Disturbing article & photos

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Wow. I had no idea. I'm sure they posted the pics of the most extreme cases. I have seen several people with this problem but just in one of their legs. I'm no doctor, but would like to know, what causes this and why is it so common in Barahona? Genetics?

And what kind of treatment can be given for this? Can it be cured?

What exactly is being done or needs to be done?

Maybe the article talked about this, but with the pics I just couldn't concentrate/focus. I'm still dazed.

There is also somewhere in Barahona that has an extremely high percentage of hermaphrodites. I think it's Salinas, but will see if I can find an article about it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The article says that there is a specific treatment for the parasites and their larva.
"
You get this walking around barefoot.

to the lay person this is called "elephantitis", but that is not the proper name..which is : elephantiasis.

Generally only seen in poor areas of the tropics..

HB

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
The article says that there is a specific treatment for the parasites and their larva.
"

to the lay person this is called "elephantitis", but that is not the proper name..which is : elephantiasis.

HB

HB, do you know if the parasite is eradicated does the swelling go right back to normal? I have seen the odd case of this in the UK or the same symptoms at least!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Movie

"

HB

Remember the movie "Elephant Man" starring John Hurt ?
It was true story about a man in England... truth is stranger than fiction.

Its worth a rent sometime when you have power :))