Cash & tidbits for Minerva Feliz and friends

imsteiner

Oct 19, 2009
Minerva,
Thanks for you answers in the past. You seem to know the place very well, thanks for the logical advice. I later realized my mistake about Pelempito, thanks.
Sounds like the way to go to Bahia is to rent a decent vehicle and drive most of the way in and then walk the last bit. It would be great to be on foot in the area as well (as long as you are prepared for the desert conditions as you said). I think the key is to get and early start and to drive safe, im sure you would agree!
Flying into Punta Cana, we will be acclimatizing in Bayahibe for a few days and then casually heading to the South West. Of course we will checking out the culture in Santa Domingo and maybe head inland and cool off in a place like Constanza. I really only wish to rent a vehicle when I get nearer to the South West as the traffic is a bit lighter and we can relax a bit more while cruising down the coast (hopefully all the way to Pedernales) which leads me to my finally questions.
Concerning gua guas and other transport, do they take US$ or should I prepare to have a few hundred in small bills in Pesos?, im also assumming that most restaurants and hotels will take U.S dollars. Will this matter in the less touristy South West? Or is U.S $ accepted pretty much universally around the country? And finally, my wife is in love with fresh fish! You know, when they bring you the entire cooked fish on the plate! Can we still get this great treat on the South Coast and the South West? My wife has been to D.R before but it was years ago, you know how things change. Stay cool, C

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Bahia de las Aguilas

Minerva,
Thanks for you answers in the past. You seem to know the place very well, thanks for the logical advice. I later realized my mistake about Pelempito, thanks.
Sounds like the way to go to Bahia is to rent a decent vehicle and drive most of the way in and then walk the last bit. It would be great to be on foot in the area as well (as long as you are prepared for the desert conditions as you said). I think the key is to get and early start and to drive safe, im sure you would agree!
Flying into Punta Cana, we will be acclimatizing in Bayahibe for a few days and then casually heading to the South West. Of course we will checking out the culture in Santa Domingo and maybe head inland and cool off in a place like Constanza. I really only wish to rent a vehicle when I get nearer to the South West as the traffic is a bit lighter and we can relax a bit more while cruising down the coast (hopefully all the way to Pedernales) which leads me to my finally questions.
Concerning gua guas and other transport, do they take US$ or should I prepare to have a few hundred in small bills in Pesos?, im also assumming that most restaurants and hotels will take U.S dollars. Will this matter in the less touristy South West? Or is U.S $ accepted pretty much universally around the country? And finally, my wife is in love with fresh fish! You know, when they bring you the entire cooked fish on the plate! Can we still get this great treat on the South Coast and the South West? My wife has been to D.R before but it was years ago, you know how things change. Stay cool, C

Hope you have a few weeks for this trip...

First...have pesos for the Southwest.. it is far away from the tourist zones. The only bank in Pedernales is BanReservas and they routinely run out of money over the weekends. Most hotels there will not take cc ...

Second.. the DRIVE from Azua down the Coast to Pedernales is one of the great all time drives of the World!! good road, spectacular scenery, great little stops. There is a stop called Los Patos where the little waterfall runs into the sea and you can have your fish right there on the beach... so I would indeed drive.. at least from Barahona --- search the threads here as there is a car rental available in there.

NOTE that Pedernales is about 5 to 7 HOURS from Santo Domingo if you drive NON STOP which you are not going to want to do. It is about two and half hours from Barahona, through national park territory with cacti the size of men, barren, and quite ... well... sorta spectacular in an eerie way...

Third... The boat ride from the entry at Los Cuevos into Bahia de las Aguilas is the way the majority of tourists see the bay and is quite a spectaclar way to do it as you pass by some extremely beautiful pristine cliffs and offshore islands... There is very little shelter, ie shade in Bahia, nor are there any facilities, no water, etc... so BRING water and BUG spray with you... The water is crystal clear and amazing. But for most folks, unless you are going to camp, a few hours is plenty. You get a great Fish lunch there at the resto where you get the boat.

The south west is in fact the heart of the commercial fishing industry for the DR, I believe. No problem finding fish!!

hope this helps..

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
a new thread

ok I see that you started a new thread instead of continuing on...

and I see that you are perhaps not listening to what we are saying about Bahia ... that there are no facilities that the bugs are voracious and hungry and that most people find a few hours sufficient...

ok

this is your first trip here

and we do not know you

and perhaps you have hiked the Sahara, who knows?

perhaps you can trek in the miles of desert with no shade carrying all the requsite water and shade gear and swimming gear and bug spray

perhaps you have the dark skin of the Moors and can absorb this hot tropical sun with no ill effects

know that we are only trying to keep you safe....

:bunny::bunny::bunny:

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
that there are no facilities that the bugs are voracious and hungry and that most people find a few hours sufficient...

I agree! Even for the most seasoned of sun-worshippers amongst us, it is VERY hot out there and shade is almost non -existent...which is why in no time, even water becomes tepid out there and does not quench ones thirst.

Based on personal experience, 2 hours is the absolute most I can honestly recommend....but again, each to their own!

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
I say it's worth it to spend the whole day, not just a few hours, at Bahia. Especially considering what you pay for the boat. I've never found the bugs to be bad (although you should bring repellent) or tired of it...in fact, I NEVER want to leave when the boat comes! Still can't get enough of the sand and blue waters.

Again, I would recommend driving your car out there to the boats, parking it, and taking the boats. Unless you have a 4x4 you won't even be able to drive part of the way out there and walk. It's sand, your car might get stuck. It probably wouldn't make it up the first smaller hill. And, since there is nothing out there, you are looking at lugging all of your supplies. You will get enough of seeing the landscape from driving out there. In the boat the cliffs and water offer a nice view.

It's best to have pesos to pay for everything in the Southwest. There are plenty of reliable atms in Barahona.

Fried fish available at los Patos and San Rafael beaches, but also at any establishment along the coast.

Rent the car in Santo Domingo. I don't know of any places in towns further south than that.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
car rental

there was a poster called destinationbarahona on here last year who had cars to rent in Barahona .-. search the threads-----

If you could rent in Barahona, I could certainly skip the part of the drive from the Capital to there... nothing much to see really....... it is from Barahona on south that it gets so gorgeous..

And, Minerva. I suspect the bugs do not eat you anymore because you simply do not taste foreign to them!!! But even us Capitalenos are just different enough to call for a feast!!

Bring GOOD bug spray!!!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
also

I would stay in Pedernales for two nights.... Although Minerva likes Barahona, I find it a big city and only just pass through.. but if you do Bahia in one day and Pelempito the next that is two good days... and the town is sweet.

Know that all the hotels fill up EVERY week end so if you arrive without a reservation you are out of luck

search the thread for the names of the hotels.

enjoy

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
there was a poster called destinationbarahona on here last year who had cars to rent in Barahona .-. search the threads-----

If you could rent in Barahona, I could certainly skip the part of the drive from the Capital to there... nothing much to see really

We rented from him and picked up the vehicle at Hotel Quemaito (although we didnt stay there).
He was incredibly helpful with excellent tips and even provided us with great maps of the area and surroundings.

It was a small vehicle but brand new and more than adequate for the terrain and we went all the way up to Jimani, Lago Enriquillo, Pedernales and Bahia de las Aguillas.

Good luck!