Laguna Boat Trips

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
I was thinking of possibly taking one of the boat trips on one of the lagunes in the Barahona area, either Cabral or Oviedo. It seems that finding a working/fueled boat is sometimes an issue. Does anyone have any relatively recent experience with this sort of trip along with recomendations. I know that the company Ecotours offers these trips but they frequently have a six person minimum and we are only two in the slow season. We thought since we have a car we may try to negotiate the trip with just two of us.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
I have never been to the one in Oviedo, although it's on my "to-do" list.

Right now I am trying to contact a person that I know that lives in Duverge and would know the Jimani market days. Also, I think you might be able to get out to Isla Cabritos in the middle of Lago Enriquillo from the town of Duverge, and there you could see big iguanas and possibly an american crocodile. I'll post what I find out about those things as soon as I get an answer, unless somebody already has one :)

If you are more of an adventure person, like hiking and want to see more of local life, I know people that could take you on a hike out to Laguna Cabral, to a small cave, out in a "yola" (boat carved from a tree trunk used for fishing in the lake), and you could eat lunch in a typical house. They have training on the local wildlife, but don't speak English. If I'm around that weekend I could go along to translate as I live nearby and wouldn't mind going out there again myself. Note: to go out on this lake, it would have to be earlier in the morning b/c later in the day the wind picks up more and the waves get too big for the boats to safely handle.

Here is some info about the Laguna Cabral:
Refugio de Vida Silvestre Laguna Cabral o Rinc?n
The person I know who can take you out there as a guide is Juan Alberto, a university student, and he is in a couple of the photos on that blog.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Photos from Laguna Rincon (Laguna Cabral)

From when a nature-loving friend came to visit...

Going out in a real "yola", like a canoe carved from a large tree trunk:

Out on the lake:

Hiking back through the desert-like terrain (about 1.5 hour hike, I think):

Don't have any pics of the small cave, known as the cathedral or iglesia (church), that locals claim was used by the Tainos.