What is it with dominican men and keeping appointments

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I have been living here for quite awhile now and I am starting to lose it with Dominican men NEVER EVER keeping their appointments. Not only do they not keep appointments, they NEVER call you to tell you they can't make it.
Why, is it just plain stupidity, or is it they just don't give a damn. Electricians, plumbers, masons,Tricom, whatever it is, they just don't show up. Does this happen to everyone here? And when you call them the next day and ask them what happened, they say they will be out that day. AND THEY STILL DON'T SHOW UP.

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005
I have been living here for quite awhile now and I am starting to lose it with Dominican men NEVER EVER keeping their appointments. Not only do they not keep appointments, they NEVER call you to tell you they can't make it.
Why, is it just plain stupidity, or is it they just don't give a damn. Electricians, plumbers, masons,Tricom, whatever it is, they just don't show up. Does this happen to everyone here? And when you call them the next day and ask them what happened, they say they will be out that day. AND THEY STILL DON'T SHOW UP.

... sounds like most contractors in NJ.

CJ

Sep 22, 2009
Pandora's box

Yes. Perhaps.

I was consulting to general counsel at Citi before they sold retail operations in SD. I had a key stakeholder not show up for 3 very important meetings (one time he told me he actually got a flat tire coming back from lunch - this is a senior guy btw). Hmmmmm

I called him out on it. They terminated my contract.

I NEVER make appointments or meetings for after lunch for the past 7 years :)

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Is that what you have to do, make all your appointments before lunch? If that is the answer, worth a shot.

Sep 22, 2009
I tell my wife (a native Dominican) who grew up not really caring if these folks showed up or not (inherent), to get 3-5 different types on the phone until the first one shows up.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Very unreliable....

It happens to everyone they are very unreliable, and you right they never call to tell you that can't make, so more than a few times I have gone to an office and sat there waiting for an appointment, or stayed home when for some worker to show up like I was promised.

I actually think that Tri-com is one of the worst offenders. That got me twice. First time when I moved into my new apt. I paid all my fees, and I was promised to have service between 3 - 5 days, well I thought that was long but I said ok what the heck, well 3 weeks later I was still waiting, I went to their main office and pitched a bi**ch, 4 or so times, each time being promised that the service was coming the next day. Finally I got it, and of course I have three different services from them so that meant three different technicians, one for the cable, one for the phone and one for the INTERNET.

So after that I was good for a month and then another apt. opened up in my building that was larger, had more windows for air, and had a real nice view of the Caribbean Sea. So of course I wanted it, again to their offices on Lope Vega, and of course I reminded them how long I had to wait the last time, actually I had been in their offices causing so much of a fuss from the first time they all remembered me, and of course I was assured that the reason I had to wait so long last time and was promised so many appointments that were never kept; was because I was a new customer, now I was a "cliente estimado", and as such there would be no such delay, definitely in three days, all services will be moved upstairs only one flight up in the same building.

So I of course leave with trepidation but what else could I do, and you guessed it, another three weeks, with another 4 - 5 trips to their offices for me to let off my steam.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
There's more....

Well that was my Tri-com experience, I guess you can expect it after all they are a big corporation, and I am only one customer, so what do they really care about me? My business wouldn't make or break them. I know it would be different if you dealt with someone who needed your money for his/her business to succeed right, well you would have guess wrong.

First experience is a guy that sells business cards, he was late for the initial meeting to discuss what I wanted, but since a friend recommended him I agreed to allow him to do the work, and agreed to have him deliver them to me in 4 days, because he was busy and had many clients, I told him I needed them though, before a certain date because I was going out of town and would need them for the trip. The appointed day comes and I get at the location 20 minutes early which is my custom, at the time of the apt. I call him and he tells me he is caught in traffic that he will be there within 10 minutes. Thirty minutes later I give up and just leave, to continue with my day, I of course call him up and give him a ration of sh*t, and hang up the phone on him.

