Male birth control injection?

Zeffer_o

Oct 23, 2009
So, I live in the US and I'm dating a Dominican guy. He's from Santo Domingo and has been here in the States for a couple of years now. When we were discussing birth control options, he said that he once received an injection to render him sterile for 5 years. I thought this sounded bogus, especially after a Google search yielded no results, but then I spoke to a friend who is married to a Dominican man and he said this thing exists. Anyone heard of this? Is it as shady as it seems?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
CTV News | New male contraceptive injection appears effective

They appear to be testing it in China. Injections were once a month for 24 months according to the article. It acts to block sperm production temporarily. Anyone talking about one injection only must be referring to........embalming fluid. :cheeky:

But note, normal reproductive function returned 6 months after stopping injections. This is a contraceptive measure it would seem, not a sterilisation method.

Look up the study in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism.

Sep 22, 2009
So, I live in the US and I'm dating a Dominican guy. He's from Santo Domingo and has been here in the States for a couple of years now. When we were discussing birth control options, he said that he once received an injection to render him sterile for 5 years. I thought this sounded bogus, especially after a Google search yielded no results, but then I spoke to a friend who is married to a Dominican man and he said this thing exists. Anyone heard of this? Is it as shady as it seems?

From today's NY Times Health section:

"Dominican barrio men on forefront of big-pharma R&D"

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Bogus

There are no male birth control options like that. Just condoms and vasectomy.

Sometimes in some states convicted sex offenders undergo "chemical castration", wish involves getting a Depo Provera or similar shot every month or couple months, enforced by their probation or parole office. Basically the hormones make it difficult for them to get any kind of erection or sexual arousal.

I have heard of that story being used by men as an excuse because they just don't want to use a condom. Watch out, maybe the guy just wants to get you pregnant to achieve something else he has on his mind. There are many myths that go around about women's birth control as well. So, beware...

If you want to catch him in a lie, ask him where he got it, where on the body it was injected, what color the injection was, how much it cost, etc. and see how good he is at making all of it up.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Lying like a rug

completely untrue, he is "storying". There is no such thing. Sounds like a weak effort to avoid using a condom.

Zeffer_o

Oct 23, 2009
He says he got it in DR, of course, and that he received 2 injections. I asked him if it was in a dark alley somewhere and he said that it was completely legit. *sniff,sniff* I smell BS.

Mar 2, 2008
Ask him to take a fertility test, and see how fast he runs.

I'm sure he'll run just as fast if you tell him you're pregnant.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
even if there was such thing like male contraception i'd still take my pills. you cannot trust them buggers to do anything right ;)
looks to me that this dude is looking to impregnate someone, to some it is a source of pride to claim many illegitimate kids they never pay or care for.
nod, smile and use your own contraception.

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
... and don't forget the condom to protect against STD, unless you are absolutely sure that both you and he have been "faithful" for the last 6 months; :ermm:

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
... and don't forget the condom to protect against STD, unless you are absolutely sure that both you and he have been "faithful" for the last 6 months; :ermm:

why 6 months? STD's can last years, or even your lifetime and sometimes you dont even know you have something. ALWAYS use a condom! especially if you're unsure, or have even thought that your relationship is not monogamous.

I was always told it's better to be safe then sorry.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
confusion of incorrect information

Because birth control information is not readily available to many because of religious interference in proper education, the poster may have been confused.

Here is the information on HIV which may have confused her-.him.

An HIV test will not detect the presence of the HIV virus immediately after exposure. Statistics show that 96% (perhaps higher) of all infected individuals will test positive within 2 to 12 weeks. In some cases, this may take up to six months.

Think about this: if you got a negative test at six weeks, would you believe it? Would it make you less anxious? If so, go for it. But to be certain, you will need to be tested again at six months.
Comprehensive Guide to HIV Testing

Please remember that while HIV is the most serious STD, it is certainly not the only one. Do not forget herpes etc etc etc

and that really all important sexually transmitted condition of pregnancy!!