Grand Oasis Punta Cana

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
Originally we were booked to go to Boca Chica, however our tour operator pulled the plug due to low demand and re-routed us to Punta Cana.
I am a little concerned about this as I am the type that likes to take in the non AI atmosphere as much as possible and I understand that some of these AI's are quite remote.

Are there non AI bars / resterants within walking distance of this resort?
If not what kind of $$ are we looking at to cab it to Bavaro?
I am hoping to watch the Thanks Giving NFL games off the resort.
Any recomendations?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
hi Rumble,
at the Oasis, located in Cabeza de Toro, i live myself on that beach right aside the Oasis few hundred beach meters south, here you are very remote for what you ask for. actually not even one open restaurant around.
few bars, none with TV for your game.
cabby to Bavaro would be 30 bucks each way. a good spot to watch the games with good TV equipment would be Steve's Corner bar at the Plaza Bavaro.
Mike

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
I am concerned your tour operator pulled the plug on Boca Chica. What resort was it? the Hamaca? Low demand? Thanksgiving week in DR [granted is not celebrated or truly recognized] is still a busy week for resorts. I went a few years back and the Hamaca had plenty of people over, even had a turkey meal on Thanksgiving day! Double check with your tour operator and demand to find out what the deal is with that. I am shocked they would send you far off to Punta Cana....

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
Thanks.

Yes, it was the Hamaca.
It is a charter from Canada so US Thanksgiving traffic is likely not as heavy out of Canada as we do not share the same Thanksgiving weekend as Americans(for those that do not know).

I would assume I can take a guaga to Steve's corner bar @ plaza Bavaro?

Where would I catch the guaga if there is one?

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
hi Rumble,
at the Oasis, located in Cabeza de Toro, i live myself on that beach right aside the Oasis few hundred beach meters south, here you are very remote for what you ask for. actually not even one open restaurant around.
few bars, none with TV for your game.
cabby to Bavaro would be 30 bucks each way. a good spot to watch the games with good TV equipment would be Steve's Corner bar at the Plaza Bavaro.
Mike

This sounds like opportunity knocking Mike.
Put out a TV , a cooler of Beer , and us NFL junkies will gladly pay out premium pesos to watch the games in your little peice of paradise :cheeky:

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
ha ha, right Rumble,
but i prefer the quiet remote style without doing business on it, ha ha.
to the Guagua(public bus) question:
yes, it is possible to go to Steve's from Cabeza de Toro by Guagua, even that you have change the bus on half way.
you grab the guagua passing right in front of the front gate of your hotel Oasis, passing by there every 30 minutes all day long, and let the bus attentend(cobrador) know you wanna go to the Plaza Bavaro.
so they drop you off at the crossing where you will catch within 10 minutes the bus to Plaza Bavaro. once arrived at the Plaza Bavaro(they announce in the bus that you arrived at the Plaza Bavaro) you leave the bus(it is on a small crossing), you turn right and walk 30 meters, there where the road makes a left turn you see the bar on your left, it is located on the street front right in the corner.
the guaguas cost you each ride/bus $1.- per person(long time that i used a guagua down here, don't kill the driver in case they may ask for $2.- nowadays, i know many rates went up since i used a bus here the last time).
have fun on our lovely Isle
Mike

vivile

Apr 1, 2009
Hello
Just a quick comment. I don't know the Oasis at Bavaro beach but I know Boca Chica and believe me you will be better at Bavaro than in Boca Chica: Beach, location, neighborhood, ect....
Boca chica is not really a nice place to know DR. It is basically a city where people from Sto Domingo and cheap tourism go.