Are Aids tests free?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yes. There are many places that do these tests. COPRESIDA (?) is the president's group that works with AIDS..

HB

blanca

Jan 23, 2003
What happens if?

What happens if ? you are positive ? do you get kicked out of the country?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if you are positive you cannot get residencia but it is not a ground for deportation...

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
I assume you are looking for an HIV (VIH in Spanish) test, which is different from an "AIDS test". The HIV test measures your antibodies or T-cell count, which shows if your body is fighting the HIV virus.

AIDS is caused by HIV and determined by the number of CD4 cells, which is a different test. The "AIDS test" is usually only administered to people already known to be HIV+.

I had to get an HIV test for my Dominican work visa. I got it at a private clinic. I was SHOCKED when the driver for my organization went to pick up my results (without my knowledge) and got them without any problem. So much for confidentiality!

Reactions: mountainannie

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I am certainly not one to make apologies for the Catholic Church, but the problem with the availability of HIV/AIDS testing and with actually getting people tested for HIV, is prevalent in non-Catholic countries as well. One only need look at many African countries. Privacy is a really big issue, and I am not sure how that issue can be effectively addressed. The people who need to be tested know full well that a positive result will be known in thier community, place of employment, etc., and that they are likely to suffer adverse consequences as a result. Sadly, those who need medical attention go without testing and treatment and they die horribly.