Luggage Stolen on Carib Tours bus

Susan Reynolds

Oct 14, 2009
We are US citizens and got on bus in Sousa to go to Santo Domingo. When the bus stopped at the first stop in Santiago, my husband went down to the baggage bin to get our water bottle. My luggage had been moved to the first compartment where NO other luggage was. He got the water bottle as the bus driver looked on and went back upstairs to our seats. When we arrived in Santo Domingo my luggage was gone which contained expensive jewelry, clothing, shoes, and laptop computer. The bus driver said he saw someone take the suitcase, but he did nothing to stop it. The bus company does not give any tags for the luggage and we trusted the people and Carib Tours. We spent 2 hrs. on Sunday, Oct. 11 and 2 hrs. on Monday at Carib Tours, but Mr. Juan Feliz, head of security will not let you get past him. He will not even take my name or address and only says that they know of the problem and will "look for" my luggage.
We went to the Am. Embassy, but they cannot get passed Mr. Juan Diaz at Security and Carib Tours will not do anything, except to say he will look for the luggage.

I had to come home in Bermuda shorts, t-shirt, and tennis shoes....all that I had on my back.
This is VERY wrong and makes me NEVER want to go back to Dom. Republic. However, I will go back for a lawsuit against Carib Tours, if necessary. Stealing is evidently VERY rampant and crime and violence are very common. Foreign citizens should be very careful as it is very dangerous. If anyone knows anything to help, I would appreciate anything you can do.

May 8, 2009
You are not the first

This has happened before to a good friend of mine. When he got to the capital, his luggage was missing from below the bus. His Dominican friend who came to pick him up at the bus terminal has friends in high places and somehow his luggage later 'appeared' out of nowhere. Unfortunately his $ was missing out of the luggage.. Go figure.

It is good practice to keep all valuable items with you at all times when traveling on Caribe Tours. Even when they tell you to get off the bus for a 10 min. stop. (Another friend of mine - Dominican - got his bag taken stolen from him when he got off the bus in SFM. Supposedly EVERYONE is supposed to get off the bus for the 10 MIN stop.. When he got back on, his stuff was gone) Also, if you must leave something that you can't risk losing down below, try and sit on the side of the bus where they load it on and keep an eye out the window when the bus is stopped.

You can never be too careful.

May 5, 2007
Relevance?

I have been flying both as passenger, Pilot,WSO and RIO for over 20 years and never crashed; Relevance to op?

They guy had his luggage stolen, I'm not sure what your "safety" record has to do with his efforts to find a solution

I traveled on Caribe tours around 20 times and never had luggage stole or anything else.

Reactions: badpiece33

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
We are US citizens and got on bus in Sousa to go to Santo Domingo. When the bus stopped at the first stop in Santiago, my husband went down to the baggage bin to get our water bottle. My luggage had been moved to the first compartment where NO other luggage was. He got the water bottle as the bus driver looked on and went back upstairs to our seats. When we arrived in Santo Domingo my luggage was gone which contained expensive jewelry, clothing, shoes, and laptop computer. The bus driver said he saw someone take the suitcase, but he did nothing to stop it. The bus company does not give any tags for the luggage and we trusted the people and Carib Tours. We spent 2 hrs. on Sunday, Oct. 11 and 2 hrs. on Monday at Carib Tours, but Mr. Juan Feliz, head of security will not let you get past him. He will not even take my name or address and only says that they know of the problem and will "look for" my luggage.
We went to the Am. Embassy, but they cannot get passed Mr. Juan Diaz at Security and Carib Tours will not do anything, except to say he will look for the luggage.

I had to come home in Bermuda shorts, t-shirt, and tennis shoes....all that I had on my back.
This is VERY wrong and makes me NEVER want to go back to Dom. Republic. However, I will go back for a lawsuit against Carib Tours, if necessary. Stealing is evidently VERY rampant and crime and violence are very common. Foreign citizens should be very careful as it is very dangerous. If anyone knows anything to help, I would appreciate anything you can do.

Greyhound Tells Passengers With Missing Luggage To 'Get Together And Do Something About It'

Is this Greyhound CSR trying to start a revolution among its customers, or simply telling the wife of a passenger that Greyhound doesn't care about lost luggage? She claims he told her to "'get together with everyone else' who lost luggage 'and do something about it.'" Like what?start a support group? Meet him behind the bleachers for a fist fight? Open a detective agency in Tupelo?
Greyhound: Greyhound Tells Passengers With Missing Luggage To 'Get Together And Do Something About It'

Ok well lets start of saying that greyhound is not helpful with what they do they lose your personal items such as luggage and then give you the run around to get it back... well i came from tampa fl back to texas where i live from the holidays get to my destination and my bags were no where to be found and then i went inside of the station and the agent with vtc valley transit couch says to me its not my problem drive back to houston and gave me a form which he was suppose to file and didn't so know i have no clothes no laptop and i have to drive a whole hour to Houston to try to get something done i am frustrated ****ed off and more than all disgusted of the whole situation...

