Sulpher Spas in Barahona

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
I will be spending a few days in Barahona in October. I have seen some information on Sulfer Spas in the area, in Canoa(Themal Spa?), Zurza Spa in Duverge and I believe there is one in Cabral. Does anyone have any information and/or recomendations as to which one would be best for a 1/2 day visit?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
These 'spas' are not resorts, just waterholes that you can visit with zero or little infrastructure. Don't get your hopes up - they are often surrounded by litter. The one in Canoa is thermal, not sure about the others.

I recommend staying at one of the nice hotels near Barahona and taking trips to all the ones you mention.

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Just a Few Hours

I will be staying at either Pontevedre or Playa Azul down on the coast. If I was to visit one of the "Spas" for a few hours I was just wondering if one was recomended more than another, if I only had time for one of them. A dominican driver I was with once recomended the one at Duverge, but some of his information didn't pan out. The web site GoBarahona GoBarahona.com - Come and Enjoy this Adventurous Place!!! - The Zurza spa in Duverg? says the one in Duverge has restrooms a parking lot and a cafeteria on weekends.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
I think it depends on how much time you have. If you go to Duverge, you're looking at like half a day. But on the plus side, you'd get to see Lago Enriquillo, and could go a little further up the road to Jimani and the border with Haiti to the market, and get some Haitian rum. But if you literally only have a couple hours, Canoa is much closer.

I haven't been to either one, just know the area. They are both on my "to do" list. I have heard that neither one has a lot of infrastructure, but also that they aren't dirty and full of trash. Just very natural looking. Bring your own food and anything that you think you might need while there.

I would have recommended the one on the other side of Lago Enriquillo, at the park where you can see the iguanas, but that one got washed out when the lake filled up with so much water from the tropical storms in 2007.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Cabral?

I don't think there is a sulfur spring there. Just a cold, fresh-water bathing hole used by the locals (I have been there). If you are looking for just a swimming hole with no sulfur, my favorite is called "Tres Marias" and is on the way to Neyba, right before getting there. It's an amazing color of blue/green from the minerals I suppose.

But the again you can bathe in fresh, cold water in the rivers at los Patos and San Rafael beaches...

Reactions: mountainannie

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Jimani Market

Minerva Feliz, Do you know what days the Haitian Market is open in Jimani?

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
The only actual "spa" is the one in Canoa and I recommend that if you go do not go alone, it's in the middle of nowhere, the road is barely passable and there's hardly any traffic that way, the "waterhole" is very small, at least the one I visited, and surrounded by litter, the water is hot, at least 35 degrees (celsius), while the others the water is really cold.

As someone mentioned the better ones are the ones in Duverge and La Descubierta, they have a huge parking lot, refreshments and food, but the water is really cold but they are on the main road and it gets a lot of visitors. The one in Cabral is a little smaller but is also pretty safe, is right on the road that goes up to Polo Magnetico.

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Based on the descriptions I probably will try the one in Duverge. If I wanted to drive around Largo Enriquillo how long should I allow from Barahona? How long if I just went straight to the market in Jimani and back? Are there still any problems from the flooding mentioned about six months ago? I may start out early and try to enjoy a few stops.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Based on the descriptions I probably will try the one in Duverge. If I wanted to drive around Largo Enriquillo how long should I allow from Barahona? How long if I just went straight to the market in Jimani and back? Are there still any problems from the flooding mentioned about six months ago? I may start out early and try to enjoy a few stops.

Allow at least 4 hours for the circuit around Lago Enriquillo (including stops for food and pictures) or maybe 5, if you only want to go to Jimani only is about two hours from Barahona, the road is not so good or it would be less time

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
Jimani - Malpasse Market opening hours

Minerva Feliz, Do you know what days the Haitian Market is open in Jimani?

The market stalls on the Haitian side are open every day - selling a mix of rum, clothes, tennis shoes, pots and pans and trading whatever other substances. Open from early morning and starts to dwindle by mid-afternoon

On Mondays and Thursdays there is a larger market on the Dominican Side, selling mainly food (sausages, hams, salami and the sorts), toiletries and cosmetics. Open from early morning until 1 pm. or so.

Enjoy the visit.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
The market stalls on the Haitian side are open every day - selling a mix of rum, clothes, tennis shoes, pots and pans and trading whatever other substances. Open from early morning and starts to dwindle by mid-afternoon

On Mondays and Thursdays there is a larger market on the Dominican Side, selling mainly food (sausages, hams, salami and the sorts), toiletries and cosmetics. Open from early morning until 1 pm. or so.

Enjoy the visit.

Last time I went to the Jimani market it was under water due to the flooding from Lake Sumatra, this was back in February.