The next day he calls me and tells me he is there with my cards, this happens to be one of my frustrating days dealing with the offices of Tri-com but I tell my taxi driver to instead of taking me home, take me to El Conde where I am to meet this guy, who called me 20 minutes earlier and said he was there waiting for me. Believe it or not I get there and the guy is no where to be found, I am there now so I decide to wait a little while, then I see my friend (the ex-pat) that recommended the guy, and I discuss the guy with him, he tells me to call the guy. No answer, hmmm?? I call a few times, still no answer, So my friend calls his number right after I do, and guess what the guy picks up the phone immediately. Now I am really ****ed, not only has he wasted my time, and lied to me, but he is screening my calls!!!!

At that point I just leave. I had class later that day, so now I am at the University it is now 5 hrs. after he was supposed to be waiting for me on El Conde, and I get this call from the guy, he says to me, "Where are you?? I am here waiting for you on El Conde." His tone indicated that he was perturbed with me, boy he should never had came at me like that, he was lucky he was where he was and I was where I was, as I proceeded to scream every cuss word I knew into the phone, he probably didn't understand what I said, because I only used English cusses, but I think he got the point!!!

So no it doesn't just happen to you!!!

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
It is not just blue collar workers, but doctors, engineers, bankers, all Dominicans. I have yet to meet a Dominican who was on time(except me). I made up my mind that if I had to need a Dominican to start a business I would find something else to do. Well I did. I have never entered into partnership with any Dominican(a deadly sin) But when having to use locals I try to outsmart them. Take my cardiologist and my urologist. Knowing they never show up at their posted time(4:30pm) I stop by during lunchtime, place my name on the list, go and take care of my other chores and come back after average-timing my number on the list and when I make it back my number is usually up. At worst I prefer to be the late one. One time the doc's secretary told me your number passed and I retorted "sorry I am just usually late as your boss, tell him I am here on TIME". Now the worst sin is to give down payments or prepaid services to electricians, plummers, and all laborers. And absolutely never...for any reason to furniture repairmen! Chances are your down payment and even your furniture will disappear in a drinking binge.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Ive had more trouble with europeans and americans to be truthful. The Domincans have usually turned up on time or earlier than expected............be honest who has taken days off work in their home countries and the person hasnt shown up

Sep 22, 2009
Ive had more trouble with europeans and americans to be truthful. The Domincans have usually turned up on time or earlier than expected............be honest who has taken days off work in their home countries and the person hasnt shown up

True that (regarding taking the day off of work and no one showing up --- hmmm Cablevision, Verizon - LOL). But I worked in Frankfurt and Zurich and those cats are some ON-TIME serious business people! And man those undergrounds and trams empirically arrive on the minute posted on the station map.

Funny thing: 5:01pm and there was no evidence of human life in the office.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006

Totally agree...... we come to live in a 'relaxed' country and atmosphere and then continually moan about them being relaxed :bunny: There are good and bad everywhere so it is just a question of finding reliable people I think.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
taken a day off is one thing....

Yeah it has happend a few times but rarely where I came from, and nothing like two weeks after you were promised service, ....... TWICE!!!!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes - it used to happen quite often when I lived in the UK. I remember an entire Saturday going up in smoke, waiting for the plumber all morning and for a furniture delivery all afternoon.

I once heard Mr C, who is Dominican, commenting to a friend that thanks to me he had learned the value of punctuality.

...which was news to me :D

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
One more!!

Just this past Thursday was a holiday here, I didn't realize it was a holiday, so I am in this guy's office the day before (last Weds.), we are talking about him designing my web page, etc. He gives some papers to look over in regards to the contract of service etc. I tell him I would look over it that night, and meet with him tomorrow at 10 am, like we did today, with any questions I had regarding the contract, and I would be willing to sign it if I was satisfied. He has always showed up late for each of our appts. 4 or 5 by this time, and when I remind him about it, he says not only won't he be late, he will be there before I get there.

So I get there early like I always do and I notice the offices are locked down, well I figure he must be coming at 10 to open up, for our meeting. Make a long story short he never shows, I call him at 10:15 and get no answer, the next day I call him at his office and he says of course he didn't show it was a holiday. I reminded him, I wasn't Dominican and wasn't familiar with all of the different holidays. I told him, he should have canceled the appt. once he remembered it was a holiday and he wasn't going to show, I still haven't signed the contract and probably won't now. Even though I liked his concept. We will see.