Greyhound Complaints - Lost luggage!

Wow!!! Who should they contact for help? Obama?

The only country so far I'd visited where the bags on buses always make it to their owners is Japan, but I can almost guarantee you that even there it's bound to happen as well!

I keep my eyes around the bus at all times, specially while the luggage compartments are wide open or held ajar for any reason.

A bus is not a jet sitting in the tarmac, anybody can stretch a hand a self serve a fatty bag to take home...

Valuables must always travel with you in the bus interior, not out of your realm of power.

They'll take a look at the security video (if at the stop was one installed) to identify the culprit, if not there's little to nothing they can do to solve that problem. If you want to know if security cameras were present at the site, just pay a visit and carry out a visual inspection for them.

About suing the carrier? Check again the ticket stub and legal stuff written on it... That delineates the contract you entered with the carrier during the trip to your destination.

Caribe tours is a very good carrier, with the lesser problems face by other providers alike.

You can always join the group that greyhound advised riders with lost luggage to form...

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
I sympathize with the OP... but you can never leave your valuables unguarded-

The few times I travelled on Caribe Tours many years ago luckily I had no problems. However, I was always cautious about my belongings meaning anything of value I brought onto the bus with me. Unfortunately, travelling by bus and storing your luggage in the luggage compartment is what I call an open sesame system meaning when the driver opens the door, the passengers technically can take whatever piece of luggage they want. Heaven help the person who tries to take a piece of luggage that does not belong to him/ her or and are actually confronted by the passenger who owns the luggage. IMO, s/he deserves what ever they get.

It seems to me that your luggage was eyed by the thief and singled out for easy retrieval when leaving the bus. I can imagine how frustrating this has been and the sense of violation you must feel. IMO, the bus company should be responsible but if they have a clause on the ticket somewhere that's their way of not having to accept responsibility if passengers lose their luggage. It's pathetic! Well, if the luggage did not fall out the compartment onto the road, it's obvious that it was stolen by a passenger who left the bus at one of the stops.

Would a baggage tag system work like what they have at some airports? For example, a tag on the luggage and the stub is retained by the owner. The driver would have to check for a match when each passenger takes their luggage from the compartment. More efficiently would be two people. One who checks the stubs and one ensuring that no one evades the process. Yes, some security system in place would effectively cost the passengers $ wise and slow down the destination arrival time but who cares in the grand scheme of things. Passengers who paid for their journey should not have to deal with this type of theft anywhere. Since it happens often enough it needs to be addressed or people need to be more radical and boycott Caribe Tours if necessary.

-Marianopolita.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have been flying both as passenger, Pilot,WSO and RIO for over 20 years and never crashed; Relevance to op?

They guy had his luggage stolen, I'm not sure what your "safety" record has to do with his efforts to find a solution

Perhaps I should have added that I would never be foolish enough to leave anything of high value in the luggage compartment. This would apply whether I was taking the bus in a more developed country also. When you see all those bars on windows and high walls around even schools even a newby should realize that the crime rate, especially theft is rampant. By the way, did you contribute to a solution. The likelihood of the OP getting her stuff back is highly remote, but stranger things have happened. Unless the suitcase is huge, most passengers take their suitcase on board with them.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I really am sorry to hear about this Susan. I have used Caribe Tours often in the past eight years to travel from the capitol to the north coast and back and I have not had such a horrible experience. The drivers routinely require luggage to be placed in the compartment under the bus without identifying tags and I have always been leery about the 'system' they use and the possibility of theft. I hope that you get redressed for your losses, but I must say that it is unlikely, particularly now that you have left the country; the 'system' in the DR is not known to be helpful in situations like this. I know that its no consolation to you personally, but your situation will help me and others to be more alert and I am grateful that you have share this information. Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Susan,
I have sympathy for your having had your luggage stolen. Beyond that, your expectations for resolution to the situation are ridiculous.

This is VERY wrong and makes me NEVER want to go back to Dom. Republic. .

Yes, traveling in Bermuda shorts is VERY wrong.

However, I will go back for a lawsuit against Carib Tours, if necessary.

Who are you trying to fool or are you really that silly?

Stealing is evidently VERY rampant and crime and violence are very common. Foreign citizens should be very careful as it is very dangerous.

You had a piece of luggage stolen, therefore stealing, crime, and violence are VERY rampant. Yes, the correlation is as clear as mud.

If anyone knows anything to help...

Keep valuables like expensive jewelry & laptops in a backpack within your sight when traveling in any country, including the U.S.. Remember the good parts of your trip & get on with your life.

