 2009
Hello

They are from France... You're right, for sure they will prefer cultural stuff also. Do some excursions....
Any hotel recommendation?

Saludos
Vivile

caipiranha

Feb 15, 2008
If Bayahibe, Iberostar would be the best option.
Yes, that?s my experience, too.

I also spent 3 weeks in the Oasis Canoa in 2006 (the Iberostar was booked out). Everything was great, especially the beach, to my opinion the best beach area in Bayahibe. But I changed my room twice, till I found a room according to 4* hotel standard.

saludos (and sorry for my bad English)

Cantaloulou

Feb 19, 2008
Bayahibe

Pour vos amis de la France, je recommande fortement la r?gion de Bayahibe!

I've been to Punta Cana and I agree besides the beach there is not much to do!!! For all the reasons mentioned above plus Bayahibe is very close to La Romana, Alto de Chavon and las Cuevas Maravillas!

vivile

Apr 1, 2009
Hello
Thank you all for your advices. It's decided it will be Bayahibe!! Now I just have to decide which hotels
Thank you so much!!
Vivile

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
My preferred vacation destination is Dreams La Romana but in May I tried a week at the Iberostar followed by a week at Dreams. While I really liked a lot about the Iberostar and think that anybody could have a good time there, I absolutely think that Dreams has it bested in all ways. The service is very much better at Dreams, plus the variety of dining options--without reservations (due to the Iberostar reservation system, I was not able to eat in any restaurant other than the buffet all week)--and drink selection are more diverse and superior. The rooms are either new or recently renovated at Dreams and there are 2 full pools to choose from (3 if you book Preferred Club).

Depending on what you want from your beach and ocean water, they may be similar or you may prefer one to the other, but the snorkeling is much better at Dreams. I like that Dreams is walking distance to Bayahibe compared to the Iberostar being at Dominicus. They are different little towns but you can get to the other by gua gua if you're not walking distance away. Iberostar is decorated in a more formal style with chandeliers and marble and symmetrical gardens, where Dreams is more modern with dark wood and bold colours and more unstructured gardens.

People often seem to like one to the exclusion of the other, but I don't see it as that kind of competion. I have my preference for a number of reasons and rate Dreams a half star higher than the Iberostar so in light of the idea presented here that Iberostar is the best in the area, I wanted to offer my suggestion of Dreams. If you're interested, you can do your own compare and contrast by scanning through my albums of pictures of my recent stays. February at Dreams is at Sweet Dreams La Romana February, 2009 pictures, photos, and videos, from caribbean on webshots and May at the Iberostar is at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus--May, 2009 pictures, photos, and videos, from caribbean on webshots I haven't had a chance to do an album of my week in May at Dreams.

If you're interested in a bunch of suggested outings and "must sees", please send me a note and I can forward you some links and pictures.

Kaki
kaki.ulan@sasktel.net

red bull

Jan 3, 2010
Dreams La Romana

Your review is very interesting and helpful. We have booked a Deluxe Garden View Room from 18 Jan - 4 Feb 2010 and cannot wait. Can you pay to upgrade to preferential club when you arrive? Assuming they have availability of course.... I need internet access, did it work well in your PC room?

We are travelling with kids 3 and 5, so they should enjoy the children club - whilst we can relax!!

Hoping to visit La Romana city, just for some local flavour and wander down beach to Bayahibe itself - to escape the AI resort. My wife lived in Santo Doming when she was 17 and worked in the north of the island when she was in her early 20's - so we are looking forward to exploring the the south east.

Any help or suggestions you can offer, much appreciated!!!

FELIZ A?O NUEVO for 2010

no free advertising , link removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
You can indeed pay to upgrade when you arrive to check in...if they have the availability. If they don't offer it to you, be sure to ask. I think they like to sell the upgrade if it's available so should probably do that unless they haven't the time with a full lobby of check ins to run through the benefits. If you don't upgrade at first, you can see if you like your regular room and then move on the next day or when a room becomes free. I didn't have my laptop with me when I was there last and didn't use the in-room WiFi. If you have any trouble, you can use one of the computers in the Preferred Club lounge which is open from about 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. You will check with them to get the password and info you need to get the free wireless.

I am going to be in Bayahibe from January 16 - 23 in a beach rental and then at the Oasis Canoa from the 23rd to 30th. I may see you in the village! If you saw my pictures of Dreams and recognize me, please say hi! If you want tour ideas, please send me an e-mail. I have links and pictures and can't post the suggestions here.

Kaki
kaki.ulan@sasktel.net