Isla Mona for diving...

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Maybe not the right place to ask but at least it has something to do with legal stuff.

My buddies and me (all European) are planning a 3-day dive-trip to Isla Mona and Isla Monito. We only go there for diving and do NOT set foot on the island; we sleep on the boat. Last year we also went there and were inspected by the Coast Guard without any problems. Now I have heard something has changed with the VISA-regulations. Does that also include us? Once again; we will not set foot on either of the 2 islands and just go there for diving.
Any info would be highly appreciated!
Thanks.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
...so..it looks like nobody has any idea....

That means that we just go...maybe we will be back after the 3 days...maybe after 5 years in prison...

Islander777

Sep 19, 2008
May I respectfully suggest that you look elsewhere than a message board about the Dominican Republic for information about visiting a place considered part of Puerto Rico!

With just five minutes research I found a telephone number and some information suggesting that your trip should not be a problem:

The island is managed by the Department of National Resources since 1975. Camping is allowed at Sardinera Beach. For information call: (787) 722-1726. Other activities such as: hiking, bird watching, snorkeling or scuba are allowed and coordinated by the resident biologist. Visitors are welcome, but no more than a hundred visitors can be on the island at any time.

Give the number a call and let us know how your trip goes. I was there four decades ago and found the best diving I had ever seen with crystal clear visibility and large fish, including sharks and rays and tarpon.