Punta Cana to Higuey

D

Daniel

Hi, I'm leaving for Punta Cana in two weeks for the Riu Melao and I want to know if anyone went to the town of Higuey which I think is the closest from where I am. How much it cost by taxi? What to look for in this town? Any other suggestions? What other Hotel are near the RIU chain? Anybody is going there on the 23rd of Jan 99?

Thanx in advance!

Hola

Daniel

H

HECTOR CORONA

the only thing in the town is a famous church thats the only thing there

D

DR One

Check the excursions at your hotel's tour desk. Probably you would be better off traveling to La Romana for a tour of Altos de Chav?n, or best to Santo Domingo (the capital city of the DR) for a city tour.

J

jerry

I just returned from punta Cana, and went to Higuey. It would be a waste of time to go there. It is not the best road,construction, and nothing to see or do,

J

Jake

What about the church that everyone goes to for the annual pilgimage? The basilica of our lady of grace? Isn't this worth seeing in Higuey?

D

DR One

It would be worth it if you rented a car, drove to Higuey, saw the church and then drove to Altos de Chav?n and Casa de Campo, and then back. But have to agree with those who have posted, that it is a waste of $ and time at this moment to just take trip to Higuey. Higuey is site of the Basilica, but that's it. Otherwise, it is the support city/town to the tourism development in Punta Cana-Bavaro. Again, if you want to see a city, take the tour to Santo Domingo.

C

claire dupont

Would it be worth going to Higuey to visit the church and do some shopping? I would think that maybe the prices would be better there than in Punta Cana /Bavaro resort area?

T

tony

i thought the church was very impressive, also the prefab housing [cement] was different, if your adventures take the bus or local transport, take some time ,if your are their to see the sights, go see them and have some fun.

J

Jean-Claude

While staying at Natura Park (Punta Cana), I took the excursion to Boca Yuma. We stopped at Higuey, not just for the basilica, which I found very ordinary (in its kind, the new Guadalupe shrine near Mexico City is much more appealing), but also to see the local market. It was a unique experience, and a real opportunity to get in touch with the true DR. Do not expect an easy walk, especially after a shower. You won't be buying anything, but you will be able to say that you've seen something of the DR, things what most tourists do not get to (or do not want to) see...

One last tip: ask to do the tour with "Franklin". He is from Higuey and he has very interesting things to say... He speaks German, French - quite fluently - and enough English. Oh yes, people also speak Spanish there...

On the way from Punta Cana to Higuey, there is a place called La Otra Banda. A lot of money there (BUT there is an explanation. Ask for it), and pretty little houses. The street market is worth seeing.

The condition of the highways is atrocious. I would not rent a car.

Jean-Claude