Sorry about all the posts on this particular topic but it is a pet peeve of mine, I always arrive early, and to deal with so many that always arrive late if they arrive at all drives me nuts!!

Last edited:

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
One more!!

Just this past Thursday was a holiday here, I didn't realize it was a holiday, so I am in this guy's office the day before (last Weds.), we are talking about him designing my web page, etc. He gives some papers to look over in regards to the contract of service etc. I tell him I would look over it that night, and meet with him tomorrow at 10 am, like we did today, with any questions I had regarding the contract, and I would be willing to sign it if I was satisfied. He has always showed up late for each of our appts. 4 or 5 by this time, and when I remind him about it, he says not only won't he be late, he will be there before I get there.

So I get there early like I always do and I notice the offices are locked down, well I figure he must be coming at 10 to open up, for our meeting. Make a long story short he never shows, I call him at 10:15 and get no answer, the next day I call him at his office and he says of course he didn't show it was a holiday. I reminded him, I wasn't Dominican and wasn't familiar with all of the different holidays. I told him, he should have canceled the appt. once he remembered it was a holiday and he wasn't going to show, I still haven't signed the contract and probably won't now. Even though I liked his concept. We will see.

It sounds like he had absolutly no respect for you as a customer. But if this is common here like it obviously seems, where do you go?

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
If you have to deal with anyone who wears a suit, in their office, about the only reliable time is between 10:15 am and 1:00 pm, on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. Forget them even being in the office on a Monday or a Friday (busy with their "outside appointments").

An alternative is to invite them out for a "business lunch". Forget them coming in early, or coming back after lunch. And if you choose to go to lunch, plan on at least 2 hours of restaurant time, (and 15 minutes talking business) and buying at least one bottle of wine. After all, someone else is paying , right?

If your doctor also works in a hospital, a reliable time to catch doctors without waiting is early in the morning, right as they finish their rounds. My doctor would open his consultorio for me at 7:30 am any morning I needed to see him. No receptionist, no other patients, no lines.

For cable TV/internet, telephone or AES techs, I have never called the office. I would find a tech in the street, and ask them if they wanted to make some extra $$. If so, follow me.... they always followed me and fixed the problem on the spot for a few 100 pesos. That may be why your tech was late - he was helping someone like me out who wasn't on their schedule or in their service area, jajaja.

One guy who has always been on time is Eddie Nu?ez at ITEPP Electronica in Santo Domingo who services my inversor. Sometimes it has been the next day, but he always has his guy Eduardo there at the appointed time.

You can pay one way or another - your time or some $$.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
My dentist who always runs late now comes out and tells me how late he is running, or gets the dental nurse to tell me as soon as I arrive, so I can nip off and do other things and then return. It took a few years to achieve this, mind you, but its done voluntarily now, I don't have to ask.

I also second GringoCArlos's idea about hunting guys down in the street. Including those who really ARE trying to find your house with a delivery of something or other. I have gone out to where our urbanizacion turns off the main road and lain in wait and jumped out when I've seen the van. Likewise the technique of going to the office and collecting the tecnico and bringing him to your house can also work. You have to be a little firm sometimes ;) but it also helps if they think you're a dotty, eccentric old gringa. If you're enthusiastic enough 'you really MUST come with me' you don't usually get refused. Prior training as a sheepdog helps also. :).

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
good advice

especially about finding a tech in the street and just offering him a few pesos to help fix your problem, although I don't know if that would have worked in my case simply because the office also had to change things.

To tell you the truth dealing with Tri-com was the most stressed and frustrated I've been since I moved down here well over 2 yrs. now. If that is the worse thing I have to deal with down here, I will truly have a fortunate remainder of my life.;)

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
This behavior of not being punctual and/or not showing up for appointments is very frustrating for those coming from cultures that respect punctuality. You have to become very ingenious to find ways to manage the conduct of persons in a manner that allows them to service your needs promptly and at the same time make them feel they are in control. Usually, this involves any use of money, food, and favors or any combination of them.

PJT jokes that the best way to make the population to be punctual is for the government to make it unlawful to show up on time.

Regards,
PJT