International Climate Action Day in the DR

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Tomorrow, Saturday 24 Oct., is International Climate Action Day, a day when people around the world conduct events designed to draw attention to the issues involved in global climate change and the push for a new international agreement on measures to deal with it.

A Dominican NGO, "350Dominicana" [350 refers to the global carbon cap levels they advocate] will be sponsoring several events across the DR, in Santo Domingo, La Romana, Bavaro, San Pedro de Macoris, and San Juan de la Maguana. For more info about 350Dominicana, check out their webpage at 350Dominicana | Justicia Climatica -

The Santo Domingo event will be an afternoon "eco-picnic" starting at 2:30 PM in the 4 km mark in Mirador del Sur park. Here's the poster for the event:
Flyer-350-Web-791x1024.jpg

The event in La Romana event will be a bike ride followed by tree planting in Cuenca del Rio Dulce. Those interested in participating in this event should meet the bicyclists at Avenida Santa Rosa at 10 AM. The email contact for this event is Ellis Magdiel Gomez: ellismagdielgomezestrella@gmail.com

The San Pedro de Macoris event sponsored by Fundaci?n Santa Lola will involve helping kids creating a wall mural on the climate change theme. Any graffitti or "tagging" artists out there (hey, I'm thinking you, Lu!) this may be the event for you. It starts at 3 PM at 9 #1, Barrio Los Maestros.

The tree planting in San Juan de la Maguana is sponsored by Club Rotario Maguana (the Rotary Club), Rotaract Maguana and Rotaract San Juan, with help from the regional office of the Environment Ministry. They plan to plant 500 trees in the Santiles community, starting at 8 AM.

There's also supposed to be an event on the beach at Bavaro starting at 3 PM, but which part, I'm not clear on and there is little info provided about it on the net, other than to say it will include beach clean-up, games, street theater and circular dances... The organizer there is some group calling itself Tierra M.

Maybe Chiri or another DR1er out in the PC-Bavaro area knows something about Tierra M or the Bavaro event?

Tropicdude

May 26, 2009
I would have liked to go to this, but seems there is nothing in Santo Domingo, and driving to these places wouldn't be very "green".

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
You didn't really read the post, then. The first event I mentioned, just above the poster, was an event in Santo Domingo's Mirador del Sur park -- that in fact was also the event mentioned in the poster. So you could have gone.

Tropicdude

May 26, 2009
Oh snap, I must have had a brain fart, OMG, for some reason I only read the text below the poster, I definitely would have gone to that.