restoring the Malecon

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
from todays DR1 news

The president of the National Hotels & Restaurants Association is calling for close cooperation between the municipal authorities, the Police and the Ministry of Tourism to restore the splendor of Santo Domingo's seafront boulevard, the Malecon. Haydee Kuret de Rainieri is in London, attending the World Travel Market trade show. As reported in Diario Libre, Kuret de Rainieri told reporters that the Malecon now suffers from a general state of insecurity and neglect. "We are lobbying for a meeting between the Minister of Tourism, the Mayor of Santo Domingo and the Chief of the Police because the Malecon needs to be made safer," she is quoted as saying. She also said it is affected by robberies, prostitution and damaged sidewalks, making it less attractive for tourists to stroll along the boulevard. She also criticized the lack of streetlights. She said that all this needed to be done now that Santo Domingo has been named American Capital of Culture for 2010. The Malecon is the setting for the city's largest concentration of hotel rooms.

I vote for this one!! but if they start to talk about taking down ONE SINGLE OLD TREE we are going to have to rally the Honduras team to come and bail me out and take care of the dog for the scene i am gonna make.

We walk there every morning and it is SO gorgeous and only really needs some care and attention, some cleaning and paving and pride of place, flower planting would be nice... and paint in the play areas

and no more please of those silly grandiose plans in the big glossy books which are going to cost billions of pesos... half of which will be pocketed.

you can do all this work just by putting people to work

and for goodness sake, do not get that architect who did those ugly tiny buildings involved in this one!!

Sep 22, 2009
and for goodness sake, do not get that architect who did those ugly tiny buildings involved in this one!!

Where I am lost: The architect had to get those plans signed off in the first place. Who signed it? Can you imagine that conversation?: "I love it - roll with it Jim"