CAIPS Notes for $5.00

4awildrose

Oct 6, 2009
Hi everyone,
I found a link that advised how to obtain the CAIPS notes free directly from the government. Since the codes are all available on DR1 to help interpret, I took a chance and filled out the form and submitted the consent to release information from my husband and mailed it in. Here are links to both.

Website: www.immigrationguides.com - Obtain your CAIPS notes for free

Form Link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5563B.pdf

I was actually surprised that it came back so quickly. I don't think that is always the case and, even if it took longer, it would be worth while just to have the information and the peace of mind of knowing what is going on with your file. By the way, they do not advise Haiti that you have ordered the CAIPS notes so Haiti would not know that you have received any information.
I know now that SM will be handling our case and when the bring forward date will be. Also the information that they advise the case worker of regarding our meeting, children, etc. I also know what documents they will want and plan to bring them down with me when I go back in November.
Good luck to everyone!

4awildrose

Oct 6, 2009
Oh.... I forgot. I also did not have my "B" file number when I ordered, so I simply put the ID number I received when my sponsership was approved. The "B" file number is on the CAIPS notes, so now I have that reference!

twillis

Jun 22, 2009
Hi, just to clarify. Are you living in canada right now, or in DR with your husband? I ordered mine almost 6 weeks ago and still nothing. I think i may have missed a form tho. We filled out the Use of Respresentative form at the beginning of this process, so I didn't send in the other form they asked (not sure of name right now). Also, I didn't have one signed, so I thought for 5 dollars, i'd send it in and see if being his respresentative was enough. They did cash my cheque though, so I am hoping to receive something soon.

Irina1

Mar 9, 2009
just a quick question what are CAIPES notes are and what are they needed for I have seen refrence to them in a lot of posts but I still dont understand what they are. I am sponsoring from Canada.

Thank you.

Barbie38

Apr 15, 2009
CAIPS is the computer system used by embassy's outside Canada to track the process of an immigration file. The embassy enters information into the system regarding each application and includes information like date in process, extra documentation required, medical screening complete, interview determination etc... They can be useful to have before your interview to prepare for the types of questions that may be asked of your spouse regarding your relationship etc... Often the notes (usually in French) will have some indication of the immigrations officers interpretation of your application. If you have been in process in Haiti for more than three months it would be beneficial to order the notes on your file. Just use the link posted above and make sure to include the additional form to release the information to you which needs to be signed by your spouse. A faxed copy of the form signed by your spouse is acceptable so if you can email them the form, have them sign it and fax it back to you or I guess even scan and return email that is fine.

Also, if you do a search on the DR1 forums you will find other posts about ordering CAIPS notes and the codes to decipher them once they arrive.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Great Explanation Barbie38! Thank you!!

4aWildrose....how is it that you were able to order the CAIPS notes for free?

Here is a quote from another thread where we discussed the fee....

I just applied for the CAIPS notes through CIC, which I was told was free, and they sent back my form saying I needed to pay $5. Not a big deal, but just to save anyone else the trouble, just send them five bucks and get it over with to avoid them sending it back.

From my understanding, the fee is required when a Canadian (typically the sponsor) requests CAIPS notes for an applicant residing outside of Canada.

As well, in additional to the link you provided for the form to request CAIPS notes, there is also another form which needs to be filled out...it is the "Authority to Release Personal Information to a Designated Individual" form.

Here is the link to our previous discussion on "HOW TO ORDER CAIPS NOTES".

See Post #16 for instructions.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/visas/84374-ordering-caips-notes-re-immigration-canada-2.html

If anyone has any other info, please share so we can be sure we have the right info to give out.

Thanks
Sangria

twillis

Jun 22, 2009
That is the form I didn't fill out Sangria. i don't think 4awildrose filled that one out either. We'll see what she says. I'll go check the mail now ;)

twillis

Jun 22, 2009
Nothing again today. i'm going to try to figure out a phone number to call tomorrow and see what they say. You think I'd get a letter or something. Down with two impacted wisdom teeth today, earache and headache. Not fun!

Barbie38

Apr 15, 2009
I found this phone number online to ask about CAIPS 1-613-957-6512 give it a try.

Hope you feel better. Frozen peas are great on your cheeks!

4awildrose

Oct 6, 2009
Hi everyone!
Sorry if I misinformed anyone. I think it must be how you order the CAIPS notes determines the fee.
According to the form: If you order under the Access to Information Act, there is a $5.00 fee. If you order under the Privacy Act, there is no fee.
I did include a photocopy of my Authority to Release Personal Information signed by by husband, which I referred to in my original post, and a photocopy of my passport. I also included a $5.00 cheque just in case but it has yet to make it through my bank account.
sangria is there anyway to change the name on this thread? Maybe..... CAIPS for $5.00??
I don't want to cause anyone a problem. I only posted this because all of the other links I found took me to a site that wanted to charge for the same information that we have the same access to and then charge another fee to deciper the codes. I just stumbled across the website and thought others might like the option to order it themselves instead of through a third party.
My apologies if I caused any misunderstandings.

twillis

Jun 22, 2009
I called this number and they asked me to call 1-613-946-0953. I gave her my name and she said my CAIPS notes were mailed out two days ago.

Jess1

Jul 11, 2009
I'm a little confused.... are the CAIPS notes free or not?

Just for future reference.

Thanks a million!

Sweetkiwi

Jul 16, 2009
I believe the CAIPS notes cost $5.00. It is actually stated right in the request form. $5.00 is nothing compared to the prices that other site was trying to gouge out of us. :)

Barbie38

Apr 15, 2009
Suggested to wait 90 days from 'in process' date in Haiti before ordering the CAIPS notes. I phoned yesterday and was told it will take up to 30 calendar days from receipt of the request for the CAIPS notes. If you order too early there won't be very much information in your file to review! Don't forget you can also contact your MP's office and they can make an enuiry for you about the status of your file.

Barbie38

Apr 15, 2009
I think the biggest things to look for are if any decisions have been made they all end in 'dec' for exampel MEDEC is medical PDEC is paper screening etc.... It should also tell you who is reviewing the file (their initials) and when your bring forward date is which is the next time someone will review your file and for what reason. There are some examples online of CAIPS notes just do a google search for CAIPS notes...however they are just 4-6 pages of information. I wonder if the others that received their notes got them in paper form or on CD as you did??? Good luck!