Dominican finalist in Latin American Idol

Sep 22, 2009
Whereas the numerous finalists across various porgrams such as England's Got Talent, American Idol and Latin American Idol seem to have "talent" elements, I personally feel, with the exception of say Paul Potts and Susan Boyle, we are really seeing a "dumbed down" version of talent.

Some sort of modern ratings-getters like American Idol and its respective "winners" just don't seem to come close to individuals such as Madonna, Shakira, Elton John, Yo Yo Ma, Lang Lang, and of course the famous composers of history.

Are we "dumbing down" talent like we are dumbing down aptitude tests in the US?

Sep 22, 2009
I suppose you could think of it as "dumbing down" by artificially speeding up the process of making a star. I think of it this way. What is popular is not always "good" if you were to have a truly objective rating system. It is very difficult to have an objective system to rate what will be popular. Programs like American Idol are based upon popularity. They want the winner to sell a lot of records and make the sponsors a lot of money.

Sometimes the best singer wins. I don't think Popularity contests have ever been events where the most talented always wins.

The other stars you mentioned had to reach their levels over long periods of time. They have the talent, perseverance and some luck to make it and stay on top. The instant success of American Idol contestants artificially speeds up that process with no assurance that these instant stars will be around for the long term.

Right on the money! I guess my reply was more to do with a personal irritation to all this "instant star" reality marketing programming.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Dominican pride

Martha Heredia; this is the name of the 2009 Latino American Idol winner, she is from Santiago, "Cibaena de pura cepa".

JJ

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
anyone ever heard of Margarita Henr?quez ?? she was the Panamanian winner in
2008. i can't even google anything she has done since winning. i hope that the dominican winner can succeed more.