POP airport?

I have been to the DR at least 20 times and I would like to know if the POP airport is still a circus? I haven't been to the DR in a few years because of the experience at the airport. The guys grab your bag from you and expect money. Does this still happen? I don't mind tipping to breeze through the pointless customs or getting to the head of the line but having to hand out money for nothing is for the birds.

Imbert369

Sep 21, 2008
not like that any more I remember the days when it was one for me and one for you at customs but they have really cleaned up the place now. Very few porters now and if you are taking your luggage and dont look like u r struggling they will leave u alone.

francoisatl

Feb 13, 2007
really they still ride your @ss once you get your bad and expect $10 for 2 bags
and when you are on your way out they try to tell you you need them to take your bag before you can check in and if you say no they try to block you from having your bag screened until you give them your bag and $$ do like i did i am 6ft 5inch just step past them and tell them to jog on

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
really they still ride your @ss once you get your bad and expect $10 for 2 bags
and when you are on your way out they try to tell you you need them to take your bag before you can check in and if you say no they try to block you from having your bag screened until you give them your bag and $$ do like i did i am 6ft 5inch just step past them and tell them to jog on

None of this is true amigo!

ARRIVAL: Upon exit of the terminal they briefly look for propinas, so they won't inspect your bag, unless you have are hiding a 32" LCD, then don't tip them.

DEPARTURE: ALL US bound bags get X-rayed in that curbside machine, they are looking for a tip to help you lift the bag on the X-ray machine, again, if you don't want help, do the old index finger wave and they move on. NOBODY has ever interfered with me physically at POP in 25 plus trips.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Ya Know............... I always have a fistful of 50 or 100 peso notes to hand out.
Its affordable and makes the process work like grease through a goose.

Never have problem this way..... just make sure everybody sees you "contributing to the local economy"........ Gracias and smile.

BTW I do this in most airports

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Ya Know............... I always have a fistful of 50 or 100 peso notes to hand out.
Its affordable and makes the process work like grease through a goose.

Never have problem this way..... just make sure everybody sees you "contributing to the local economy"........ Gracias and smile.

Btw I do this in most airports

Thanks guys. I've never had a big problem getting there. I just grab my bag and look for my prearranged taxi driver. Once there was a guy who opened the taxi door and tryed to get a tip but I just walked around to the other door.

Leaving however is a different story. I just make sure to have some $5's on me.

Is there still that "band" playing when you get off the plane?

Imbert369

Sep 21, 2008
70 for a pequeno is overpriced i pay that for a jumbo in Imbert but no worry i have my cooler in the trunk LOL......

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
It's an airport guys. If you don't want someone to carry your bags, say no.

If the airport intimidates you & you feel the need to hand out money to anyone you don't really want to, I pity the rest of your time here. Silly topic.

Reactions: Tamborista

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i'm always tipping going in cuz you never know. one of them might have a cute sister or cousin :laugh:
going out, no propinas !!!

they're trying to make some dinero i can't fault them. add in the fact that most tourists fall for their ploys.

let me take an old Bible verse; you have not because you ask not.....