Best place to buy a generator?

headnerd

Dec 28, 2006
Does anyone have an opinion on the best store/company/place to buy a 15-20kw diesel or propane generator?

I'm looking for the best combination of price/quality/service... although I recognize that, on this island, I probably cannot find anyone that excels at all three.

I'm looking for a second generator for my compound - not too thrilled with my current vendor.

Thanks!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Does anyone have an opinion on the best store/company/place to buy a 15-20kw diesel or propane generator?

I'm looking for the best combination of price/quality/service... although I recognize that, on this island, I probably cannot find anyone that excels at all three.

I'm looking for a second generator for my compound - not too thrilled with my current vendor.

Thanks!

If you are the North coast, I would suggest Pappaterra in Gasper Hernandez - they seem to have a good choice at reasonable prices and offer good service.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Your very best bet for that size is going to be either Danilo Hidalgo on the Hwy to Navarrete from Santiago, or Antillana Comercial on the Hwy to Sto Dgo from Santiago.

We have a 20 kw set up with Antillana and service has been outstanding. No problems in more than three years. Great engine, excellent generator. Of course, my boys did the installation of the automatic panel and switches...

HB

A third option is Amaro Motors, also on the road to Navarrete, just after the Shell station past the roundabout going towards the West. All three enjoy pretty good reputations.

headnerd

Dec 28, 2006
Folks - thanks for the advice... can anyone tell me (more specifically) where Danilo Hidalgo is located? I've seen a lot of the Denyos out there and everyone seems happy with them. I also noticed that the generator rental companies use them... which I suspect means they are pretty tough.

Thanks, in advance, for the additional help.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
like I told you, Hidalgo is on the highway to Navarrete. If you are coming through the tunnel it will be on your right hand side after you pass by the light of the Free Zone...(the only light between Santiago and Navarrete)...

You had best check each of those three suppliers. You get what you pay for. I think we paid in the neighborhood of 300k pesos, but that included a bit of construction (which you are welcome to come and see.) and the automatic transfer case and wiring.

HB