Costambar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
I plan on relocating next year and looking at different areas. Made two trips this year and have another next month. I would love to see an objective and informative discussion regarding the pros and cons of living in Costambar. I plan on looking at apartments in several areas of the north coast this trip.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
costambar

I live in Costambar and love it! I have owned an apartment there for several years and bought a house a year ago. It is a nice place with everything you need within walking distance.

the beach is nice, there are lots of great restaurants, the golf course etc.

I wouldn't live anywhere else

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
We do too...........

....love Costambar..............

.......but there are a few that will beat it to death...........

........but I'll tell you one thing, stay here in Costambar for 3 days and where they are for 3 days.............and Costambar will WIN hands down........

Over 15 years here..........:bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny:

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
pros - close to Puerto Plata where you can enjoy the amenities (the few that exist that is) without living 'in the dump.'

pros - nice beach

pros - (loosely) gated
pros - a variety of restaurants and bars

cons - the road into Costambar is usually a moonscape
cons - the beach becomes a mob scene on weekends and holidays
cons - some crime but where don't you have that?

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Futher Thoughts On Costambar

One thing that I've not seen mentioned in comments about Costambar: it is a community. There are multiple 'quiz nights' held each week. Last season we had the opportunity to watch first run movies ('Milk' and 'Slum Dog Millionaire' are two that come to mind) on a giant projection screen at a private home. This was done as fund raisers for the community, and open to all. We count among our friends people from the DR, US, Canada, Cuba, Germany, Switzerland, England, etc., etc. We have been welcomed into the homes of 'Costambarians' in the US, Canada and England, and I know of many neighbors here who have done the same.
You can be a 'social butterfly' or a 'hermit' here. There are opportunities for charitable work, as well.
The people who live in Costambar are, in the main, tough, opinionated but most importantly, realistic about life in the DR. We argue amongst ourselves over the best ways to make Costambar better. Most telling, I think is that I've never heard anyone be 'defensive' about life here. We know what we've got, we would rather be here than anywhere else, and when it comes to problems, like the road to the gate, we 'deal with it'. As my wife said 22 years ago, when asked to describe Costambar, "it ain't Bermuda". (Thank God)

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Water has been supplied by INAPA for the last three or four years, so we get water like everyone else who is tied in with them.
Planned 4 hour electric outages are per the EdeNorte published schedule, for the most part. We still have the 'unplanned' outages caused by exploding transformers, downed power lines, etc. Most everyone I know has a four or eight battery inverter. Mine is good for six to eight hours, so most often the power goes off and comes back on without notice. If all else fails, we kick in the generator. "It ain't Bermuda!"

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Hiya,
I asked a similar question some time ago if that's any help to you.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/73693-thinking-investing-property-costambar.html

I also backed it up with an actual visit (including traversing the famous road) and viewing four or five properties there during our search.

Hope it helps a little towards contributing to your info store.

Tropical Regards
Reidy
anpalmisl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.