Beyond The Beach eBay Charity Auction

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
For those of you unfamiliar with eBay, all you have to do is go to eBay Canada and enter the auction number.

This thread will be updated with basic descriptions and auction numbers as they are posted.

Complete list of items.

Gran Ventana 330364084569

Ocean World Dolphin Swim 330364093564

Fun Tropicale/Royale 330364365163

Ocean World Dolphin Encounter 330364367499

Mikes Fishing Adventure 330364655025

Blue Bay Villas 330364667771

Ocean Dream Condo 330364856053

Tropical Storm Sunset Lobster Cruise 330364857435

Ocean World Sea Lion Encounter 330365076950

PC Mike's Adventure 330365078749

Ocean World Shark & Sting Ray Encounter 330365379910

Gift Certificate Hemingway's, Puerto Plata 330365391060

Ocean World General Admission 330365814166

JVC XV-N312S DVD Player - 330365815574

Ocean World Bravissimo Show 330366091328

Handmade fused glass pendant - 330366092104

Bid high and bid often, and remember it is ALL for the kids.

Gregg
Secretary
BTBCF

Last edited:

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
Just tried 3 bids and have been overbid everetime, someone has be determined price and it won't go under that price...

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
And yes I do have a Paypal account and am used to bidding on E-bay...someone really wants to swim with dolphins....

donquixote

Aug 2, 2005
it was much easier the old way that you posted all on your web site with the current amounts bid,,,i do not think you will attract more interest as on this site and your past way of doing things..i know myself i had trouble trying to get into ebay and seeing where things were at and i always bought in past.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
it was much easier the old way that you posted all on your web site with the current amounts bid,,,i do not think you will attract more interest as on this site and your past way of doing things..i know myself i had trouble trying to get into ebay and seeing where things were at and i always bought in past.

We wanted to try something different in order to maximize the funds available for the kids. The decision to try eBay was not without serious discussion but in the end we all want what's best for the kids. This allows for staggered finishes for similar items so if a bidder misses on one package he or she might bid on their second choice, thereby increasing subsequent bid amounts. We will be reevaluating the whole thing after the end in the light of all aspects of the experience and at some appropriate point we will let our supporters know the results via the usual channels.

Gregg

donquixote

Aug 2, 2005
i know you are trying gregg,,but if you now eliminate some of us from not only bidding, but also from progressing the prices ongoing during the auction, it defeats the purpose,,,good luck regardless,,you all are doing a good deed,,,

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Gregg,
Certainly much more difficult this way and in fact keeps me off the site, even though we did make a donation of a weeks vacation. With out a personal pay pal account (and not going to set one up) it will also keep me and others from bidding. Now Pat is another story with her account she may bid some.

I do hope the new system works out as this is a great thing you guys are doing. I just have some reservations on the numbers you will attract.

Good luck,

Bob K

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
I understand what is being said and as I mentioned the decision was not unanimous but in fairness to our donors of prizes, the majority felt we had to do our best to maximize exposure and hopefully final bid amounts. We will be taking the results as well as all comments received into account in deciding what to do next year. As stewards of the donations received we felt an obligation to explore all reasonable alternatives to maximize funds raised for the kids.

As with anything new, time will tell, and please keep in mind that nothing is etched in stone should the results be less than stellar. As the discussion process is directed at next year's auction we will keep all stakeholders in the loop on what we are doing and why.

Gregg

dot

Jun 19, 2005
www.beyondthebeach.ca
As Gregg says, we will be following all comments and keeping them in mind for future auctions.

Our #1 goal is to raise as much as possible to help the children of the Dominican Republic and, to be honest, I was very disappointed with the results of what some items brought in last auction. I have been outbid 6 times on the Gran Ventana package but, I hope whoever it is will keep bidding... more money for the kids!

One thing also is that with running our own auction, there was an enormous amount of work involved for Wud (he never complained though). At the end of last years auction, someone complained that they had been overbid at the last minute and more or less said that someone had "influence" in the outcome..... that can NOT be said when we use Ebay.

I joined Ebay and opened a PayPal account the day before our auction began as I had never been on Ebay before - I seem to be able to bid and "watch" other items. I am sorry for any troubles some are having with bidding but, hope you understand our reasons for doing this.... it is for the children.

Thank you,

Olive Thompson, President
Beyond the Beach Children's Foundation

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Two more item added; please see Post #1 in this thread for a complete list.

Ocean Dream Condo 330364856053

Tropical Storm Sunset Lobster Cruise 330364857435

Gregg

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com

Ocean World Sea Lion Encounter 330365076950

PC Mike's Adventure 330365078749

Gregg

EDinNB

Apr 1, 2006
I really hope no one at DR1 feels that the foundation went the eBay route to restrict anyone from bidding, quite the contrary the main point to pushing for ebay this year was to maximize the bidding from anyone who wished to support our charity, not just our friends on 3 or 4 online forums who have been so gracous in the past and we do appreciate your support.

With over 6 million hits a day eBay offers an unlimited opportunity to expose the foundation and our generous sponsors to new people that may never had heard about is in the past. We are a small foundation run solely by volunteers trying to make a difference and we have to try every opportunity presented to us to promote our cause.

I undersand completely an individual's reluctance to open a paypal account and link personal banking information to total strangers. Try this for an example...If you have ever made an online purchase with a credit card, you had to supply that merchant your credit card number, your mailing address and hoped it was a safe and secure transaction. With paypal the vendor never sees your financial information, they get notification that you have paid for the item and give you the shipping address, then the money is deposited in your paypal account for transfer to your own bank at a time of your choosing and any purchase made with paypal is guaranteed so you know you will get what you paid for or your money back.

Again fellow DR1 members we didn't choose eBay to eliminate or restrict bidders, we did it to try and make more money to help the kids of the Dominican Republic.

Thanks for your indulgence,

EDinNB
eBay Auction Coordinator
BTBCF Commitee Member

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com

Ocean World Shark & Sting Ray Encounter 330365379910

Gift Certificate Hemingway's, Puerto Plata 330365391060

Gregg

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Any chance items will be up for bid in the Santo Domingo area?

Sorry, all items are either in the Puerto Plata or Punta Cana areas. These are the areas where our board of Directors tend to vacation and where our supporters and DR based charities are resident.

Gregg