Which AI to choose?

Go Blue

Oct 2, 2009
My husband and I are in our late 50's. We will be vacationing in the DR over Easter Vaca. We have been to PC before, several years ago and just loved the beaches, decided it was time to return. (The last 5 yrs we have stayed at the Barcelo complex in RM Mexico) But I'm so lost on which resort to choose.
We would like - nice beach for sunning and swimming; palm trees on beach look great!; premium drinks are a plus but not required; love the feel of open air restaurants/buffets; beach bars are appealing; a mix of people-couples-only can bore us a bit; some liveliness at night - nice bars to visit and meet others, we already know what the shows are like and we like to visit them but usually end up watching from afar at a show bar; snorkling also a plus but I don't think there's much right from the resorts with the calmer waters; luxury not required but friendliness is.
Are we asking too much? :) Any advice will be welcome. Thanks!

dazdolphin

Oct 14, 2006
Hi there, Iberostar Playa Dorada in puerto plata is extremly good, and punta cana side Melia Caribe Tropical. we are going in 3 weeks cant wait. Its just the 10 hour flight!!!! (we are in the u.k) Regards Alan

Everett

Jun 8, 2006
PCana AI's

I viewed the sites for Iberostar & Melia: lovely properties but ooh la la did you all note the cost?
US$1150 per night for the big time suite.
Ouch!
Are these fares for real?
Is there value at these prices?
We were last summer in France and did not spend this much per night in St. Tropez although we did have some help there from family and friends.
Is this the real deal - money-wize - with the upper-end DR AI's?
This January we may just take the plunge and do a Brazil trip at these DR prices - much as we love the country.
It has been a hard go up here in the US and profits are way down. Perhaps resort hoteliers should appreciate that fact.
Best Regards from hard hit Florida!