Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting a Dominican Passport

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Dom. Passport?

There are better countries for getting a passport in Latin America. The D.R. is best for just residency cards.

Bob

On Probation...
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobsimmons View Post
    There are better countries for getting a passport in Latin America. The D.R. is best for just residency cards.

Bob
    Right. No value. But a Swiss passport... Now we're talking!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by El Rey de Mangu View Post
    Right. No value. But a Swiss passport... Now we're talking!
    I didn't know that Switzerland was in Latin America

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Bob
    And the Dominican government is better of taking your money every two years.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are the child of a Dominican national, and have a cedula, this is the final step in the "legalization" process. If you can get it, and it's cheap , why not? There are benefits to having dual citizenship, and for those who inherit it, it is worth getting, especially at a cost of a few hundred dollars, for the complete process.

For non-Dominicans, the benefits might be minimal. I will say that having a DR passport allows you to travel to certain places with no visas, or cheaper visas. For example, it is easier getting in and out of Cuba, and a visitors visa to Brazil is much cheaper for a Dominican, than it is for an American. There are other examples of this with other countries. I also like the idea of not having to carry around a US passport everywhere. I'd much rather lose my Dominican passport, than my American passport any day.

Is a US/UK passport beneficial? Yes. If you have one, great, but a second passport could do no harm.

Mr. Lu

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lu View Post
    I will say that having a DR passport allows you to travel to certain places with no visas.... Mr. Lu
    Sir:

Can you tell me which countries you can travel to with a Dominican passport without a visa?

Thanks, Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Sir:

Can you tell me which countries you can travel to with a Dominican passport without a visa?

Thanks, Bob

Have a look at this thread http://www.dr1.com/forums/visas/6109...visa-free.html

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting note. I phoned the Brazilian Embassy in Santo Domingo last week, inquiring about visa costs for a friend. For a US American citizen to get a Brazilian Tourist Visa, the cost is US$130 dollars! Compare that to US$20 dollars for a Dominican citizen.

So, outwardly, having a Dominican passport seems of no value, but upon further review, there are certain benefits.

Mr. Lu

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool reply

Thank you both for this information and I am waiting for an updated list of countries a Dom. citizen can travel to without needing a visa. I am sure someone who is knowledgeable can supply this.

Bob

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool updated list

The list to update is found here:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/visas/6109...visa-free.html

Thanks and happy holidays to everyone, Bob

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast