Puerto Plata to Punta Cana

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinyt

Oct 20, 2009
I've read some very old posts from 1999 and was hoping things may have changed in the last 10 years. There are four of us flying to Puerto Plata in December and on the 4th day we need to get to Punta Cana for a wedding. I can't seem to find any airlines that fly between the two cities. If you know of any can you please leave me info on them.

Also, I don't want to ride the bus so it looks like we might be renting a car. Is this horrible to do or what? I know it is about a 6-8 hour drive which is fine with us because it sounds like we will get to see the whole country and enjoy the views. Are the roads horrible and are the signs still not very visible that we will get lost?

Does anybody have any suggestions on how we should go about doing this? Our travel agent thinks we're out of our minds because he has never heard of anybody doing this.

Would love any advice you can give me.

Thanks!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i would be interested in answer regarding airlines too...
there used to be regular flights between POP and PUJ (small airplanes) but apparently no more. miesposo called aeropuerto luperon to check if there is alternative to long drive and he was told no scheduled flight, private charter only. they wanted 800 dollars for a return ticket for the two of us!
it may make sense for more people - i guess this 800 dollars will be divided by the number of people on board...
it looks like we will have to drive as well.
tinyt, what about renting a small van with a driver or taking a cab? may be a better option for you...

tinyt

Oct 20, 2009
DV8 -

I would be more than interested in somebody driving us to punta cana. Where would I look for that?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
tinyt, from POP airport one can take taxi to punta cana at 450 dollars, i believe. just speak to any taxi driver in your hotel and negotiate.
you mentioned there is four of you so maybe do consider a plane - costs will be similar and trip will take less than one hour. plus the views of DR.

tinyt

Oct 20, 2009
DV8,

Can you suggest a charter airline out of aeropuerto luperon so I can check on prices?

Thanks

Last edited:

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Then, there's still the bus.

One thing that really has me amazed is that the FAD (Dom Air Force) would not offer an island covering affordable air service as seen in so many other Latin American countries. Would seem a great way to pay for planes and keep pilots in the air. I suggested that to some high official at the POP air base once during a visit... he was awestruck... never heard of such a thing... really, couldn't believe it.

... J-D.

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
Any updates on the takeoffweb flight from POP to PUJ?

Has anyone taken this flight lately?

I tried contacting them to see the avail. for Thurs Dec 3 flight and received no response.

Thanks

carib

Jul 16, 2002
Take off

I believe they are no longer flying, but the company is now a travel agent... I heard. There is another company flying a couple times a week POP-PUJ with one stop, but I do not have their name. I am sure someone knows????

carib

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
none now

No sked flts from POP to Punta Cana, only charter with SAPAir.com
and Volair; don't know their website.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
since we could not get a flight we drove from POP to PC. took us 10hrs (including 1hr stop in SD). from higuey on there are no road signs. nada. zero. not even one. we got lost several times :)
what boggled my brain was not only the lack of signs for PC or bavaro but also a complete absence of any signs pointing towards the airport. as if it did not exist.

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
No sked flts from POP to Punta Cana, only charter with SAPAir.com
and Volair; don't know their website.

Wow...

No scheduled flights. Must be the reason takeoffweb has not responded to my emails. They should update their website. This changes my plans quite a bit. Thanks for the info.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Ive taken the Takeoff/SAP flight, and it's great...but I haven't used them recently. For four people though, even if they are still flying, it would be quite expensine, it's close to $200 each way p/p (with taxes). Driving or hiring a driver may be a better choice. The bus is obviously an option but it will take you all day...8-10 hours.

Driving is probably the best option and you can do it in about 6 hours, the roads are not that bad, in some cases brand new or recently paved...and you will definitely see some great scenery...if you leave in the morning, you won't have to worry about driving at night...and as long as you drive cautiously and stay alert (for pedestrians, potholes, motos, cows!, etc)...it's not really dangerous at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.