Last edited:
Reactions: whirleybird
May 5, 2007
Stolen luggage, Police Corruption, Gypsies tramps and thieves

Susan

No help for your immediate situation, about as much help as the "I told you so, I know better" crowd here, but hopefully you filed a Police Report and it will/should be covered by your homeowners back in USA

I don't know if they even realize it, but when "certain people" try to explain away situations such as theft from a Common Carrier as "routine," it simply makes people leery of returning to the DR or ever going in the first place

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Your stuff is gone. You will never get it back and don't waste your time talking to anyone in authority. You have just been initiated into the D.R.
Think of it as a learning experience. When I travel from Santiago to Sosua, it makes a stop at Puerto Plata. Both my girlfriend and myself get off the Metro bus and watch as the luggage is taken off and we don't get back on until the luggage bay doors are reclosed. We also tie a red ribbon on the handles to quickly identify what is ours. There are thieves all over the world. It was just your time. The one thing that you state that does sound strange is the fact that the bus driver watched your husband take the water bottle from your suitcase thus knowing it was yours and letting someone else take it. EVERYTHING you do here has to be done with preventive thinking. Lesson learned.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
...the one thing that you state that does sound strange is the fact that the bus driver watched your husband take the water bottle from your suitcase thus knowing it was yours and letting someone else take it...

Or, more likely, the bus driver may well have been a spotter for the luggage. What better way to identify potentially valuable luggage than to look for a gringo who has no carry on luggage?

This has even happened to me on American Airlines, though, so I wouldn't fault the entire country of the Dominican Republic. There are thieves everywhere and it really is up to the traveler to protect themselves and their belongings as much as possible.

As for bringing a lawsuit or participating in one, I personally believe that would be a waste of time and money. Caribe Tours is likely the most powerful transportation company in the Dominican Republic. They have way too many 'friends in high places' for a lawsuit on missing luggage to get too far.

Mentioned previously was "Bienviendos a Republica Dominicana". I don't agree because if your friend gets murdered in Philadelphia you don't tell someone "Welcome to Philadelphia". But the reality of your ability to recover the luggage and / or seek restitution is very unrealistic in this country.

Reactions: Berzin
May 8, 2009
Perhaps I should have added that I would never be foolish enough to leave anything of high value in the luggage compartment. This would apply whether I was taking the bus in a more developed country also. When you see all those bars on windows and high walls around even schools even a newby should realize that the crime rate, especially theft is rampant. By the way, did you contribute to a solution. The likelihood of the OP getting her stuff back is highly remote, but stranger things have happened. Unless the suitcase is huge, most passengers take their suitcase on board with them.

Hey Bob,

I always thought those high walls and barbed wire around the schools was to keep the little rascals inside school grounds :p

D

dieselguy

wondering if there is camera. Go for the law suit. they know about this problem... Probably just a way to raise some extra money$. They all might be in on it. Now scared to lose jobs....

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009

It is your first visit to this country I assume.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Wow!!! Who should they contact for help? Obama?

Pichardo, I was suggesting she should try to contact the owner of the company, not the President of the country! :cheeky: I'm a great believer in bypassing underlings & going straight to the top, where I usually find people to be charming, helpful and wishing to avoid bad publicity. Remind me to tell you privately sometime about my little issue with NatWest Bank in UK when I went straight to the Chairman of the parent company RBS (Sir Fred Goodman at the time :ermm:) and ever since any query I've had has been dealt with by the executive office in a timely and professional manner.

About suing the carrier? Check again the ticket stub and legal stuff written on it... That delineates the contract you entered with the carrier during the trip to your destination.

This bit I agree with, but I would suggest to Susan Reynolds that even if she was to find she had grounds for a lawsuit, she should be aware that as a non-resident she will have to deposit a hefty bond to initiate a suit, plus she will have large legal fees, probably well in excess of what the losses are worth. Her other option would be to make a claim on her holiday insurance, but as IslandDreaming said, she would have needed to have filed a police report.

Folks, can we try to offer more in the way of helpful suggestions to deal with this lady's predicament now, as opposed to homely advice on safety precautions at the time? One of these days a poster here is going to turn out to be the editor of Cond? Nast Traveller, or somesuch.

Reactions: IslandDreaming

TheHun

May 4, 2008
"This is VERY wrong and makes me NEVER want to go back to Dom. Republic. However, I will go back for a lawsuit against Carib Tours, if necessary."

I really feel your pain, however the only thing that you will figure out is that most lawyers are also thieves -even bigger than the one who stole your bag - and you will just waste more $$$$. Just save all the $$$ and replace your valuables and next time don't let your expensive items out of your sight. Thieves are everywhere, in the US, Italy, France, etc...

The Hun