McDonalds

Imbert369

Sep 21, 2008
Hello all my wife has been bugging me to take her to the McDonalds in Santiago. Now I have no reason not to but does anyone know if it tastes the same as in the States. I really dont want to be dissappointed that my Big Mac is not what it is suppose to be.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Not much difference at least in Santo Domingo...

It's as close as it can get. I have been to McDonald's more than once in Santo Domingo and depending on what is that you like about McDonald's, I was not surprised at how similar it tasted given that I do believe they strive to keep their taste/ recipes universal. The only exception I noticed was the cheese because it's not the same sliced brand used in the USA. Therefore, the taste of the cheese was different. One plus for me was that the fries were not laden with salt which normally in the USA I can't eat the fries because they are very salty.

Give it a try. However, it may depend where you go in the DR. I know you said Santiago. The SD McDonald's I have been to were okay.

Yes, I agree that it was quite expensive.

-Marianopolita.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Micke D's here sucks BIG TIME. Meat not the same, cheese not the same, last but not least, the bread isn't even close. Try it and please report back on here and let's hear what you think. For free....yuk...real cr*p

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
I believe........

........that the two McDonalds in Santiago are as close to the US as possible. RECENTLY...........

About 2 years ago, for some reason, at least one of them seemed to have changed the menu and renamed the sandwiches and it was terrible..............
.........they have since changed back to being "normal"...

I have been to both of the Santiago McDonalds in the last month and they are as close to the US as you can get..........

........I'd give it a try if that's what you're looking for.......

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
I've gone to two McDonalds in Santo Domingo the one in the Metro Centre Mall and the one on Maximo Gomez, I wouldn't make it regular fare, but I didn't find it to be that bad. Price I don't remember if I considered it more expensive or not, based on what others have said I guess it is more on the expensive side.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Actually, that's good news. I was there 3 years ago and haven't been back since. It was so bad. With the posts here, it sounds like they made a big change for the better

Imbert369

Sep 21, 2008
Thanks Guys, POP its not what iam looking 4 but some times u have to bite the bullet to keep everything good. My concern was not to be tramatized by the taste of such an icon.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Keep in mind that McDonald's split the DR into three territories (SD, the North, and the East); with each being exclusively franchised to different companies. So, while technically whether you eat at a McDonald's in Santiago or in Santo Domingo or in San Pedro, its all supposed to be the same; you are in fact buying from three different franchise companies and that can often manifest itself in different quality / promotions, etc.

Having said that, the whole country is one giant Burger King territory and as many of you probably noticed, Burger King seriously outnumbers McDonald's in the DR.

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ
D

dieselguy

I think we are crying out for a really good ground chuck hamburger w/cheese that has some grease and is not double cooked.
I gave up on micky's ,even if it is family. Not the same and a bit more in price. Taco bell is not far away and popular w/ the jet set.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
To those with taste concerns,
.... I would stay away from the Dominoes Pizza at Pola (LaSirena) on Bartolome.

The cheese they use is something else, makes the pizza really taste bad.
This was a couple years or so ago. We tried twice, never again there.

Other Dominoes stores were great, just not this one.

Don

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I dont think the Micky Dees in Santiago are that bad. The Meat taste about the same, the bread is not as good as in the states, but have been to all of them in Santiago and have never had complaint except that the cost will be more then the U.S.
It makes you wonder, Everyone thinks that the DR people are so poor, but everytime you go in a Mc Donalds here they are always jammed with hungry Dominicans paying almost 8 bucks for a number 1 Big Mac not so much of a value meal.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I don't get why people keep saying the McDonalds here are so expensive. A Big Mac or Quarter Pounder Value Meal is 170-180 pesos...that's about $5 USD..."supersizing" adds 30 pesos (less than $1)...They also have several "McAhorro" meals for 110 pesos...or about $3...is it that much cheaper in the US?

As for taste and quality, if you like McDonalds in the US, you'll like the McD's here, at least in Santiago and SD...I don't go all that often, but when I do, I find it to taste pretty much the same as the US - even the fries.

Can't say the same thing for Burger King...tastes completely different than in the US...

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I hate being a stickler!

That would be a 2 all beef patties, special sauce,pickles, cheese, lettuce on a sesame seed bun;)

It's actually, "Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun." Enjoy!!

Imbert369

Sep 21, 2008
isnt it onions, pickles on a sesame seed bun ( I may be wrong iam waiting 4 a commercial)

Last edited:

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
isnt it onions, pickles on a sesame seed bun ( I may be wrong iam waiting 4 a commercial)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/en4muUSIRT4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/en4muUSIRT4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited: