We need a fence!

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Does anyone who lives in Las Terrenas (or anywhere in the northeast) know the approximate cost per foot to install a chain link fence?
Are there other less-expensive fences that can be used to secure our property from stray cows and potential thieves?
And can you recommend someone who does this sort of work?

Muchas gracias!
Susan

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Great idea, however, we need a barrier NOW and don't have time to grow cactus or othjer sharp plants-- :ermm:

Facility

Sep 3, 2008
Plants can be bought up to 1-meter high and dug in - enough to stop any cows now, and much better on maintenance - any chainlink will require regular painting-over, while cactus will get only better.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Barbed wire would be the fastest and cheapest I would think. This will keep the cows out, probably not the thieves but then chain link wont either. any one in the compo will know how to string barb wire

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I expect it to be very high given that you are a foreigner and because it is Las Terrenas. When you get you price contact me and I'll see if I can get it done cheaper. More than likely it will be a lot cheaper even though the fellow would have to come from Santiago to do it. Not to worry, he works all over the country.

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Hi Susan:

Go to the Mahatma Ghandi library and talk to Jose and his wife Annette. He might know someone that can build the fence for you.

One thing to keep in mind, though, do not pay it in advance. Pay when the job is completed or you will never see your fence nor the money.

Juniper

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
hmmm how could anyone recommend someone that runs off with your money lol - I understand the principal of what you are saying- people often ask for money to buy the stuff to do the job though

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
hmmm how could anyone recommend someone that runs off with your money lol

You are right! But not everyone does, and that's why I am recommending
Jose because he might know someone that you might be able to trust
(a little bit, anyway) LOL

Regardless, I wouldn't pay up front!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The best thing for the op is to put sufficient info to be able to do a quote and also the local quotes they receive and then see if someone here in the forum can beat the price through the personal references they have.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Cows do not burglarize houses.

Are there other less-expensive fences that can be used to secure our property from stray cows and potential thieves?

Yes, cows can be a nuisance, but they don't steal money or TV-sets...
And a normal fence would normally keep them off, unless your pool is the only drinking trough near.

I looked at the photos you shared with us.
The "View from our backyard" shows that your property borders on open fields (most likely the swamp belt of Las Terrenas). I was told that this is (and always has been) an ideal hiding place for potential thieves to monitor all your movements and strike while you or your guests are out.

Of course, a "malla cicl?nica" fence will not stop the thugs, nor would a wall in such a place (unless it's 4m high).
Nowadays you see many walls topped with razor wire. I for one, however, would not like to be fenced in like that and holidaymaker would certainly be put off likewise.

Bottom line: I do not think that your house can be made safe at justifiable costs for the time being.
Once more houses are built in the vicinity security will improve.

Last edited:
Reactions: ben jammin

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The best thing to do to secure your house is build an 8' wall around the immediate vicinity and then put in a motion sensor security system. You can leave one section in 8' chainlink with barbed wire for future expansion if need be. There is really no wall/fence worth building that will keep any theif out, but an alarm system will typically scare them away or at least give you advance notice so you can do that.

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
I'm in LT and can't thank you'all enough for this excellent advice--muchas gracias!!! (I'm definitely ordering the last poster's warning sign, but will pass on the camera!)
I've been working with a wonderful Dominican friend so I don't have to pay "gringa" prices and my best quote (so far?) for approx 30 meters chain-link topped by razor wire, PLUS razor-wire on top of existing 30 meter-long wall:$3,300US labor+materials-- False sense of security: Priceless!!!!
Fortunately our Gitmo fence will be hidden behind the existing "jungle" and it should keep the cows out of the pool :)

I will check for any add'l responses tomorrow but must get on this pronto!
Thank you again-
PS: Juniper, are you here?!
PPS: Hola Ninapup!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Concentration Camp Looks

chain-link topped by razor wire

Unless your property is on a busy main road, this combination is a waste of money.
Don't forget to put razor wire on the gate, too. :bunny:

donP

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
I agree, DonP! It looks like we're going to do a wall after all (unintentional rhyming!) I'm off to discuss plans right now and wanted to first check on this add'l forum wisdom---thank you!

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Hi Susan:

I am not in LT. Will arrive on the 3rd of December. Sorry I'll miss you.
Good luck with your fence and if you order the sign, don't forget that it
should be in Spanish!!! English won't do.

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Love the "Four Thieves Vinegar"-and the store is located in Kentucky where we live--I'll check it out! LOL

This whole fence business is very draining and frustrating-- And to think it's being caused by just a couple "bad apples-" :(

PS to Juniper: I'll be here when you are! And we're bringing our sweet dog, Sally, too(unfortunately,she's not a doberman!! :)