Jimani market flooded by lake Azuei - a set on Flickr

I don't know the condition of the market now but rest assured that there's no danger to travelers from the flooding because it is contained to some areas and the main roads are not affected (yet), but on some parts we stopped on the side of the road and stepped in muddy waters from the lake

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Sulfur spring in Canoa...

...what you see is what you get.

I finally made it out to the sulfur spring in Canoa and wanted to share my experience. THIS is the place that all the tourism/investment noise was made about, where Italians were (are?) going to build a resort/spa with multiple tennis courts.

A bumpy dirt road that goes through the poorest neighborhood, past the cemetery, and through the desert-like terrain will take you here. Just ask anyone in the community where it is.

Unfortunately, the place is not maintained at all. It's too bad that the Ayuntamiento there can't step up to make this place into a nice little tourist stop while the government and Italians shuffle some more papers and pass a few things under the table. It is surrounded by litter and other lovely presents left behind by bathers as there are no bathrooms. Unless you are in the water, the mosquitoes will eat you alive. Bring repellent!

I had never been to a sulfur spring, and wanted to take advantage of whatever properties it is supposed to have for your skin, so I got in. It was nice and warm. I would say hot, but not too hot by the standards of a someone who enjoys a hot shower. There wasn't any trash in the pool, and the water was moving in and out, giving me the impression that at least that part was clean. It did indeed reek of "rotten eggs" and there was some slimy stuff that looked like it was right out of Ghost Busters coating the rocks, but I noticed an improvement in my skin over the next week.

There were a few locals also bathing there. They said the pool used to be a lot bigger, but got washed out during the tropical storms of 07. There is supposed to be some great underground network of springs, which the locals claim the Italians have mapped out and are confident they can tap into to make this brackish hole in the desert into a lush resort/spa.

The sulphur spring is popular with folks with skin and health problems around the area, as well as with the locals from Canoa during the "cold" December holidays, when supposedly it is so packed people have to take turns to get in. It's also a hit with brujas and folks that are into brujeria, who frequent the place on Tuesdays and especially if a Tuesday falls on the 13th (kind of like Friday the 13th). They take back bottles of the water to do their stuff.

So, whether you're a bruja, have a dermatological issue or just have an hour to spare on your trip between Barahona and Santo Domingo, the sulfur spring in Canoa awaits you. :bunny:

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
...what you see is what you get.

I finally made it out to the sulfur spring in Canoa and wanted to share my experience. THIS is the place that all the tourism/investment noise was made about, where Italians were (are?) going to build a resort/spa with multiple tennis courts.

A bumpy dirt road that goes through the poorest neighborhood, past the cemetery, and through the desert-like terrain will take you here. Just ask anyone in the community where it is.

Unfortunately, the place is not maintained at all. It's too bad that the Ayuntamiento there can't step up to make this place into a nice little tourist stop while the government and Italians shuffle some more papers and pass a few things under the table. It is surrounded by litter and other lovely presents left behind by bathers as there are no bathrooms. Unless you are in the water, the mosquitoes will eat you alive. Bring repellent!

I had never been to a sulfur spring, and wanted to take advantage of whatever properties it is supposed to have for your skin, so I got in. It was nice and warm. I would say hot, but not too hot by the standards of a someone who enjoys a hot shower. There wasn't any trash in the pool, and the water was moving in and out, giving me the impression that at least that part was clean. It did indeed reek of "rotten eggs" and there was some slimy stuff that looked like it was right out of Ghost Busters coating the rocks, but I noticed an improvement in my skin over the next week.

There were a few locals also bathing there. They said the pool used to be a lot bigger, but got washed out during the tropical storms of 07. There is supposed to be some great underground network of springs, which the locals claim the Italians have mapped out and are confident they can tap into to make this brackish hole in the desert into a lush resort/spa.

The sulphur spring is popular with folks with skin and health problems around the area, as well as with the locals from Canoa during the "cold" December holidays, when supposedly it is so packed people have to take turns to get in. It's also a hit with brujas and folks that are into brujeria, who frequent the place on Tuesdays and especially if a Tuesday falls on the 13th (kind of like Friday the 13th). They take back bottles of the water to do their stuff.

So, whether you're a bruja, have a dermatological issue or just have an hour to spare on your trip between Barahona and Santo Domingo, the sulfur spring in Canoa awaits you. :bunny:

I was there a few weeks ago and was wondering if this is what all the noise was about, but the underground network of springs would explain the interest of the italians. I suggest to anyone who wants to visit to be careful because both times I've been there the road has been very lonely and the spring is in a very isolated place, I have never seen anyone around, just a few people on motorcycles, which scare me a little, but then I'm a little paranoid around men riding motorcycles.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Most likely it's a safe place to visit, but there was a robbery there a few months ago of some foreigners. It sounded like they were they to investigate something about a business venture, and had lots of cash on them, so could have been an inside job.

It is indeed isolated. I say don't go there by yourself or very late and try to bring Dominicans along if possible.