Wedding paperwork

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Hi,
Im getting married in December and im trying to get my head around the paperwork.

I am from UK and I think the only paperwork I need (for me) is my full birth certificate and a document confirming I am single. I have my birth certificate.....do I need it to be translated?

Can I get a document here declaring that I am single?

Im am hoping it is cheaper and more straight forward with the Dominican paperwork for my bf.

Thanks.

njswift10141980

May 11, 2009
Seeing as I just got married this past july I can tell your that you need your birth cert and the single status affidavit (I got mine at the D.R. consulate) all of which have to be translated at your nearest dominican consulate. here's a link w/ more info DR1 - Legal

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Should of mentioned I live here.....where is the Dominican consulate here? Or do you mean the British Embassy here in PP?

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
I am in a similar position. I went to my lawyere, got all the documents translated and notarized and must be present to the judicial department at least 10 days prior to the date of the ceremony.

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Maybe I need to be more specific. I am English and have been living in DR for 2 years. I am getting married here and I need the document declaring that I am single. I dont particularly want to fly all the way back to UK to get this (too expensive) Can I just get it here?

Sep 22, 2009
Maybe I need to be more specific. I am English and have been living in DR for 2 years. I am getting married here and I need the document declaring that I am single. I dont particularly want to fly all the way back to UK to get this (too expensive) Can I just get it here?

If you have a Notary (here in DR) that is aware of your situation, they will gladly write the letter for a fee. If you can provide documention from the UK, that will work for some Notaries here as well.

I had my letter written here by my own attorney. Each case "may" be different. Just call and ask if they'll do it.

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Hi,
I thought I would post how I solved my paperwork issue in case anyone else has the same problem.

I needed a document stating that I am single and free to get married. Since I am from the UK, usually you would need to get it there but I live in DR so I needed to get it here.

I went to the Consulate in Puerto Plata and it literally took him 15 mins to do it for me. He did it straight away in Spanish to avoid translating costs, so its all organised and sorted. It cost 4300 pesos.

Hope that helps someone else in the same position.